• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

"Buckeye Nation"

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

To What Degree Are You a Part of "Buckeye Nation"?

• I only cheer for my alma mater

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I only cheer for Ohio State

Votes: 18 38.3%
  • I mainly cheer for my alma mater, but it's nice to see OSU win as well

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • I mainly cheer for OSU, but it's nice to see my alma mater win as well

Votes: 18 38.3%

• Total voters

Steve_424

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I found this article interesting. I'll highlight a few points that raised my eyebrows.

Eighty-eight miles of asphalt physically separate Ohio University in Athens from The Ohio State University in Columbus, but their athletic programs couldn’t be further apart. Ohio State is a national behemoth—competing annually for the Big Ten and, many times, national championships—while Ohio is a budding mid-major.

Consequently, the Sweet Sixteen runs by the universities’ men’s basketball squads represents two distinct outlooks: a Buckeyes win is expected while the Bobcats ride a Cinderella wave into their Friday match-up with North Carolina’s Tarheels.

On a given year, fans’ loyalty at both schools would be set—cheering Ohio State to victory. But the Bobcats’ success in this year’s tournament has complicated fandom for many in-state students who grew up as Buckeyes.

“It’s funny because when I think of the state of Ohio, I think of ‘Buckeye Nation,’” says Lizzie Sheffield, a recent Ohio graduate. “It’s such a crazy turnaround. While I was in college, I’d get groups of friends together to watch Ohio State games. It was never, ‘Hey, let’s go watch OU.’”

Sheffield, who grew up near Columbus and came to Athens for the university’s journalism program, hasn’t hesitated from rooting for her alma mater this year. But the team’s success has been unexpected, to say the least.

“I don’t think any student wasn’t hoping our team would do well,” she adds. “[But] OSU has had a strong athletic history for a long time; OU’s has been more spotted. It’s kind of like going to church: if the sermon doesn’t make you feel great afterwards, will you continue to go? Probably not.”

It would be wrong to label all Ohio students as Buckeyes fans. Shades of Buckeye scarlet roam Athens’ notorious uptown business district, Court Street, during Saturday afternoons in the fall and winter. This association may seem odd, but it’s considered natural across Ohio.

And, as Sheffield mentions, both students and administrators are ecstatic about this year’s team and the 2010 lineup that bested a three-seeded Georgetown team.

The Curse of Cleveland

Wes Lowery, an Ohio journalism major and Cleveland resident, said this adherence could be for a number of reasons.

“Especially for Clevelanders, who have such cursed professional franchises, it’s very easy to latch onto the Buckeyes,” he says. “People who come to OU bring that with them.”

Lowery, who lived in New Jersey before moving to Ohio in eighth grade, focused his passion for sports on New York’s professional teams. After arriving in Cleveland, he was intrigued by Ohioans’ infatuation for the Buckeyes and quickly took interest.

“I’m more of a passive Ohio State fan,” Lowery admits. “It’s all that my buddies would talk about. If we weren’t going out for [Cleveland] Cavs games, then we were going out to watch OSU. Everyone was absolutely obsessed with the Buckeyes out here.”

But a few Bobcats wins don’t equate instant school pride.

USA TODAY’s Marlen Garcia took note of Ohio’s developing national identity with each NCAA win, but it’s about more than just defining the university’s reputation outside of the Midwest. There’s a distinctive younger brother-older brother dynamic as Ohio challenges its northern neighbor for the state’s spotlight.

Alex Lubetkin, a Cleveland Heights native and English major at Ohio, has seen his support for the Buckeyes wane after moving to Athens. He would still applaud a major Ohio State win, but Ohio’s recent basketball and football successes (with the Bobcats’ football team winning its first bowl game late last season) created a whole new sensation.

“It’s like, ‘Oh my God, we finally have a team,’” he says. “We’ve finally gotten to the point where we can brag to OSU fans about our sports teams. We’re no longer little brother.”

