• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Antawn Wants and Expects to Remain with Cavs

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pierre Pan

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2012/02/cleveland_cavaliers_antawn_jam_2.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Antawn Jamison said his goodbyes in the locker room late Wednesday night as teammates scattered for the All-Star break. He's not planning any more farewells, however, until the Cavaliers clean out their lockers after their final game.
The 35-year-old power forward, who's enjoying his best stretch in Cleveland, not only wants to remain with the team for the rest of the season, but he also expects to still be here after the March 15 trade deadline.
Jamison, who has an expiring contract, and point guard Ramon Sessions are the two players most rumored to be dealt from the rebuilding franchise. There's also speculation that Jamison could be bought out if a suitor isn't found. But with the Cavs in playoff contention and the veteran performing so well, management might be compelled to keep him.
"Honestly, deep down inside, I don't want to go anywhere, and I don't feel like I'm going anywhere," Jamison said. "I enjoy playing with these guys. These guys are very receptive to what I tell them and what I do on the court."
Jamison has played a central role in keeping the Cavaliers (13-18) in the hunt for one of the final Eastern Conference playoff spots, a development few imagined when the season began.
He is averaging 22 points, nine rebounds and an outrageous 36 minutes in 11 February games.
Since center Anderson Varejao fractured his right wrist Feb. 10, Jamison has registered 39 minutes or more three times.
"The way he has played the past couple of weeks has been fantastic," said coach Byron Scott. "I have played him a bunch because I'm looking down the bench and saying, 'I don't have another guy who can do what he does.' "
Some Cavaliers fans have never warmed to the 14-year veteran, acquired from Washington in a three-team deal on Feb. 17, 2010. He was supposed to be the final piece to a championship team that instead flopped in the second round of the postseason. Jamison didn't play well and neither did others, as stunned fans watched LeBron James peel off his Cavaliers' jersey for the last time in Boston.
All-Star Weekend schedule
Orlando, Fla.
Today
Sprint NBA All-Star Celebrity Game, ESPN, 7 p.m.
BBVA Rising Stars Challenge, TNT, 9 p.m. (Cavaliers rookies Kyrie Irving and Tristan Thompson will be participating).
Saturday
All-Star Practice, NBA TV, 11:15 a.m.
NBA D-League All-Star Game, NBA TV, 2 p.m.
NBA All-Star Saturday Night, TNT, 8 p.m.
Shooting Stars, Skills Competition (Irving to participate), 3-Point Shooting Contest, Slam-Dunk Contest.
Sunday
NBA All-Star Game, TNT, 7 p.m.
While the nucleus of that flawed club was gutted, Jamison and his large contract remained. He was part of the NBA record 26-game losing streak last season and fractured his little finger a year ago this week.
"It was a whirlwind when I first got here. I couldn't get my feet on the ground," Jamison said. "Last year, I had a lot of personal things going on [but] this year, all of that stuff is behind me and I can just concentrate on playing basketball and having fun with these guys. It's as much fun as I've had in a while."
Jamison is the only Cavalier who played during the 1998-99 lockout-shortened season, and in December let his young teammates know what to expect during a condensed season. He's also taught them the value of conditioning, appearing in all 31 games, averaging a team-high 32.6 minutes and a second-best 17.4 points.
On a roster with few legitimate scoring options, he has taken pressure off rookie point guard Kyrie Irving and allowed his heir apparent, Tristan Thompson, to develop at a more gradual pace.
Some fans are perturbed by his shot total -- he averages 16.03 per game (17th most in the NBA) -- and his penchant for getting beat defensively. But few players his age are being asked to take on such a large role.
After back-to-back poor team efforts against Chicago and Atlanta in late January, Jamison spoke out about the individual play creeping into the Cavaliers' game. It hasn't been an issue during the past month.
"He is giving us everything he can on the court and off the court," Scott said. "He has been a great mentor to our young guys -- Kyrie and Tristan, especially. He has been a great role model on the floor as well -- a true professional."
But being in the playoff picture won't stop Cavaliers' management from making moves that are best for long-term growth. Whether that includes jettisoning Jamison isn't clear.
Until then, he will log his minutes, take his shots and try to get the surprising Cavaliers into the postseason. He won't be back next season, but he's not ready to leave just yet.
Starstruck: Irving and Thompson flew to Orlando to participate in All-Star Weekend. Both will play today in the Rising Stars Challenge. Irving will also compete in the skills competition Saturday.
"It is a dream come true," Irving said. "I followed it at home, watching All-Star activities. Being able to enjoy it firsthand, it will be a great experience."
Irving and Thompson will play on opposite teams in the Rising Stars Challenge.
Dribbles: The Cavaliers will return to practice Monday night. . . . Their first two games after the break are against Boston and New York, teams that currently occupy the final two playoff spots.

