• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

is it likely for Anthony Davis to be next Hasheem Thabeet or Kwame/Olowokandi?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

trapalizer

Banned
Reaction score
While admittedly I do not watch NCAA that much, from what I've seen and read of Anthony Davis, he's a great shot blocker like Thabeet, well, a better one, but like him he also has a virtually non existent offensive game, where most of it comes off garbage points and such.

Kwame and Olowokandi translated into okay NBA players, but, what I'm saying is can we afford to win the lottery this year? First overall pick you expect much much more. Another guy who comes to mind is Emeka Okafor and while he translated into decent NBA player also, magnificent rookie season, there's a lot of signs that Anthony Davis will not translate into a superstar or even top 3 center in the league, and the way the contracts are for the #1 pick, and also wasting a pick and not getting a wing player, can we really afford to get lucky and win the lotto?

and if we do, do we go against the public opinion and draft the much safer pick in Harrison Barnes, but I'd rather we not win the lotto and just move up in the draft like Utah did last year and pick Barnes or MKG.

We got lucky with Kyrie but now that we got Kyrie we can't afford a set back that this scenario could bring.

But hey, he does have Dwight Howard shoulders.

We won't end up with him anyway, but if we did you should be excited. Many say he's the next Garnett, at worst a Bosh type player. I'd gladly take that in a heartbeat.

While admittedly I do not watch NCAA that much, from what I've seen and read of Anthony Davis, he's a great shot blocker like Thabeet, well, a better one, but like him he also has a virtually non existent offensive game, where most of it comes off garbage points and such.

Kwame and Olowokandi translated into okay NBA players, but, what I'm saying is can we afford to win the lottery this year? First overall pick you expect much much more. Another guy who comes to mind is Emeka Okafor and while he translated into decent NBA player also, magnificent rookie season, there's a lot of signs that Anthony Davis will not translate into a superstar or even top 3 center in the league, and the way the contracts are for the #1 pick, and also wasting a pick and not getting a wing player, can we really afford to get lucky and win the lotto?

and if we do, do we go against the public opinion and draft the much safer pick in Harrison Barnes, but I'd rather we not win the lotto and just move up in the draft like Utah did last year and pick Barnes or MKG.

We got lucky with Kyrie but now that we got Kyrie we can't afford a set back that this scenario could bring.

But hey, he does have Dwight Howard shoulders.

Olowokandi was almost like 24 when he was drafted and he beat up on bums in college. Kwame didn't have the mental makeup to ever be an all-star. Davis at worst is the next Marcus Camby imo.

You can never be a bust with that unibrow!

he also has a virtually non existent offensive game, where most of it comes off garbage points and such.

This is not true at all. He does get a decent amount of points off put backs and alley-oops, but he has also demonstrated a respectable mid-range shot, a decent hook in the post and range out the the college 3 pt line. He's also a very good ball-handler for his size. He leads the NCAA in PER, and it's not even close at 35.71. The only other top picks in the top 10 of NCAA PER are Cody Zeller at 31 and Sullinger at 30. If he were on a worse team he would probably score a lot more as needed. You really need to watch him play to get a good feel for how good he already is and can be at the next level.

Put it this way - even knowing how amazing Kyrie has been as a pro, a lot of people would still take Davis over him if they were both re-drafted today. I'm not one of them, but Davis is on a completely different level as a prospect than scrubs like Thabeet and Kwame, who both had glaring red flags.

This is not true at all. He does get a decent amount of points off put backs and alley-oops, but he has also demonstrated a respectable mid-range shot, a decent hook in the post and range out the the college 3 pt line. He's also a very good ball-handler for his size. He leads the NCAA in PER, and it's not even close at 35.71. The only other top picks in the top 10 of NCAA PER are Cody Zeller at 31 and Sullinger at 30. If he were on a worse team he would probably score a lot more as needed. You really need to watch him play to get a good feel for how good he already is and can be at the next level.

Put it this way - even knowing how amazing Kyrie has been as a pro, a lot of people would still take Davis over him if they were both re-drafted today. I'm not one of them, but Davis is on a completely different level as a prospect than scrubs like Thabeet and Kwame, who both had glaring red flags.

Hm that's what I wanted to know, I know he was a guard, so he should have a pretty good handle, but I don't know how growth spurts affect one's jump shot. I don't like his lack of size though, he has a big frame but at 220 he has alot of work to fill up.

Drummond is likely to be next Hasheem Thabeet or Kwame/Olowokandi?

While admittedly I do not watch NCAA that much . . . there's a lot of signs that Anthony Davis will not translate into a superstar or even top 3 center in the league, and the way the contracts are for the #1 pick

I think you should have stopped at "admittedly I do not watch NCAA that much"

if you were to compare Drummond especially given his NCAA performance to other TOP 5 center busts I would agree

also I give Grant a lot more credit in talent evaluation than Ferry or Paxson

Davis is a former PG who grew like 6-8 inches in a year. Once he grows into his body, holy. balls.

The thing with Davis is as has been said he doesn't know how to use his body atm. He has very little experience being a big man, and despite that he is clearly the best prospect in the NCAA, possibly since LeBron.

The thing with Davis is as has been said he doesn't know how to use his body atm. He has very little experience being a big man, and despite that he is clearly the best prospect in the NCAA, possibly since LeBron.

LeBron was never in the NCAA.

The unibrow totally turns me off to drafting him.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."