Academically, a fairer fight

For Bobcats, it’s easy to celebrate the university’s renowned journalism and sports administration programs or “party school” reputation, but for most students, athletic success completes the college experience. Watching a university’s basketball team destroy traditional powerhouses can bring students and alumni together in a way that academic excellence and an invigorated social environment can’t touch.

“It’s easily something that gives you something to talk about,” Lowery says. “It gives you memories and now I can say to someone I’m meeting for the first time, ‘Hey, how about that Bobcat tournament win?’ It’s something for a normal OU student to be proud of.”

There’s still a chance the Bobcats and Buckeyes could share a court in the Final Four in New Orleans, as Ohio’s Midwest bracket would match up against Ohio State’s Eastern bracket, though most would say it’s unlikely.

But how would Sheffield react if the two tipped off in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome on March 31?

“I would probably sit there quietly and lose my [expletive] the entire game,” she says. “Although, ultimately I would root for the Bobcats. I’m a huge fan of underdog stories and it’s my alma mater. But it would definitely be a rough game to watch.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I grew up in a suburb of Cleveland. My parents both graduated from Lorain County Community College. They became Buckeyes fans, so growing up, I became a Buckeye fan. From age five to eighteen, it was all that I knew. When it came time to choose a college I looked at a few schools, Ohio State included. I ended up choosing Akron. For my first two years at UA, I still considered myself an Ohio State fan. As I started getting more and more into UA athletics and continued to develop pride in being a Zip, my fandom for Ohio State started to go away. Today, I don't care if Ohio State beats Michigan...it's not that I'm rooting against them or I don't watch (it's still a great game), I just don't really care who wins. I'm in the extreme minority in that line of thinking in Ohio, but why? In most states, smaller in-state schools don't cheer for their own schools more than their own alma mater. So why in Ohio?

I have a few theories:

1) People who didn't attend college choose Ohio State as their "default" collegiate team. Before I get shredded, I'm not saying Buckeye fans are uneducated. However, if someone chose not to attend college, why wouldn't they gravitate to the most successful athletic program in the state?

2) Lack of on-field/on-court success at other schools. Cincinnati has had some success in both basketball and football. Kent State, Miami, and Ohio have all made big NCAA Tournament runs in basketball...Akron has developed a consistent winner in hoops as well. A few MAC schools have had varied success in football. Kent State has a superb baseball program. Akron's soccer team is one year removed from a Division I National Championship. However, no other school in Ohio is consistently in the Top 25 in the "big two" - football and basketball. Which leads us to theory #3...

3) Front-running. Rip me if you must (and I'm sure some of you will), but it's true. A large portion of "Buckeye Nation" is no different than Ohioans that consider themselves part of "Steeler Nation" - they choose to be a fan of the team that wins the most. We rip these Steelers fans, just as we rip those who live in Cleveland but go to Progressive Field in Yankees gear, or those that had the guts to attend "The Q" in Miami Heat garb. But isn't it the same to cheer for and follow a school that you didn't attend more than the one you did/do attend?

Three questions for everyone:

1) What school did you graduate from?

2) To what degree do you cheer/not cheer for Ohio State?

3) Why or why don't you?

I'm glad I make it easy on myself.

Ohio State.

Die hard.

3) Why or why don't you?

Because being a Buckeye is in my family, and I myself graduated there.

I would still root for Ohio State had I not gone there because that is how I was raised, however I don't think I'd have nearly as much of an appreciation...

In my 3rd year at Akron.
Cheer for all OSU sports, hardcore, besides soccer. I did attend every Zips basketball game this year, but it paled in comparison to OSU. Only sport is soccer that i am a hardcore fan of from Akron. Also only been to 3 football games at Akron since the new stadium was built, and have been to over 10 football games at Ohio State in the bast 3 years.
3) Why or why don't you?
Brought up a Buckeyes fan, i would never not root for them.

1.) I'm not a college guy, but my "school" would be YSU.

2.) A lot.

3.) Because YSU sports has been on the downswing.

I am a current student at OSU but as long as the Buckeyes aren't playing them, I am in favor of any Ohio team doing well. Even as an Akronite I have a lot of ties to Kent State and if they were doing what OU did this year in the tourney I'd root for them (as I did for the Bobcats).

