• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The Matt Flynn thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If the Browns can't get RG3 for whatever reason, would you want Matt Flynn?

• YES

Votes: 35 44.9%
  • NO

Votes: 43 55.1%

• Total voters

Maximus

BANNED
Reaction score
IF the Browns can't get RG3 for whatever reason, would you want Matt Flynn?

I voted no........

Only on belief, if our FO wants Flynn, he'd be our target before RG3 and RG3 is option B.

Well it really all comes down to price for me. I don't want to overpay a guy with so little game film out there. I'm just nervous he could be like Kevin Kolb. Have a few good games with his original team, get a new contract, then suck.

I'm not really enamored with any of the QBs coming out besides Luck and RG3. I actually really like Weeden, but I'm not sure how I feel about a 28 turning 29 year old rookie.

If Flynn could be had for a reasonable price and we couldn't get RG3, I'd roll the dice with him and look to upgrade QB later if necessary. Missing on a guy in FA doesn't hurt nearly as much as missing on one in the draft.

Flynn is a good enough QB to where I would be happy with him. I just do not want to see Colt as starter again.

That being said, DO NOT break the bank on Flynn.

Even without the possibility of RGIII in your scenario, I'm still not feeling Flynn.

If he came cheap then whatever, but rumors are the Flynn is looking for a deal similar to Kevin Kolb's 6 year $65 million contract. If that's the case, I'd much rather stick with our own Matt Flynn who costs less than $1 million. If we go with Colt and he can't cut it as a starter, it'll be easy as hell to move onto the next guy and keep him as an affordable backup. If Flynn can't cut it as a starter, we're left with a giant albatross contract like Arizona is screwed with now. I just can't justify paying top dollar to a guy with limited physical tools and limited tape to use when making a decision.

Let someone who knows him (Miami with HC Joe Philbin or Seattle with GM John Schneider) pay him that money... for the Browns, it's just too risky and against our front office's philosophy.

Well it really all comes down to price for me. I don't want to overpay a guy with so little game film out there. I'm just nervous he could be like Kevin Kolb. Have a few good games with his original team, get a new contract, then suck.

I'm not really enamored with any of the QBs coming out besides Luck and RG3. I actually really like Weeden, but I'm not sure how I feel about a 28 turning 29 year old rookie.

If Flynn could be had for a reasonable price and we couldn't get RG3, I'd roll the dice with him and look to upgrade QB later if necessary. Missing on a guy in FA doesn't hurt nearly as much as missing on one in the draft.

And there is the kicker. I voted no, although I would be more than happy if we got Flynn on a reasonable incentive laden contract. That would mean that we did not trade up in the draft, could possibly get Claiborne and solidify our secondary, and target talent elsewhere early in the draft and possibly still have money to target some guys in FA.

However, I don't think his contract will be reasonable. There are a few teams that desperately want a franchise QB and will be willing to overpay for a slim chance at one with Flynn. His contract would most likely remove all financial flexibility from the Browns.

Best case scenario would be for the Browns to sign Flynn, have him evolve quickly into a top 10 QB, while keeping all their picks.

The money doesn't matter if Flynn becomes a top 10 QB. The money also doesn't matter if Flynn sucks. All that matters is making the right call here and getting a QB to build around.

Bottom line is the Browns have the money to get Flynn and the picks to get RG3. They should be able to get their guy. I'm hoping "their guy" is Flynn, if only because it will leave us more ammunition to address other needs.

Last edited:
We could always cut him, no?

Thats why I would want an incentive laden contract. I have a feeling he is going to be asking for a bit of guaranteed money.

We could always cut him, no?

I suppose but I'm not a fan of having all that dead money couting against the cap if we can avoid it. Given that there will be competition for him, I'm not expecting any potential deal to be in our favor. That said, I'll be stunned if Flynn plays up to the level of whatever contract he'll get.

Besides the game tape vs NE and Det is there anything else out there for Matt Flynn? Any preseason game tapes or box scores? I know it's preseason but at least it's some evidence on this guy.

Besides the game tape vs NE and Det is there anything else out there for Matt Flynn? Any preseason game tapes or box scores? I know it's preseason but at least it's some evidence on this guy.

Aside from one big game, he's sucked. Just like Kevin Kolb!

That said, do not want. If Browns can't get RG3, then it's another year of sucking with Colt throwing the ball. Those are the options in my mind.

He shredded the Browns in the preseason this year. I mean, it was the Browns though.

Sad state of affairs when potential QB's are McCoy, Flynn, or Kolb. :(

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."