• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Pluto: Childress, WCO, and the draft

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
I felt like this until last night. The throw that Eli makes on the sideline to Manningham did it for me. We need a QB that can make that throw, at all costs. Those throws win games.

Granted that was a great throw, but what good is a great throw if we don't have a receiver on our offense that could pull that in?

God, this offense has more holes than swiss cheese. Hopefully we get VJax or Colston. Doubtful though.

Hey, defense and a slightly above average offense just won the Super Bowl.

While drafting Claiborne wouldn't surprise me, my biggest surprise would be ANYONE knowing exactly what the Browns plan to do. Their first round plan in the last two drafts have been completely impossible to predict.

For some reason, some people still view the Giants as the Giants of 4 years ago. They aren't that dominate defensive team anymore.

Giants offense was 9th overall at 24.6 PPG.

Giants defense was 25th overall at 25 ppg allowed.

The Browns on the other hand were 5th overall at 19.2 ppg allowed (20 spots better than the Giants) and yet they went 4-12. IMO it should pretty much be common sense that the Browns need to go offense.

For some reason, some people still view the Giants as the Giants of 4 years ago. They aren't that dominate defensive team anymore.

Giants offense was 9th overall at 24.6 PPG.

Giants defense was 25th overall at 25 ppg allowed.

They dealt with a lot of injuries on defense during the regular season, which is why they only finished 9-7 this year. However, they got healthy toward the end. They finished strong giving up only 84 points in their last 6 games. 4 of those games were against top ten offenses in the league.

I felt like this until last night. The throw that Eli makes on the sideline to Manningham did it for me. We need a QB that can make that throw, at all costs. Those throws win games.

Speedy you and I are on the same page. This a QB league now with all the rule changes. We will never see another Dilfer. We need to draft a franchise QB. End of story. But if the Browns don't feel that RG3 is a franchise QB then I'm all for taking the best player available, offense or defense.

If the Browns do go defense, the defense could be amazing if they hit on the picks. The Browns could try to create their defense this season, and then only have to worry about the offense in the future. I highly doubt this will happen, but what if they took defense with their first 3 picks (or 2 out of the 3). The defense could look something like this....

CB: Haden, Claiborne, Brown, Skrine

S: Ward, Young/Adams/Brown

LB: DQ, Cocong, #22/36, Maiva

DL: Sheard, Taylor, Rubin, #36/22

That is a very young defense that would be together for the next 5 years (or more). Obviously our offense would still be terrible, but at least we'd have one side of the ball figured out.

If the Browns do go defense, the defense could be amazing if they hit on the picks. The Browns could try to create their defense this season, and then only have to worry about the offense in the future. I highly doubt this will happen, but what if they took defense with their first 3 picks (or 2 out of the 3). The defense could look something like this....

CB: Haden, Claiborne, Brown, Skrine

S: Ward, Young/Adams/Brown

LB: DQ, Cocong, #22/36, Maiva

DL: Sheard, Taylor, Rubin, #36/22

That is a very young defense that would be together for the next 5 years (or more). Obviously our offense would still be terrible, but at least we'd have one side of the ball figured out.

Another good corner, a great pass rushing DE, and an elite LB and the defense is definitely set. Doubt you can get all three in this draft but it's fun to think about. Come to think of it, with us running the 4-3 now I don't know if a truly elite LB is all that necessary.

<style type="text/css">
table.tableizer-table {border: 1px solid #CCC; font-family: Verdana, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 10px;} .tableizer-table td {padding: 4px; margin: 3px; border: 1px solid #ccc;}
.tableizer-table th {background-color: #104E8B; color: #FFF; font-weight: bold;}
</style>
<table class="tableizer-table">
<tr class="tableizer-firstrow"><th>CATEGORY </th><th>BROWNS</th><th>LEAGUE RANK</th></tr> <tr><td>Total First Downs</td><td>278</td><td>25</td></tr> <tr><td>Total Offensive Yards</td><td>4621</td><td>29</td></tr> <tr><td>Avg Yards per Offensive Play</td><td>4.51</td><td>30</td></tr> <tr><td>Total Touchdowns</td><td>20</td><td>30</td></tr> <tr><td>Total Rushing Yards</td><td>1531</td><td>28</td></tr> <tr><td>Avg Yards per Rushing Play</td><td>3.7</td><td>32</td></tr> <tr><td>Rushing Touchdowns</td><td>4</td><td>32</td></tr> <tr><td>Total Passing Yards</td><td>3090</td><td>24</td></tr> <tr><td>Avg Yards per Passing Play</td><td>5.42</td><td>30</td></tr> <tr><td>Passing Touchdowns</td><td>16</td><td>27</td></tr></table>

This tells me offense needs to be the sole focus. We were bottom of the league in everything.

Thing about the Giants is that they have a great QB. The Browns have a terrible QB and have had about 30 terrible QB's for going on 11 years in a row. The fact that I'm hearing nothing about the Browns wanting a QB tells me the Browns may very well want a QB.

