• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Mock Offseason

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Milio25

Towel Waver
Reaction score
I have the afternoon off, so I thought I'd have some fun.
Well with just over 20 games left, I'm sure that most Cavs fans are looking towards the future while enjoying the little gifts that the present has to offer (Ryan Hollins getting waived). With that, I'd like to propose my first mock offseason for the Cavaliers. I'm going to focus on the draft, but I'm going to put down a few FAs that we should be looking at.

I think that the loss of Sessions combined with the fact we have 23 games backloaded in the end of our season will work to lower our position in the draft, and I think that we will be picking 6th. The Lakers pick will probably be about 26 or 27.

6th Overall Pick- Bradley Beal SG-Florida- With MKG and Barnes gone IMO before this pick, we get the best SG available. Beal has not shown exactly everything promised when it comes to his 3 pt % and FG%, but he has shown above and beyond in his ability to rebound and play defense for a 6'5'' player. He can create his own shot and has shown the ability to get to the basket. He is also not as "streaky" of a shooter like Lamb or Rivers. I think that he would be a great compliment to Kyrie and we would form a formidable backcourt for years to come.

26th Overall Pick- Fab Melo C- Syracuse I have no doubt that he is going to come out this year after all of his eligibility and classroom problems. Having a Brazilian on the roster on the roster already will make his transition easier and help his language curve on learning the system. My only concern is that Fab needs someone to keep on him to stay in condition, but I think that Scott is perfect for that. He would be a great backup to AV and would eventually be a formidable 4/5 shot blocking combo on defense. He needs to work on his defense, but his hands are good enough to handle the pick and roll as long as he can keep in condition.

32nd Overall Pick- Festus Ezeli PF/C- Vandy- Really athletic PF who can play the 5 as well. Great 7'3'' wingspan allows him to redirect just about anyone who tries to go to the rim. Not much of an offensive game and is a horrible passer, but has all of the physical tools to develop into a force on the defensive end.

35th Overall Pick- Jordan Taylor PG- Wisconsin- All Big Ten PG who is close to the all time record for A/T ratio for a 4 year player. His game dropped a little bit this year because he was the only real offensive weapon, but he has a great basketball IQ, a good shot from anywhere on the court, and he can create his own shot. Great scorer and good passer. Best of all, he is a great game manager, which is what you need out of a backup PG. I admit that this is a bit of a reach, but with Sessions gone PG will be of great need.

FA:
Alanzo Gee (Re-signed)
Erden- Not Matched
Harangody-Not Matched

Ersan Ilyasova- SF- Should be great competition for a starting spot with Gee. I can probably see Ersan getting the starting nod so that we have an offensive and energetic presence off of the bench with Gee. He can also play PF when Scott decides to go with a smaller lineup.
Jordan Farmar- PG-I think that Brooklyn lets him walk to get max cap room to try and get some major pieces to make their move relevant. Would be a great backup to Kyrie running the offense.
Steve Novak- SF- Great three point shooter who can get hot and blow up the scoreboard from downtown. Serviceable on defense, another good backup SF who can play PF against stretch PFs.
Omar Asik- C- I think we make a small play at him and see if the Bulls match. If the Bulls DO match, then we go after our TRUE target, Brain Scalabrine :chuckles:

So after all of that our lineup looks like this going into the Preseason.

PG Irving/Farmar/Taylor
SG Beal/Gibson/Harris
SF Ilyasova/Gee/Novak
PF Thompson/Ezeli/Samuels/'Sova/Novak
C Varejao/Melo/Samuels

Now we are still missing a genuine threat from the SF postion and we don't really have an offensive big, but this is a team that competes from day 1 to be in the 6-8 for the playoffs and could probably make a splash come trade time to get a quality SF. This team should be much improved on the defensive end just from sheer athleticism, and so if Scott can teach them his offense, they should be able to put a good season together.

Please give constructive criticism, not just flat out love it, hate it. Also, no one can really predict the NBA draft this year especially since the standings are in constant flux, so please don't just say that this person will not be there.
Thanks!

I like the rationale behind the draft picks, however, I don't see us taking Melo and Ezeli. I'd like one or the other, but having a big man rotation with absolutely no offensive ability is a scary thought. I'd rather take a shot at bringing in a backup big who can stretch the floor. In the draft that could be someone like Kevin Jones with one of our 2nd rounders. If we address it in free agency, there's the pipedream of restricted guys like Hibbert, or a more likely strategy of a veteran unrestricted guy like Kaman or Okur.

Honestly Jamison would fit that role decently enough if he would adjust his role from his current "20 shot per game chucker" post.

Re-sign Jamison (for a lot cheaper) AND J.J...... along with re-upping Sam-Sam, Gee, Sloan and L'Adorable.

