• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Cavs’ Anthony Parker Mulling Retirement

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SOA

Banned
Reaction score
Cavs’ Anthony Parker Mulling Retirement
By Lang Greene
NBA Writer

http://www.hoopsworld.com/cavs-anthony-parker-mulling-retirement?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=cavs-anthony-%20parker-mulling-retirement

Anthony Parker Considering Retirement: Father Time is one entity that has remained undefeated throughout the entire history of professional sports, sapping the athletic prowess of players in their primes and relegating once solid performers into old men right before our eyes – year in and year out.

There are no exceptions.

Cleveland Cavaliers shooting guard Anthony Parker knows the clock is winding down on his career on the court and admits the rigors he’s endured during the course of the condensed season due to the lockout has been tough.

Seeing the recent retirements of guys like guard T.J. Ford and center Jeff Foster this season has given Parker time to reflect on how much gas he actually has left in the tank.

“Well especially in a season like this where there are so many games crammed together it definitely doesn’t bode well for guys who already have a lot of miles on their bodies,” Parker told HOOPSWORLD about the impact of getting older in a young man’s game. “[Retirement] is something I’m not going to make a decision on now because I’m in the middle of the season and it’s such a grind mentally and physically. But once I get out of the season, you know, I kind of take it season by season and I’ll make the determination then.”

Parker will turn 37 in June, which is ancient by NBA standards for shooting guards, but he has consistently demonstrated this season that he still has some pop left to his game – notching 31 starts for the rebuilding Cavs.

If Parker does decide to lace the high tops for one more season, he’ll enter this summer as an unrestricted free agent free to join a contending team and chase an elusive championship ring before his career concludes.

The nine year veteran readily admits, as a competitor, the thought of joining an already established team set for title contention is intriguing but also wouldn’t rule out a return to the Cavs, who are currently just 4.5 games behind the New York Knicks for the Eastern Conference’s final playoff seed with 22 games to go in the season.

“As an athlete you want to compete,” Parker said about the possibility of joining a title contender. “As a competitor you want to win. That’s what we play this sport for, but there are other factors as well. I love the culture of this team and I love the people they’re bringing to the team. I think this team has a bright future and I’ve grown close with some of the guys on the team.”

Whatever the future holds for Parker, who was also a free agent after last season, he fully plans to evaluate all of his options at season’s end.

“It’s one of those things that once [free agency] happens, similar to last year, you kind of survey everything, see all of the offers on the table and then you make your decision,” Parker said. “I made the decision to come back to Cleveland (last year) and who knows what’s going to happen next year.”

Whether Parker’s plans are coming back in a mentoring role for the young Cavs, knocking down jumpers for a title contender or riding off in the sunset to begin retirement remains to be seen.

He should retire. He had a nice career. Maybe he could get into coaching.

Blah I've always hated Parker's game. He should have retired before joining the Cavs so I wouldn't have had to watch his wanna be MJ turnaround jumper kill possessions.

Put on a suit and tie and either call games or coach on the sidelines. I respect the guy, but his playing days are history. Why Byron had him on Joe Johnson on the final play of regulation the other night is beyond me(tankers go ahead and run with it:chuckles:). He's a great guy, but he's just lost too much at this point. Go out while you still have some dignity, AP.

I'm glad he played for us, he'll be part of this organization for a long time.

I'm impressed that you spelled 1 word incorrectly in a 3 word post. Especially the shortest word. :chuckles:

thanks, grammar police. I hate proofreading....it was bound to happen eventually.

I'm probably in the minority, and that's fine, but I do like the guy. It is probably time to retire. I wouldn't mind seeing him come back to the organization in some sort of PR or commentator role.

I'm probably in the minority, and that's fine, but I do like the guy. It is probably time to retire. I wouldn't mind seeing him come back to the organization in some sort of PR or commentator role.

Hate seeing people bash the guy for no reason. Has been very professional in his stay here and, despite how many people here hate to (and won't) admit it, has played a very solid role for us both in good times and in bad.

I always liked AP. He gets beat up around here but he's a class act and it's nice having someone like him working closely with Tristan and Kyrie on a day to day basis. It's a shame he wasn't around 8 years ago.

The AP hate is a little too much, but it also makes no sense to play him big minutes when we could be giving guys like Manny some developmental time.

The AP hate is a little too much, but it also makes no sense to play him big minutes when we could be giving guys like Manny some developmental time.

What does that have to do with anything? Blame Byron Scott for that, not Anthony Parker..

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."