• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Mock Offseason

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
A chucker who shot 50%+ from the floor and 35%+ from three (by the way the great shooter Jeremy Lamb shot 32% from three this year, same conference-and his team is at home right now)? He compares very favorably to Kawii Leonard. He had better numbers across the board and he played in a much tougher conference. 2.5 steals and 1 block per, when someone gets that many steals per game in a conf. that good, that just shows you how good their basketball instincts are generally. I just talked myself into hoping we get him with our 2nd first round pick. I think when it is said and done he will be in the low 20's.

Beal
Crowder
Ezelli

When you watch him play in big games, however, he always thought that he had to take over the game. That means that he forces shots and does go for volume too many times. If he can trust his team around him and not jack threes when things are tough, then he will be a great player. He will be a great defender, one just has to make sure that he can guard the 3, then I'm all for him. Get him in a system where he knows his place, and he will get all sorts of buckets. Also, the talk in Wisconsin is that he is looking towards the NFL draft rather than the NBA draft. People are pegging him as the next Graham, and word (on the radio) is that his family is "weighing options" once the tourney is over.

With Beal Crowder and Ezeli, however, that would be probably one of the better defensive 3-5 combos in the league (if they develop). We would be great on the boards.

Question: With Barons contract counting against the floor, we need to spend $17 mil to hit the cap. However, I have heard that Barons contract doesnt count against the cap. How does that work? Do we have to renounce a cap hold?

There is a minimum each team is required to spend on player salaries. I believe that number is 90% of the set salary cap. So, for instance, if the salary cap next year is $60m ... and each team has to spend 90% of $60m ... every team will be required to have players accounting for $54m. They can get to that $54m in a variety of ways, which includes accounting for a player waived via the amnesty. So Baron DOES count towards the minimum team salary requirements.

Looking at it, there's about $31.1m tied up in AV, Walton, Kyrie, Gibson, TT, and Casspi. Counting Baron, we're at $45.95m. Throw in a couple of #1's and we'll be close to $50m. Re-sign Gee and we'll easily make the minimum team salary requirement.

As for cap space to acquire players: If the cap is $60m, and we have $31.1m tied up in the players listed above, we'll have close to $28m in cap space. Baron DOES NOT count towards that figure. However, we'll have to account for re-signing Gee and our draft picks. Say that's another $10m. So an estimate of cap space we'll have is around $18m. Since we'll be under the cap, we should also have the cap room exception (or whatever it's called that we used to sign Parker this year). Gibson's contract is not fully guaranteed, so that could give us more space as well.

A chucker who shot 50%+ from the floor and 35%+ from three (by the way the great shooter Jeremy Lamb shot 32% from three this year, same conference-and his team is at home right now)? He compares very favorably to Kawii Leonard. He had better numbers across the board and he played in a much tougher conference. 2.5 steals and 1 block per, when someone gets that many steals per game in a conf. that good, that just shows you how good their basketball instincts are generally. I just talked myself into hoping we get him with our 2nd first round pick. I think when it is said and done he will be in the low 20's.

Beal
Crowder
Ezelli

Yeah, I don't understand how Crowder is a chucker. Especially when you consider the Marquette offense is basically, "run up the floor and take the first good shot." A lot of times, that ends with Crowder because he is the best, or second best, player on that team.

There is a minimum each team is required to spend on player salaries. I believe that number is 90% of the set salary cap. So, for instance, if the salary cap next year is $60m ... and each team has to spend 90% of $60m ... every team will be required to have players accounting for $54m. They can get to that $54m in a variety of ways, which includes accounting for a player waived via the amnesty. So Baron DOES count towards the minimum team salary requirements.

Looking at it, there's about $31.1m tied up in AV, Walton, Kyrie, Gibson, TT, and Casspi. Counting Baron, we're at $45.95m. Throw in a couple of #1's and we'll be close to $50m. Re-sign Gee and we'll easily make the minimum team salary requirement.

As for cap space to acquire players: If the cap is $60m, and we have $31.1m tied up in the players listed above, we'll have close to $28m in cap space. Baron DOES NOT count towards that figure. However, we'll have to account for re-signing Gee and our draft picks. Say that's another $10m. So an estimate of cap space we'll have is around $18m. Since we'll be under the cap, we should also have the cap room exception (or whatever it's called that we used to sign Parker this year). Gibson's contract is not fully guaranteed, so that could give us more space as well.

Thank you for that. So if we chose to spend more this off-season, the 31 mil would be the number our team would be looking at, but if they didnt want to spend, they would be looking at the $45 mil?