Some people choose their fanhood, I stick with local loyalty. I like Ohio and it's where I'm from, so I like seeing us succeed. As long as you're consistent you won't get much flack from me.

1.) Ohio State next year

2.) Watch all the football games, decent amount of basketball games. Will attend most next year. I'm pretty into it but it doesn't ruin my day/night let it ruin my day if they lose.

Always been a Buckeye but growing up in Akron I'm always super supportive of Akron, especially in soccer as they've always had a great program and I went to their camps as a kid.

Won't root for Kent normally but as Akronite said I'd have difficulty rooting against them if they made a tournament run like Ohio just did.

1. The Ohio State University
2. Die Hard
3. I was born and raised near Akron. I have a brother that graduated from Akron and a brother that graduated from Kent. They chose to stay home for college for different reasons (sports & a woman). I knew from the time I stepped foot on that campus for my first football game that I wanted to attend OSU. Even though I am the only member of my family to attend OSU, my entire family is die hard. I've been going to OSU football and bball games since I was in 5th grade, its in my blood.

I'm curious to see what others have to say about this. I know a few guys that attend smaller schools and I'm told there is a strong dislike for OSU. I dont understand this. OSU is the big brother, thats how its always been and its not changing

1.) The Ohio State
2.) Die hard
3.) grew up being a die hard buckeye. I only wanted to go to two schools, either American or OSU. I love OHio Stae, best 6 years of my life down there!

1. Freshman at YSU, planning on transferring to OSU my junior year.

2. Football & Basketball, I'm a hardcore Buckeye fan.

3. Raised a Buckeye fan, father loved Woody Hayes.

p.s. I'm disgusted at being called "like a Steeler fan" as well. Not even close, I have all my teeth.

1. The Ohio State University
2. Die Hard
3. I was born and raised near Akron. I have a brother that graduated from Akron and a brother that graduated from Kent. They chose to stay home for college for different reasons (sports & a woman). I knew from the time I stepped foot on that campus for my first football game that I wanted to attend OSU. Even though I am the only member of my family to attend OSU, my entire family is die hard. I've been going to OSU football and bball games since I was in 5th grade, its in my blood.

I'm curious to see what others have to say about this. I know a few guys that attend smaller schools and I'm told there is a strong dislike for OSU. I dont understand this. OSU is the big brother, thats how its always been and its not changing

Maybe it's the expectation that they'll root for Ohio State over the schools they actually attend/attended. That's one of the things that has turned me off of "Buckeye Nation" in recent years.

The first and finest...Ohio University

I despise Ohio A&M with every bone in my body, but I do have a healthy respect for many of the athletes and coaches that have gone through there. Hate Gee especially.

3) Why or why don't you?

I grew up cheering for Michigan, mainly because I wanted to stick it to all my friends that were A&M fans. I still hope they do well, but I bleed Green and I'm a true Ohio fan until I die. Some of the quotes from that article honestly make me sick. They basically interviewed a couple people who are fair weather fans and would only ever cheer for their own school when they are good, the school they are paying tens of thousands of dollars to attend by the way. They'd rather spend their money on OSU athletic gear, money which not so surprisingly goes to OSU. They'd rather wear the shirts and jerseys of an institution that actually tried to sue Ohio University for the right to use simply OHIO on athletic apparel. Of course they lost, since OHIO was founded nearly 70 years prior to OSU.

There’s still a chance the Bobcats and Buckeyes could share a court in the Final Four in New Orleans, as Ohio’s Midwest bracket would match up against Ohio State’s Eastern bracket, though most would say it’s unlikely.

But how would Sheffield react if the two tipped off in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome on March 31?

“I would probably sit there quietly and lose my [expletive] the entire game,” she says. “Although, ultimately I would root for the Bobcats. I’m a huge fan of underdog stories and it’s my alma mater. But it would definitely be a rough game to watch.”

