• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Derrick Rose signs $200 Million Dollar Plus Endorsement deal with Adidas!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
I am not bashing CLeveland at all. I have lived here all my life and love the place. You need to stop being so sensitive.

There are plenty of league MVP's from smaller markets (Steve Nash,KG) that never saw a fraction of the contract Rose got from Adidas.

To pretend this doesn't play into these guys minds is putting your head in the sand. Having Rose in the 3rd largest media market in the country makes him more valuable to Adidas, and to think otherwise is naive.

I bet you would tell me that Chris Paul's star power won't grow now that he is in L.A as opposed to NO won't you.

Lebron is the exception, as once in a generation talents usually are when it comes to endorsement money. Market didn't matter with him. For "normal" stars that aren't transcendent "I.E everyone other than Lebron/Kobe) it absolutely factors into the equation.

I don't like it, but I accept it is the world we live in. Doesn't make me a Cleveland hater. No need for the inferiority complex of lashing out and attacking when anyone says anything about Cleveland that isn't all Rah-Rah.

I think this has more to do with Adidas going "all in" with D. Rose in an attempt to make a splash in the basketball market than it has to do with big market players getting huge endorsement deals. I mean, Rose received a deal worth roughly $1 million per year as the first overall pick in Chicago as a rookie in 2008. Kobe Bryant, a big name in an even bigger market, had a $40 million 5 year contract with Nike. This sort of deal is setting a precedent in the NBA and it has everything to do with a desperate sneaker company looking to gain more exposure in a sport owned by Nike, and they're doing so by throwing bags of cash at a young superstar and reigning MVP who has been carrying his team the last few years. They're looking at Rose as their James... I don't think their primary motive is the Chicago market (although they now have a chance to win over Jordan/Nike fans with Rose).

They can't afford to lose him to Nike. He is all they have pretty much. And Dwight but his reputation might take a hit.

The market in which a player plays in means little, probably close to nothing, when these endorsements come about. IF you're a special enough player and you are getting exposure at the same time when the NBA itself is experiencing a boom in talent and in fan interest then you'll get paid as long as you're doing special things on the court, jersey be damned.

This isn't 1980 anymore.

Rose's face when he signed this deal

sketchbookderrickrose.gif

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."