1. I don't see the Cavaliers signing four different free agents. Seems a touch unrealistic, since Ilyasova and Asik are probably going to get more money than people are expecting.

2. I've not yet seen Beal play, but from all I've heard, he does sound like the kind of guy that would fit very well on the Cavaliers. I just have this feeling that Jeremy Lamb is going to test out amazingly and he'll probably end up pushing his way into the conversation. With his off-ball skills and Kyrie at the PG spot, those two, I think could be even more deadly. His "off" season this year is a concern though.

3. Love the Fab Melo pick. Like Tyler Zeller at that spot too. Some mocks have Quincy Miller there at the top of the 2nd. Steeeeeeeal.

4. Pay Alonzo Gee. Don't have to go huge, but come on, that kid plays the game the right way. Would love to see him carve out his little spot in this league with the Cavaliers.

First off, Ilyasova is going to play overseas. Has pretty much confirmed it himself. Unfortunately,cause i'm sure we would love to have him.

Re-singing Gee should be priority. Try Antawn at Vet. minimum. Then Harris and Sloan, they shouldn't be a problem
Then Sign Asik to an offer high enough that the bulls can't match...shouldn't be hard.
Other than that, think with draft picks, we should be good.

Pick 1a- Beal
Pick 1b- Melo
Pick 2a- Q. Miller
Pick 2b- T. Taylor

If the picks work out:

Irving/Sloan/Taylor
Beal/Harris/Gibson
Gee/Miller/Casspi
TT/Jamison/Samuals
Asik/Andy/Melo

First off, Ilyasova is going to play overseas. Has pretty much confirmed it himself. Unfortunately,cause i'm sure we would love to have him.

Re-singing Gee should be priority. Try Antawn at Vet. minimum. Then Harris and Sloan, they shouldn't be a problem
Then Sign Asik to an offer high enough that the bulls can't match...shouldn't be hard.
Other than that, think with draft picks, we should be good.

Pick 1a- Beal
Pick 1b- Melo
Pick 2a- Q. Miller
Pick 2b- T. Taylor

If the picks work out:

Irving/Sloan/Taylor
Beal/Harris/Gibson
Gee/Miller/Casspi
TT/Jamison/Samuals
Asik/Andy/Melo

Bravo, sir. That's not too far off from what I'd like to do unless we win the lottery of course. Free agency is a little harder to predict though than the draft because of more factors. We'll see what happens to Andy, Jamison, and Parker. I wouldn't be surprised if all three of them are gone at the trade deadline if not before. I'd be surprised if we could sign Jamison for the vet min. With his play this year, he's shown that he still has some tread left on the tires, and I'm sure that some team might be willing to offer him an MLE 3 year contract. If we do manage to resign Jamison, he could very likely be traded because of his value as a player especially if it's a vet min contract. We could then just basically trade him for a filler and a pick. That would be an excellent trade for us. Andy may be traded this offseason or next trade deadline as well. I don't expect Parker to be resigned. He's getting old, and we're going to be needing big minutes open for the SG position between Gibson and a new SG.

what if we win the lottery or at least move up like Utah did last year

what if we win the lottery or at least move up like Utah did last year

Then we move up into the lottery with our other pick from the Lakers by trading Varejao and the Lakers pick for a lottery pick or perhaps just use Varejao if possible. I'd recommend doing this because then we can get value out of Varejao while we can. Who knows how effective he'll be in 3-5 years from now with all of the injuries and his age? Even if he is serviceable in three years, do we want someone who is going to be in the league for only a couple more years or someone who can be with us for over a decade? We can draft a superstar big and use the rest of our picks to try our luck with wings like Beal/Lamb/Rivers/Ross/Taylor, possibly finding our starting SG and SF of the future as well. It would be a legendary draft for us if we drafted a superstar and an all-star in the same draft.

Only think Jamison could be a possibility because he has expressed how much he loves playing in cleveland and with Kyrie. Also is evident from his recent play this year. It's alot more enjoyable I believe to play with such a strong character guy than it is to play with someone like say....Lebron. His only other wish I believe is to play closer to his hometown. Which would be Bobcats or maybe Hawks. I think he likes his chances at maybe pulling off a ring before he retires with the Cavs as opposed to the other two. If we had to pay a little more than the Vet. min. that would be fine too in my opinion to get such a high quality reserve. He did have his best years coming off the bench in Dallas (even winning sixth man of the year I believe). Would be a great teacher and mentor for guys like say Quincy Miller and Fab Melo.

