• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Game 29, Kings @ Cavs, Sunday 19 February @ 6 PM ET

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RikSmits

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Date: Wednesday, Jan. 25, 2012
Where: Quicken Loans Arena
Time: 6:00 pm [EST]

Sorry, but I’m going to deviate from the usual format here, and give a sort-of scouting report.

I took on this game, hoping to write about a grudge match for both Omri Casspi and J.J. Hickson against their former teams. However, since both have faded into obscurity at their new teams, this has become a non-issue.

Sacramento is a bunch of individuals, lacking cohesion, synergy, a specific style and defense. This team simply doesn’t defend that well. There are some players who are adequate individual defenders (Cousins, Thompson, Salmons, Hayes), but as a team, their defense is atrocious. Their biggest weakness is defending the pick & roll. With AV out, Irving should try to run the p&r game often with Erden (if he'll play), Samuels or TT.

On the offensive side, the Kings can be dangerous in the open court and if you allow them to pound inside. Their field goal percentage is bad, but they are one of the best offensive rebounding teams in the NBA, and a lot of extra opportunities at close range can overcome poor shooting nights. Be sloppy with the ball, and they will punish you. Coach Smart (8-14 record) hasn’t been able to implement a real system yet, so their game isn’t very sophisticated. But he has the individuals playing a bit more to their strength than before. One thing you’ll see is Jason Thompson passing out of the high post. He’s not spectacular, but can be effective.

So the plan against Sacramento seems very simple; take care of the ball, control the tempo, protect the middle, and set a lot of picks.

And never assume with a big lead that you have them beat, because if Thornton, Evans. Cousins or sparkplug Isaiah Thomas get going, they can score a lot of points in a hurry. They seem best playing a three-guard lineup, with Evans essentially as the small forward. They opened with such a lineup against Detroit.

Sacramento Young Guns:
Kings_Young_Guns_JPG.jpg

Kings starters:

PG – Tyreke Evans (17.3 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 5.2 apg, .413 fg%); Evans has regressed since his rookie year. He seems to lack court vision and is too ball-dominant to be real playmaker, but is less effective when another runs point and can’t control the ball as much. His jumper (too many fadeaways) is not much of a threat, but he can find his way to the rim often, even when everybody knows he almost exclusively finishes with his right hand. He just doesn’t know how to play the p&r, on both sides of the floor.

SG – Marcus Thornton (17.5 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 2.0 apg, .404 fg%); Thornton is a fearless chucker. There might be shots that he doesn’t like taking, but he does a great job of masking such dislike. Thing is, he can go 2-11 for 3 quarters, and then explode for 15 points in 4th. He truly has no fear. No defense either.

SF – John Salmons (7.1 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 1.8 apg, .358 fg%): Salmons was brought in as a veteran presence, and the solution for the SF spot. He has been neither, and is having one of his worst seasons, on both sides of the floor. Having been left out of the starting line-up for the first time in Friday’s game against the Pistons. You think it’s frustrating to watch Jamison? Feel a bit better after you see how Salmons stops all ball-movement, dribbles a hole into the hardwood and then clunks another shot.

Game-winner, missed FT to force overtime, season-ending injury? Salmon’s expression never alters, is a study for poker players, and great for Valentine Cards:
salmons.jpg

PF – Jason Thompson (7.9 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 1.0 apg, .524 fg%): Thompson is a decent man defender, but not great at team defense. He doesn’t demand a lot of touches, works hard and is a much needed glue guy on a team of ballhogs.

C – DeMarcus Cousins (16.6 ppg, 11.4 rpg, 1.0 apg, .453 fg%): when Coach Westphal essentially made the Kings choose between him and Cousins, it was a no-brainer. DMC has flourished under Smart, and is averaging 20.2 ppg with 12.4 rpg in his last 10 games. Yes, he is emotional and a bit of a whiner, but the red flags have been a bit exaggerated. this guy has all the tools to be the next dominant C in the NBA, especially on the offensive end. He has incredible hands and great footwork, while he is nimble for his size. Without AV to stop him, DMC could have a monster game.

Kings bench: a motley crew, led by Chuck Hayes, who had trouble with a dislocated shoulder and bad conditioning. He can offer some good D and rebounding, but not much else.
Rookie Isaiah Thomas, is small, fast and energetic; a change of pace sparkplug and the most natural point-guard on this team. As the last player taken in this draft, he has been a nice surprise.
Jimmer is still adjusting to the NBA and playing the point, and the going has been tough. Defensively, he is as bad as advertised.
If you think the Cavs SF position is problematic, know that Sacramento has Donte Greene and Travis Outlaw to back up Salmons. That is more than US $ 13,000,000.- tied up in a badly aging vet and two non-factors who show just enough glimmers of potential to earn a nice paycheck.
Then there’s the veteran Francisco Garcia, who guarantees at least one boneheaded play per game.
And let’s not forget JJ Hickson, well-known in Cleveland. JJ is averaging 5.2 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 0.6 apg, .382 fg%.

And so that I don’t break with every tradition…

RandomnASS:

donkey.jpg

Okay then, one Dutch babe:

NEW-EVENT-Brand-los.jpg

doutzen-kroes-trouwen.jpg

doutzen_kroes_hot_girl_monokini.jpg

Sorry, I'm going to deviate from the usual format here, and give a sort-of scouting report.

Don't be sorry! Love when folks get creative. :thumbup:

From the PD:

• C Semih Erden expected to start for #Cavs v Kings in spite of sore left wrist.
• Hollins has a sore knee, Gibson a sprained ankle, Parker out.

Going to the game tomorrow night, hopefully this will be a better, and fun game to watch than last night.

So what's the deal with Parker? Any time table or is he out for the season? Our lack of SG is killing us.

So what's the deal with Parker? Any time table or is he out for the season? Our lack of SG is killing us.

There was a vague update a few days ago, saying he might play in the upcoming week. At this point, it would surprise me if he played before the All-Star break (3 more games). Might as well rest him and see if he has anything left after that.

Let's win by a million and put that last game behind us.

Even though I have great seats to this game because of what I witnessed last night, I have absolutely 0 excitement to go to this tomorrow.

I just want Max to guarantee this one....

Going to the game so pumped thanks for the free tickets!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont care if they win or lose, just look better than they did on Friday night

Isaiah Thomas is listed as the probable starter for the Kings, so they will essentially have a three-guard lineup, with Thomas, Thorntan, Evans, along with Thompson and Cousins.
Thomas loves to push the tempo, so the Cavs better be awake at tipoff.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."