1A: Beal/Lamb
1B: One of the Terrences hopefully.... if not then Rivers if he's still there... if we end up even later then Dion Waiters
2A: Fab Melo or Doron Lamb
2B: Tomas Satoransky-> Draft and Stash

The Cavs main priority this offseason needs to be acquiring the best wing player in the draft that they can, preferably a SG. It's been DECADES since the team has had a reliable SG that their opponents had to account for. If that means packaging picks and a player (Varejao?) to move into the top 3 or 4 draft positions, so be it. I'm tired of the Parkers and Casspis and Gibsons of the world getting meaningful minutes for this club.

You have 17 players, unless i missed something in the new cba, we are limited to 15.

That said, I think you are being reasonable on where we pick. Beal is a great acquisition, although i think he is closer to 6'3=6'4, but no big deal there.

No way we are taking on 4 rookies, we will only draft 2 to keep imo.. I am guessing we will try to use one to move up a few (4 or 5) spots on the Lakers pick and the other to draft a euro player to stash.

4 free agents? I hear we are going after Omar Asik, and we will maybe sign one other free agent. Ersan Ilyasova is a pf and i dont think he is getting out of Milwaukee. Same with Novak. Farmar, i might have some mild interest, we need a legit backup.

Our biggest acquisition will be our lottery pick and our younger players (Kyrie, Tristan, Gee, etc) getting older. We will bring in 2 or 3 free agents, but nothing will be too exciting, Ilyasova is way too much to expect from a free agent we will bring in.

Why would we get both Beal and Rivers? Neither could play SF and Scott wants true PGs on the floor, not someone like Beal. Also, I thought about re-signing Jamo, but I just don't think he'll take a pay cut to stay in Cleveland. I think he takes a pay cut to go play for a right now contender. I really see him playing for Orlando IMO.

You have 17 players, unless i missed something in the new cba, we are limited to 15.

That said, I think you are being reasonable on where we pick. Beal is a great acquisition, although i think he is closer to 6'3=6'4, but no big deal there.

No way we are taking on 4 rookies, we will only draft 2 to keep imo.. I am guessing we will try to use one to move up a few (4 or 5) spots on the Lakers pick and the other to draft a euro player to stash.

4 free agents? I hear we are going after Omar Asik, and we will maybe sign one other free agent. Ersan Ilyasova is a pf and i dont think he is getting out of Milwaukee. Same with Novak. Farmar, i might have some mild interest, we need a legit backup.

Our biggest acquisition will be our lottery pick and our younger players (Kyrie, Tristan, Gee, etc) getting older. We will bring in 2 or 3 free agents, but nothing will be too exciting, Ilyasova is way too much to expect from a free agent we will bring in.

If we only take on 1 rookie and bring in 2-3 free agents, we will still have about 4 open roster spots.
Harangody-RFA
Gee- RFA
Erden-RFA
Harris-RFA (I think)
Jamison-UFA
Parker-UFA
Sloan-UFA

I'd much rather have some of the rookies listed here than Harangody and Semih. Also, there aren't 17 players, I listed a few twice. I also did not have us getting Asik because I believe he will be matched. Oh and I really did not want Scalabrine.

I like the rationale behind the draft picks, however, I don't see us taking Melo and Ezeli. I'd like one or the other, but having a big man rotation with absolutely no offensive ability is a scary thought. I'd rather take a shot at bringing in a backup big who can stretch the floor. In the draft that could be someone like Kevin Jones with one of our 2nd rounders. If we address it in free agency, there's the pipedream of restricted guys like Hibbert, or a more likely strategy of a veteran unrestricted guy like Kaman or Okur.

Honestly Jamison would fit that role decently enough if he would adjust his role from his current "20 shot per game chucker" post.

Yeah I think Jamo fits that role too, but I think he'll cost too much and want to play for a contender now. At one point I did have the Cavs choosing between Fab and Ezeli with their first pick in the second round, but I changed it when I saw Ezeli play and felt that he is a natural defensive four. I have a man crush on Draymond Green just because of his Bball IQ, work ethic, and leadership abilities, but I don't think his skill set translates. If we get a C in the first round and Green is available in the second, I would love to pick him up and give him a tryout in the preseason. Maybe we can make him a into an offensive minded 4.

I like the thoughts.

A few comments:
Ersan Ilyasova- SF- Should be great competition for a starting spot with Gee. I can probably see Ersan getting the starting nod so that we have an offensive and energetic presence off of the bench with Gee. He can also play PF when Scott decides to go with a smaller lineup.
I would love to get Ersan, I just think the cost will be too high. He is a very good player. I also think Ersan IS a PF, not a SF. He is a big dude. He is listed at 6'9, but he def. looked taller and bigger than some guys that are that height. And he would solve the problem of getting a floor spacing big. Really good rebounder and has three point range--basically a perfect fit with Tristan as a better version of Jamison.

Steve Novak- SF- Great three point shooter who can get hot and blow up the scoreboard from downtown. Serviceable on defense, another good backup SF who can play PF against stretch PFs.
Don't think NY will let him go. And I imagine he likes playing there.

