• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Akron Hires Jim Tressell

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Huber.

Adrninistrator
Reaction score
.....as vice president of strategic engagement

AKRON, Ohio -- Former Ohio State University football coach Jim Tressel, introduced this morning as the University of Akron's new vice president of strategic engagement, said he was drawn to the job by the chance to continue working with students.

Tressel met with 28 leaders at the student union at 8 a.m. to talk about his job, a new post that was created for him. He told students that he wants to use his connections to build relationships between the university and community.
Tressel also told students that he wants to learn from them what the university needs and then will help find the resources to support those programs.

Tressel, who will report directly to university President Luis Proenza, is scheduled to start work on May 1, at a base salary of $200,000, pending approval by university trustees.

He will focus on student success and the Akron Experience program, which will offer students learning opportunities outside the classroom such as service projects or opportunities in their field of interest.

He said he plans to develop connections throughout the region by reaching out to alumni, friends of the university, future students, local schools and businesses.

Tressel -- already wearing a lapel pin depicting Akron's mascot, Zippy the kangaroo -- was accompanied this morning by his wife, Ellen, and Proenza.

After the meeting with students, Tressel and Proenza appeared at a news conference. Tressel said he and the president started talking about a possible role at the university when Tressel and others advised Proenza on a search for a new football coach late last year.

Tressel also has a close connection to Akron's provost, William "Mike" Sherman. Sherman, who started the Akron job in 2010, previously had been vice provost for academic planning and professor of sport and exercise science at OSU, where he had worked for 25 years.

"Jim has touched thousands of lives in positive ways," said Proenza. "He has incredible energy and demonstrates leadership, passion and compassion for students. We feel fortunate that he has decided to bring that dedication here to the University of Akron. Our students will be the beneficiaries."

Tressel said: "I have great memories of my time at UA and, more importantly, I feel a real sense of family when I'm on this campus. I am inspired by the vision of President Proenza. I admire what he, the leadership team and the faculty have accomplished over the last decade to build the reputation of the University and lay a strong foundation for student success. I'm looking forward to being part of the spirit of innovation that drives the University of Akron."

Tressel had met with the Indianapolis Colts last month about the head coaching job, and acknowledged today that he had talked to officials at Baldwin-Wallace College and Wittenberg University about their presidential searches. Tressel declined to say how far those talks had progressed.

One of the most successful football coaches in Ohio State history, Tressel's 2002 Buckeye team won a national championship. Under Tressel, Ohio State went 8-1 against archrival Michigan -- and he is the only OSU coach to win seven straight games against Michigan.

Tressel resigned from the OSU job in May amid an NCAA investigation of rules violations.

Tressel's first college coaching job, as a graduate assistant, was at Akron, where he earned a master's degree in education in 1977. He first made his mark as a head coach at Youngstown State, where he won four national championships at the Division I-AA level.

Tressel, 59, is scheduled to appear this afternoon at Berea High School, his alma mater. He earned his bachelor's degree from Baldwin-Wallace College.
He also coached at Miami and Syracuse universities.

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2012/02/post_555.html

I wish I got fired and someone created a made up job position for me that payed $200K

I go to Akron.. Maybe he knows a good tattoo place

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."