At least she would root for the Bobcats. For everyone of her though, there's probably another 100 Ohio students that would have been cheering for the Buckeyes. I've watched it on multiple occasions when Ohio has played OSU in football. It was pretty disgusting to walk around the Shoe and see so many people I went to school with wearing OSU and throwing out "I grew up cheering for OSU my whole life." I get that people were Buckeye fans long before they became a Bobcat, but a Bobcat win over OSU in football or basketball does way more for the athletic program and the school's profile in general than an OSU win. Somehow people just couldn't grasp that when I tried to explain it to them.

Before anyone asks, I was actually extremely happy the Bobcats drew Michigan in the 1st round of the tournament. Though I would have liked to seem them not play each other that early, I was thrilled with the draw because I thought Ohio matched up extremely well with Michigan and had a great chance to advance. For me, there was absolutely zero thought about cheering for Michigan, and I most definitely wouldn't have taken any consolation in the fact that it was Michigan had they lost. In fact, for the first time in my life, I found myself talking shit to Michigan fans about how they weren't going to be able to match-up with the real OHIO.

I'm a sports nut, so I didn't expect everyone to pack the football stadium when they were awful. As a freshman during move-in weekend in '03, I watched the football team lose 35-0 to a DII school that no longer has a football team. Five years later, they were playing in the MAC title game. Those are the moments that make being a fan of your school so rewarding, especially at the mid-major level. Same for everything that has been going on with the basketball team over the last few seasons.

The biggest obstacle for Ohio is to shake themselves from the shadow of OSU. It's a different situation from other MAC schools like Akron, Kent, BG, etc because the first thing that most people outside of the state of Ohio say when you tell them you went to school at Ohio is "Cool, Go Buckeyes." It starts with the students and alumni, and it's something that takes a while to achieve. Athletic success alone can't change it. Much of it has to do with marketing, branding, and a change in attitude on campus. Until the Bobcats become the #1 priority for the majority of Bobcats, nothing will change significantly.

Ok...so massive rambling, but to sum it up:

GO OHIO!

1.) Ohio State next year

2.) Watch all the football games, decent amount of basketball games. Will attend most next year. I'm pretty into it but it doesn't ruin my day/night let it ruin my day if they lose.

Always been a Buckeye but growing up in Akron I'm always super supportive of Akron, especially in soccer as they've always had a great program and I went to their camps as a kid.

Won't root for Kent normally but as Akronite said I'd have difficulty rooting against them if they made a tournament run like Ohio just did.

You're gonna be a freshman there next year? So am I, I'm so pumped I can't wait

1.) Goin to OSU next year

2.) Doesn't matter if I bet against them, I always end up rooting for them. I love all OSU sports, but I also root for any other Ohio schools. I had UNC winning it all on my bracket and I was still making my cheering absurd as possible for OU.

3.) I've always grown up a Buckeye fan even though my family was never big into sports at all. Absolutely love them. I love everything Ohio.

It's the vast majority of the fan base. Most have no clue what they are talking about (not throwing you in that group, just a general statement). Most never attended OSU. There seems to be a general attitude amongst people that went to OSU that if you didn't go to a BIG10 school then your education is inferior, the school you went to must suck, oh you went to OHIO, must not have learned anything, etc.

I went to Ohio University because they had a great program in my major (much better than OSU's in the same field) and I absolutely loved the school. I got into OSU. They were my back-up plan. I got recruited to play football at Columbia University. I'm not a dumb ass. These are some of the reasons why many people who attended smaller schools really dislike OSU. There's an elitist attitude that prevails from the top down, starting with Gee.

I know from the Ohio standpoint there's a big beef with OSU because although Ohio University is the oldest university in Ohio (est. 1804), Ohio A&M received a massive land grant and was written into law as Ohio's flagship campus, essentially stifling Ohio University's ability grow and get funding beyond a certain point. There was also a lawsuit in the early-to-mid 90's where OSU tried to sue Ohio for the right to use solely "OHIO" on athletic apparel. Obviously they lost because Ohio University owns the trademark for "OHIO" as it relates to intercollegiate athletics, since Ohio was founded nearly 70 years prior to OSU. That lawsuit caused a lot of bad feelings.