I do like Asik a lot, I don't think the Bulls can match even a decent offer as they are already deep into luxury tax. So unless someone else outbids us, I think we have a decent change. Just don't want to overpay.
If Farmar came cheap that is fine, otherwise just let a young guy play the backup minutes at PG.

I like your first pick, Beal, a lot, he is my 2nd favorite player in the draft at the moment.
With pick 25-26, I am hoping for Jeff Taylor (we might have to package 25 with 38 to move up to get him) from Vandy OR Jae Crowder
With 32 we can then take Ezelli as backup 4-5---I actually like him better than Melo
With 38--maybe try to find a big with an outside shot?

If we can get Ersan, my rotation:
Irving-cheap FA
Beal-Gee-Gibson
Gee-Taylor-Casspi (I think we are stuck with him for 1 more yr, right?)-Walton
Ersan-Thompson-Samuels
Thompson-AV-Ezelli (yes I think Thompson can play Center, he has a big base and his long arms make up for being a little shorter than the bigger centers)

That team would have VERY good D. Great floor spacing with Beal, Gee, Taylor, Gibson and Ersan.

Thompson and AV can both play minutes at PF/C--Ersan 32 MPG PF, Thompson 16 MPG at PF, 16 MPG at Center, AV 32 MPG at Center---if we wanted to go BIG, we could slide Ersan down to SF for some minutes with AV and Thompson.

The more I think about it the more Ersan makes sense to go after. He is just 24. He would fit in great with what we need. I am not sure we will have a better opportunity for a free agent. A lot of people want to offer max to guys like Hibbert and Lopez---I would rather have Ersan for 11 Million per. He is younger, better rebounder and better floor spacer than either.

Over half of the Knicks are going to be free agents. I know that some like Baron are probably going to fade away, but I don't see them keeping a guy like Novak and not be able to match Lin or Fields or re-sign JR Smith.
I don't like Jae Crowder. Living in Wisconsin, I see alot of Marquette basketball. While Crowder is a HELL of an athelete, he doesn't know how to handle himself in the game. He is a chucker and a ball stopper, and he doesn't shoot that well to make up for it. Defensively, however, he would be a great wing. He could match up well on just about anybody outside of LeBron. He just forces too much on offense and is a little too selfish. On a team as talented as Marquette (they honestly could win it all if they keep their D up), he actually holds them down at times on offense. If he can be had mid second for that pick, I would love to take a flyer on him there. Just not 1st round. Taylor is nice too, but if we trade up in the draft, I hope we do it for a Center like Leonard or one of the Zellers or something. The crop there is so much better than the crop of SFs coming out this year.

Someone talk to me about Fab melo. Why are his stats so shitty outside of Blocks?

Someone talk to me about Fab melo. Why are his stats so shitty outside of Blocks?

Because he's so raw and is kind of shitty (albeit with upside.) No real offensive game and 5th option on the team. He's being forced to come out a year early pretty much also. I wouldn't dream of taking him in the first.

If Daniel Orton is healthy you could make the case you might be better off just signing him in FA combined with using the pick somewhere else.

Still he's Brazilian and I like him as a developmental guy on the end of the bench, hopefully learn the ropes from Andy.

Over half of the Knicks are going to be free agents. I know that some like Baron are probably going to fade away, but I don't see them keeping a guy like Novak and not be able to match Lin or Fields or re-sign JR Smith.
I don't like Jae Crowder. Living in Wisconsin, I see alot of Marquette basketball. While Crowder is a HELL of an athelete, he doesn't know how to handle himself in the game. He is a chucker and a ball stopper, and he doesn't shoot that well to make up for it. Defensively, however, he would be a great wing. He could match up well on just about anybody outside of LeBron. He just forces too much on offense and is a little too selfish. On a team as talented as Marquette (they honestly could win it all if they keep their D up), he actually holds them down at times on offense. If he can be had mid second for that pick, I would love to take a flyer on him there. Just not 1st round. Taylor is nice too, but if we trade up in the draft, I hope we do it for a Center like Leonard or one of the Zellers or something. The crop there is so much better than the crop of SFs coming out this year.

A chucker who shot 50%+ from the floor and 35%+ from three (by the way the great shooter Jeremy Lamb shot 32% from three this year, same conference-and his team is at home right now)? He compares very favorably to Kawii Leonard. He had better numbers across the board and he played in a much tougher conference. 2.5 steals and 1 block per, when someone gets that many steals per game in a conf. that good, that just shows you how good their basketball instincts are generally. I just talked myself into hoping we get him with our 2nd first round pick. I think when it is said and done he will be in the low 20's.

Beal
Crowder
Ezelli

Question: With Barons contract counting against the floor, we need to spend $17 mil to hit the cap. However, I have heard that Barons contract doesnt count against the cap. How does that work? Do we have to renounce a cap hold?

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."