• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Potential destinations for Ramon Sessions

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Would you rather have O.J. Mayo, John Jenkins, or Kris Joseph (the best wings projected to be available when the Lakers pick?

Tough question. I'd love to get Jenkins but I'm not sure I'd take him over Mayo. Depends on what else (besides Sessions) would have to be given up to get Mayo from Memphis or to get the LAL pick.

Los Angeles Lakers Trade Rumors Involve Ramon Sessions

The 25-year-old Sessions started 38 of the 81 games he played in for Cleveland last season, averaging 13.3 points, 3.2 rebounds and 5.2 assists per game. So far this year, after being pushed into a reserve role behind rookie Kyrie Irving, he has averaged 24.9 minutes, 10.5 points, 3.2 rebounds and 5.3 assists per game.

However, in four starts this year he has averaged 17.8 points and 11 assists.

Sessions has a $4.55 million player option for next season that he probably won’t exercise, which is why Cleveland will try to trade him before the deadline, instead of running the risk of losing him for nothing.

The Lakers would likely use the trade exception they earned by shipping Lamar Odom to the Dallas Mavericks to make any deal for Sessions happen, but its not certain what Cleveland would want in exchange for the backup point guard.

Another guy Los Angeles has been pursuing in recent weeks is veteran guard Kirk Hinrich. If the right deal came along the Atlanta Hawks would be willing to part with Hinrich, who missed the first month of the season after shoulder surgery.

The 31-year-old Kansas product has been solid in a backup role since returning, and his contract is up after this season. That means the Lakers wouldn’t be putting a lot of cash on their docket for the future. He would be a short-term upgrade that they could cast loose after the season.

With how improved the play of Fisher and Blake has been over the past few weeks, the Lakers may actually decide not to part with any assets to acquire point guard help. If they could get Sessions and possibly work something out to keep him around for a while, that might be their best option. He’s only 25 and can clearly do some things at the NBA level.

But don’t expect Los Angeles to give up one of its first-round picks or someone with Goudelock’s potential in exchange for a short-term rental.

March 5, 2012 1:04 AM EST (10-4//10:04PM Pacific
Midwest Sports Fan - By Ryan Phillips (Link)
(and Yard Barker)

The talk of Sessions out west isn't dying down... but it seems as though the Lakers' FO has their fans convinced that they shouldn't have to give up a 1st round pick... or anything more than a partial TPE.

I highly doubt the Cavs front office will do that. So, If the Lakers don't come off one of this season's 1st rounders, or a future 1st, or possibly a couple 2nd rounders, or even a 3-way, then the Lakers wont be getting Ramon... I think the Cavaliers would just assume keep him as give him away for a TPE.

Heath after all the bans, why do you keep coming back? I really gotta know its driving me crazy.

But don’t expect Los Angeles to give up one of its first-round picks or someone with Goudelock’s potential in exchange for a short-term rental.

Even if Ramon does opt out the Lakers can still resign him with Bird rights if they trade for him. Otherwise all they would have is the mini MLE and there is no way they could sign Sessions even if he does opt out from the Cavs or another team this summer. It seems Sessions should be worth the first round pick to test drive in the playoffs but I'm not Jimmy Buss or Chaz the Bartender who seem to be making all the personnel decisions for the Lakers these days.

I can only hope the half-naked kid in heath's avatar is his son or nephew.

I don't understand why the Lakers wouldn't want to get better at zero cost. Hell ill take their 2013 1st rounder if they won't give up this years. Just get a frist rounder and tpe and run!

If the Lakers dont want to give up a 20 something pick for Sessions they just don't want him is bad as we think they do. los angeles is a free agent destination and there are usually better players that choose to go to la in the offseason than there are players available in that draft range. It should be a no brainer for them at this point but since it's not I see Ramon going somewhere else if anywhere at all. We're not going to just give away a guy that does so many of the right things.

As I think has been mentioned before other dominos will have to fall first before something opens up for Ramon. Looking at current rosters there doesn't seem to be a clear destination for him at the moment.

Most likely, they don't want to give up a pick for him now because they are waiting for the fruitless possibility of trading those picks (plus) for Howard. If I were them, I wouldn't want to give up a first round pick until the Howard thing plays out, either. But if that doesn't pan out, there is no reason for them to value a pick in the 25-30 range higher than Ramon Sessions given their situation. Grant's job now is to find significant other bidder(s) to either force LA's hand or at least give us a reasonable fallback option. If we end up with Sessions on this team after the trading deadline I will be very disappointed.

It's amusing how desperately the Lakers want to hold on to both first rounders. Remember the Stephen A Smith rant about how first rounders to a contending team are meaningless (described during the Pau Gasol trade)? Well clearly this Lakers FO is different now w/o Phil's influence. I'm really thinking Sessions should be dealt to the Hawks, maybe with Jamison for Williams, Hinrich, and a 1st rounder if that's possible. The Lakers are too fixated on Dwight still.

It's amusing how desperately the Lakers want to hold on to both first rounders. Remember the Stephen A Smith rant about how first rounders to a contending team are meaningless (described during the Pau Gasol trade)? Well clearly this Lakers FO is different now w/o Phil's influence. I'm really thinking Sessions should be dealt to the Hawks, maybe with Jamison for Williams, Hinrich, and a 1st rounder if that's possible. The Lakers are too fixated on Dwight still.

I think they want to "hold on to them" because the Dallas pick is top-20 protected. If the playoffs started today, Dallas would be 19th, so LA wouldn't get the pick.

If they trade their pick for Ramon, and Ramon leaves, suddenly, they traded away a pick for nothing AND don't have the Dallas pick. They're SOL.

Posturing ... that is all we are seeing right now.

I think they want to "hold on to them" because the Dallas pick is top-20 protected. If the playoffs started today, Dallas would be 19th, so LA wouldn't get the pick.

If they trade their pick for Ramon, and Ramon leaves, suddenly, they traded away a pick for nothing AND don't have the Dallas pick. They're SOL.

But if they don't think Sessions can help put them over the top this year, then why make the trade anyway? Certainly they wouldn't be looking at him as a long term starter at PG, would they?

But if they don't think Sessions can help put them over the top this year, then why make the trade anyway? Certainly they wouldn't be looking at him as a long term starter at PG, would they?

their point guard situation right now consists of steve blake and derrick fisher's corpse. ramon sessions probably looks like john stockton to them.

as for the unwillingness to part with a 1st rounder, I would posit that it's a foolish stance. That pick is likely to be around #24 or so when it's all said and done. if sessions opts out and he was that good, you have bird's rights to retain him if you want him bad enough. you also aren't likely to find a rookie in that draft range that's going to give much of a contribution anyway. Dallas had a horrific start to the year. it's a fairly safe bet that they'll climb outside the top 20 when it's all said and done. they were above that point until a recent losing streak. i doubt fears that they won't get dallas's pick are holding up this deal.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."