Regardless of how great the defense is, if you can't score more than 13 points a game, you're not going to win more than 6 games a season. The Browns QB situation is not even in the same stratosphere as the Giants or hell...anyone really.

If they don't take a QB this year, when will they take one? You can lock the Browns up for another top 5 pick next year with Colt McCoy at the helm and a bunch of defensive picks. I want to solidify the defense as much as anyone, but again...13points a game isn't going to win games regardless of how good the defense is.

Thing about the Giants is that they have a great QB. The Browns have a terrible QB and have had about 30 terrible QB's for going on 11 years in a row. The fact that I'm hearing nothing about the Browns wanting a QB tells me the Browns may very well want a QB.

Regardless of how great the defense is, if you can't score more than 13 points a game, you're not going to win more than 6 games a season. The Browns QB situation is not even in the same stratosphere as the Giants or hell...anyone really.

If they don't take a QB this year, when will they take one? You can lock the Browns up for another top 5 pick next year with Colt McCoy at the helm and a bunch of defensive picks. I want to solidify the defense as much as anyone, but again...13points a game isn't going to win games regardless of how good the defense is.

I'd be fine with that as long as the defense showed it was going to be dominant, because next year should see at least a couple franchise QBs in Barkley and Wilson. Hopefully, anyway. But a lot of people will not be fine with it. They want everything fixed RIGHTNAW. Rizzo and the rest of Cleveland sports talk radio was already calling for H&H's heads this year, in the fucking second year of a new regime. If they suck again next year all bets are off. Shit might hit the fan. Fans will be going nuts.

So it depends on what theory you advocate. Placate the fans and go all offense and go big with the RG3 pick and other offensive pieces, basically praying that RG3 is the real deal...or do you look at next year and figure we should just solidify the defense even more and make it potentially elite in the near future, but sacrifice another year of terrible offense and risk alienating the fan base and turning the temperature up on your regime by about 500 degrees.

Claiborne is the only defensive player I consider taking with our 1st pick.

Let's say we can get Manning and Colston in free agency. This goes from a terrible offense to a good offense. And if they draft all defense, it goes from a good defense to potentially a great defense for the next 5 years. Not saying I totally agree with doing it this way. Even if I did, it'a a long shot we can even get Manning. And I would prefer RGIII if he is available in the draft. It's just there are more ways to improve this team than just going all offense in the draft.

I'd be fine with that as long as the defense showed it was going to be dominant, because next year should see at least a couple franchise QBs in Barkley and Wilson. Hopefully, anyway. But a lot of people will not be fine with it. They want everything fixed RIGHTNAW. Rizzo and the rest of Cleveland sports talk radio was already calling for H&H's heads this year, in the fucking second year of a new regime. If they suck again next year all bets are off. Shit might hit the fan. Fans will be going nuts.

So it depends on what theory you advocate. Placate the fans and go all offense and go big with the RG3 pick and other offensive pieces, basically praying that RG3 is the real deal...or do you look at next year and figure we should just solidify the defense even more and make it potentially elite in the near future, but sacrifice another year of terrible offense and risk alienating the fan base and turning the temperature up on your regime by about 500 degrees.

I don't want them taking the fan base into consideration at all. The fan base as a whole thinks irrationally and the last thing I want is for them to start making emotional decisions a la trading up for Brady Quinn. I want them to take the BPA at any position, but with a MAJOR stress on QB.

If you don't think RG3 is the guy, by all means...skip out on him and take your BPA. But if you think there's a more than 50% shot that he's THE guy, I think you have to take him. You just can't keep counting on some great QB to be sitting there for you when you pick.

It's just there are more ways to improve this team than just going all offense in the draft.

I'm not personally asking for them to go all offense. Just asking them to take RG3 if they think he's going to be a great (hell I'd take good) QB. A good QB would work wonders for a much maligned receiving core that hasn't had a single legitimate QB throwing the ball to it since they all entered the league. Who knows how good or bad they are?

Anyone who has read my posts in the past two years know how I feel about Colt and the need for the Browns to find a franchise QB. Attacking my post, which was about the quality of the Giants offense overall, is a strawman fallacy. Did you watch the whole game? Was the Patriots defense spectacular in holding the Giants back, or did the Giants struggle for much of the game against a defense the was lit up most of the regular season?

Manning is a better than average QB. Somewhere between 5th and 10th in the NFL right now. I'd take Rogers, Brady, Brees, and Rothlisberger over him without hesitation. After his strong overall regular season and his second championship ring, he is in the conversation for #5. Before this season, I'm sure most of you would have put him behind Vick, Rivers, Romo, Ryan, and possibly even Palmer.

Last edited:
Manning is above average with great receivers. All three of their receivers (Nicks, Cruz, Manningham) would easily be a #1 on the Browns. Manning gets a lot of credit for the throw, but that catch was unbelievable. To be able to make that catch and keep both feet in bounds, was incredible. I think people are overrating the throw, and underrated the catch. Of course Cruz was undrafted, Manningham was a 3rd round pick and Nicks was a late first round pick which proves that a good WR can be taken at a later time (unless you're Mangini drafting:))

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."