• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2012 RFA's

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
How much do you think he will get? Not sure what price point I would go to.

Whatever number I would guess plus 4M/year. :chuckles:

I think someone is going to overpay for him. The guy is performing great and has said he wants to play for the highest bidder.

There was some speculation that the Bucks might trade him yesterday because they may not be able to retain him in the off-season.

Last edited:
It's going to be interesting to see whether the Cavs try to swing big this offseason or perhaps try to wait until the 2013 offseason to do that. Or perhaps they won't really try to be a contender in free agency much at all and rather rent out their cap space. However, if we're over the cap, we can still take on bad contracts so long as they match salaries, so technically, we could still sign free agents and play the cap space rental game. It would just be much more expensive because of the luxury tax.

I understand people pot shotting Hibbert, but he is pretty good and works at it. He is the right age and physical attributes to be a factor for a long time. I would be for a Max contract this year, so even if we don't get him we kneecap the pacers salary wise. You have set a corp of young players already, with Kyrie, Tristan, Hibbert, and you already have Gee playing above his expectations. AV returns to healthy and our big rotation is set. We can be patient with Samardo, and use the late first and early second rounders to add depth and role players. I don't like relying on the lottery big draft. It seems to me that while it works big when it works (Dwight) it also sucks big when it does not.. (Darko, Oden....) Why risk it? Buy a center you know can play, build via draft for everybody else and make bank...

I understand people pot shotting Hibbert, but he is pretty good and works at it. He is the right age and physical attributes to be a factor for a long time. I would be for a Max contract this year, so even if we don't get him we kneecap the pacers salary wise. You have set a corp of young players already, with Kyrie, Tristan, Hibbert, and you already have Gee playing above his expectations. AV returns to healthy and our big rotation is set. We can be patient with Samardo, and use the late first and early second rounders to add depth and role players. I don't like relying on the lottery big draft. It seems to me that while it works big when it works (Dwight) it also sucks big when it does not.. (Darko, Oden....) Why risk it? Buy a center you know can play, build via draft for everybody else and make bank...

Your boy had 4 points and 3 rebounds tonight... that's a no-show. Hibbert is not a max player or close to it and advocating the max for him is almost as hilarious as his selection to the all-star game. Put the bone down, dog.

MIN FGM-A FTM-A OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF +/- PTS

Roy Hibbert, C 24 2-10 0-1 1 2 3 1 0 1 0 1 -17 4

Screw Hibbert, you can get him a lot cheaper and the change of scenery hopefully broke him...... bring back J.J. to play some C! He's only 23.

(No joke.)

Cue whiners.

I really would only want to go after Lopez.

I don't think Grant is going to do much in free agency. I think the Cavs are more likely to re-sign Alonzo Gee to a 4-year deal and add additional veteran depth like AP and Jamison at reasonable contracts. I see Grant preserving that cap space in order to take back bad contracts with incentives attached. If you look at the players the Cavs have under contract next year, they've only got approx $30M in salary tied up on the cap. They also have Baron Davis' amnesty counting towards the floor (which is another $14M). So they're already at $44M in real salary. Even if there's a floor the Cavs have to get to, re-signing Gee, signing our draft picks, and a couple small vet signings is enough.

I don't see Grant making a splash in free agency because he goes on and on about how important his flexibility is to him. I look for him to continue to pull contracts with future years (like Davis and Walton) and pick things up. Then use his legit money and re-sign our players (Kyrie, Tristan, etc.) to extensions.

Would rather sign Ian Mahimi over any other center available. Indy isn't losing Hibbert and Lopez is not a starting center on championship team.

Mahinmi is not (at least at this point) but he isn't going to cost nearly as much as Lopez. If you throw enough money at Lopez to get him, he has to be your starting center. And like Pav said, Lopez isn't a starting center on a championship team, IMO. Defensive liability, and although his rebounding inadequacies are exaggerated, he's still not a good rebounder. Pay Mahinmi, start him in the meantime until we get a real starting C.

but mahinmi is? id throw a lot of money at lopez.

I just want my center to be able to defend. Lopez isn't a good defender at all, can't rebound, and doesn't block shots. In his defense, Mahimi isn't a great shotblocker either. But I like his ability to be able to defend the paint and go defend onto the perimeter when needed. I just don't think Lopez is worth the money.

Mahinmi is not (at least at this point) but he isn't going to cost nearly as much as Lopez. If you throw enough money at Lopez to get him, he has to be your starting center. And like Pav said, Lopez isn't a starting center on a championship team, IMO. Defensive liability, and although his rebounding inadequacies are exaggerated, he's still not a good rebounder. Pay Mahinmi, start him in the meantime until we get a real starting C.

Exactly. I don't think Mahimi is an ideal starter on championship team either for the record. But I like what he can contribute in terms of defense.

I just want my center to be able to defend. Lopez isn't a good defender at all, can't rebound, and doesn't block shots. In his defense, Mahimi isn't a great shotblocker either. But I like his ability to be able to defend the paint and go defend onto the perimeter when needed. I just don't think Lopez is worth the money.
its true that lopez isnt a very good defender or rebounder, but he is a good scoring center. i think he and thompson could be a good combo, because we need to have someone who can hit a jumper for court spacing. mahinmi is overrated quite a bit on here, he didnt even start over brendan haywood. and if we are going just by defense, omer is probably one of the best paint defenders in the entire league.

its true that lopez isnt a very good defender or rebounder, but he is a good scoring front court player. i think he and thompson could be a good combo, because we need to have someone who can hit a jumper for court spacing. mahinmi is overrated quite a bit on here, he didnt even start over brendan haywood. and if we are going just by defense, omer is probably one of the best paint defenders in the entire league.

I wouldn't mind Asik at all either. Lopez is just too finesse for my liking. Talented as hell, but im just not a fan.

It all depends on who we land in the draft. If we end up with MKG or Barnes then we're ready to go, put a bid on Lopez and the selling years are over. It's hard to ask for more than Irving, MKG, Lopez, Thompson as your core.

If we end up with someone like Lamb, or worse, then we're probably better served selling for assets for another year.

Ilyasova is unrestricted (different conditions than some of the folks who can be given a qualifying offer). He's going to be expensive. He also has said he may go play overseas (Turkey, his home country) if the money is right.

Ersan is not going home if he gets his 6-7M per year here.

No Turkish team can pay such figures to him. His game is better suited for NBA anyways, in TBL they would literally beat him up everytime down the floor until he stops shooting.

If I'd have to go for one of the two Turks, I'd go with Omer Asik.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."