Also think we need to Keep Andy though. If we can pull of Asik, Andy would probably be the best backup center in the leauge. Also like the look of our second team alot. Sloan/or Tyshawn when he is ready, Harris , Miller , Jamison, and Andy. But we can only pull this off if we keep our picks. Not a fan of moving up for a higher pick when I believe Beal will be just as productive a pro if not more productive than anyone we can get sooner. And at the most needed position on our team. This is a pretty deep draft. And with guys like Q.Miller, D. Miller, J. Crowder, K. English...the list goes on that are going to be available in the second round. Just don't think it would be in our best interest to give up picks. Unless we are going to get a proven player that is not to up there in age and that can play alongside Kyrie. AKA Josh Smith...I know I know, he's a head case. But I believe he is exactly the style player that would excel alongside Kyrie. And Byron and a change of scenery could be just the thing he needs to straighten out. C'mon, the guy is close to averaging a triple double the past month or so.

The chances of Quincy Miller being available with one of our late picks if he enters the draft (and that's a big IF), are slim to none. And if he is available that late, it means there are serious red flags about his knee.

I'd really like to see the Cavs go after Asik, and like the draft ideas here for getting a SG and some big men. But I think the Cavs need to use the rest of their season to get their plan together at SG. We have PG figured out, seems like it's time figure out SG and complete the back court.

I'm not sure there is anything to gain anymore by playing Parker. Not sure they can just take him out of the starting line up either, but his time is done, contract is up, and not playing good enough that his minutes are untouchable. I don't think the team can continue with mix and matching players at PG (backup) and SG. Questions I think need answering before the end of the season:

Gibson role - Is he going to start at SG next year? Is going to be PG/SG backup? Is he even part of the big picture at guard (I like the guy, and as much as I hate to admit it, I don't think so)?

Harris - Where will the Cavs want to use him? They sure can't do another D League/10 contract fiasco again next season. It's time to decide if he has a place or not. We saw him last year, he's too good for the D League, it seems like he should stay.

Sloan - Can he be a real PG or is he another slash guard who can't do either well? He's bounced around a bit, is because his past teams didn't want a combo guard or because he didn't get a fair shot?

I don't think we can draft a SG in the top 10 and keep all three of these guys. The truth is if one of these guys could get it done at SG, we wouldn't be having this conversation. If the team wants to improve, I think they need to use the roster spots at other positions like C/PF/SF to go after Elyasova, Asik, etc. We can't have 5 guards going into the season, especially if none of them can play backup SF.

I don't think we can draft a SG in the top 10 and keep all three of these guys. The truth is if one of these guys could get it done at SG, we wouldn't be having this conversation. If the team wants to improve, I think they need to use the roster spots at other positions like C/PF/SF to go after Elyasova, Asik, etc. We can't have 5 guards going into the season, especially if none of them can play backup SF.

You have a 15 man roster. Why the hell can you not have 5 guards on it? Parker is gone after this season. The new SG replaces him. That leaves 10 spots left for the remaining 3 positions. I don't see the issue.

How do you guys feel about Tony wooten with our late 1st? Outside game is poor, but his capability to play the point combined with his size and athletic ability make him perfect next to Irving in the guard rotation. Still missing our starting sg of the future (or backup if wooten develops further), but he could be a great pickup in the late 1st imo.

All good questions. Personally, I believe Gee is more suited to play SG and deserves to start. So we could try and trade our two first rounders on draft day to someone in the top four or five if possible. Then select Kidd-Gilchrist, or Harrison Barnes. One of the two should be available and would be a quality starting SF. (anythings better than Casspi, right?) . Could also make a play for Gallinari or Ilyasova(if he stays in the country) but i'm sure denver will match anything thrown Gallinaris way. So maybe a guy like Pietrus to play SF till our rookie is ready to start. He is a solid defender, and would be good coming off the bench. If we can't resign Jamison to back up TT, then a guy like Turiaf would be a good backup. Definately need to get Asik or Lopez in free agency though, think that is a must. Then in the second round if either are available(one should be) we can try Ezeli or Melo as our third string developmental center. Think Sloan has shown enough promise in my opinion to be brought back as Kyrie's backup, and think Harris would be a good SG backup to Gee. Plus both he and Sloan can play SG if need be.

Irving/Sloan/Harris
Gee/Harris/late Second round pick
Kidd-Gilchrist or Barnes/Pietrus/Casspi
TT/Jamison(hopefully)/Turiaf
Asik or Lopez/AV/Melo or Elezi

Think that would be a playoff team...Mind u, this is all answering your post. I still would rather keep our players and picks and hopefully get Beal. Gibson just needs to go.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."