I expect his frightening eyebrows to take over his body and start controlling him like a stephen king novel

Thanks for the kind words, Antawn, but if the chance arrives we'll have to trade you. :gap:

I really dont care what they do with antawn. I doubt any trades will materialize nor do i see the point in a buyout. Jamison is consistent in his play even if his shooting percentage isnt. He works hard on team defense and does what the coach ask him to do.

I really dont care what they do with antawn. I doubt any trades will materialize nor do i see the point in a buyout. Jamison is consistent in his play even if his shooting percentage isnt. He works hard on team defense and does what the coach ask him to do.

No point in a buyout? We would buy him out so we don't continue to rack up worthless wins that he helps us get. Towards the end of the season, when we win games, it better be solely because of guys like Irving, Gee, Thompson, etc. No more pointless wins influenced by veterans who won't be here next year.

No point in a buyout? We would buy him out so we don't continue to rack up worthless wins that he helps us get. Towards the end of the season, when we win games, it better be solely because of guys like Irving, Gee, Thompson, etc. No more pointless wins influenced by veterans who won't be here next year.

pointless? why because you say so?

If jamison moves. Scott isnt going to give up on winning. he will make adjustments.

Primarily you would see Irving turned into a volume scorer as opposed to an efficient one. personally I dont want to see that. Having a guy like jamison on the roster allows Irving to develop the way he should be. as an efficient scorer and an oppurtunity to develop as a facillilator nor do I want to see casspi taking 15-17 shots a game. or thompson forcing jumpers. or hey how bout parker taking 12-15 shots a game.

I dont look at the team in terms of wins and losses. I look at development.

On the main forum all I saw was "Antawn Wants and Expects..."

I was pretty sure it was going to read "to be traded" or "a trip to the fountain of youth"

this was disappointingly unexpected

On the main forum all I saw was "Antawn Wants and Expects..."

I was pretty sure it was going to read "to be traded" or "a trip to the fountain of youth"

this was disappointingly unexpected

Jamison said this earlier in the season.. it really was what prompted the destinations for jamison thread

I don't blame him...Cleveland is an amazing city this time of year.

Bigger problem than what to do with AJ..Cavs need a center in the worse way.

not yet.

by the way, anyone else bothered by the notion in the article that the Cavs would hold on to Jamison because they need him to grab the 8th seed in the East? I mean, do we put it down to standard newspaper fodder, not being honest about the team's aims, or what?

No team in their right mind would trade young assets for Antawn. You can wish for it all you want but it's unlikely gonna happen.

so hed rather get paid everything hes owed while getting big minutes, having the offense run through him, and shooting whenever he wants as opposed to agreeing to a buyout and getting less $, being a role player and being told not to shoot as much?

not yet.

by the way, anyone else bothered by the notion in the article that the Cavs would hold on to Jamison because they need him to grab the 8th seed in the East? I mean, do we put it down to standard newspaper fodder, not being honest about the team's aims, or what?

Oh I know they can't get one now,but I see no team banging Grant's head to trade for AJ.
I noticed Scott is pretty exasperated with all of the quasi centers they have...meaning they don't have one to fill in.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."