The first and finest...Ohio University

I despise Ohio A&M with every bone in my body, but I do have a healthy respect for many of the athletes and coaches that have gone through there. Hate Gee especially.

3) Why or why don't you?

I grew up cheering for Michigan, mainly because I wanted to stick it to all my friends that were A&M fans. I still hope they do well, but I bleed Green and I'm a true Ohio fan until I die. Some of the quotes from that article honestly make me sick. They basically interviewed a couple people who are fair weather fans and would only ever cheer for their own school when they are good, the school they are paying tens of thousands of dollars to attend by the way. They'd rather spend their money on OSU athletic gear, money which not so surprisingly goes to OSU. They'd rather wear the shirts and jerseys of an institution that actually tried to sue Ohio University for the right to use simply OHIO on athletic apparel. Of course they lost, since OHIO was founded nearly 70 years prior to OSU.

At least she would root for the Bobcats. For everyone of her though, there's probably another 100 Ohio students that would have been cheering for the Buckeyes. I've watched it on multiple occasions when Ohio has played OSU in football. It was pretty disgusting to walk around the Shoe and see so many people I went to school with wearing OSU and throwing out "I grew up cheering for OSU my whole life." I get that people were Buckeye fans long before they became a Bobcat, but a Bobcat win over OSU in football or basketball does way more for the athletic program and the school's profile in general than an OSU win. Somehow people just couldn't grasp that when I tried to explain it to them.

Before anyone asks, I was actually extremely happy the Bobcats drew Michigan in the 1st round of the tournament. Though I would have liked to seem them not play each other that earlier, I was thrilled with the draw because I thought Ohio matched up extremely well with Michigan and had a great chance to advance. For me, there was absolutely zero thought about cheering for Michigan, and I most definitely wouldn't have taken any consolation in the fact that it was Michigan had they lost. In fact, for the first time in my life, I found myself talking shit to Michigan fans about how they weren't going to be able to match-up with the real OHIO.

I'm a sports nut, so I didn't expect everyone to pack the football stadium when they were awful. During move-in weekend in '03, I watched the football team lose 35-0 to a DII school that no longer has a football team. Five years later, they were playing in the MAC title game. Those are the moments that make being a fan of your school so rewarding, especially at the mid-major level. Same for everything that has been going on with the basketball team over the last few seasons.

The biggest obstacle for Ohio is to shake themselves from the shadow of OSU. It's a different situation from other MAC schools like Akron, Kent, BG, etc because the first thing that most people outside of the state of Ohio say when you tell them you went to school at Ohio is "Cool, Go Buckeyes." It starts with the students and alumni, and it's something that takes a while to achieve. Athletic success alone can't change it. Much of it has to do with marketing, branding, and a change in attitude on campus. Until the Bobcats become the #1 priority for the majority of Bobcats, nothing will change significantly.

Ok...so massive rambling, but to sum it up:

GO OHIO!

Out of anyone that has responded to this, your views are the most similar to mine. This was the quote that made me sick:

Your school is in the Sweet 16 for the 1st time in its history and has the chance to be the first #13 seed in NCAA Tournament history to reach the Elite 8 and you have to think about who you are cheering for? Seriously?

The sad part is that, as you pointed out, there's a ton of Ohio U. students that would have probably actually cheered for Ohio State had the two met in the Final Four. I see the same thing with Akron students/alumni. I can't get many of them to go see Akron play 30 minutes away for the MAC Championship Game, but they make sure to keep their schedules free to watch regular season OSU games on TV. I know a it's a perfect storm of growing up as Buckeye fans, OSU's consistent athletic success, and simple front-running, but it's still frustrating to see.

Maybe that's why I even though I dislike Ohio U (you are our 2nd main rival), I respect the hell out of your program. Our basketball programs have both been very successful (Bobcats now with two NCAA Tourney runs) in recent years, but are still fighting the shadow that is Ohio State, even in our own backyards of Akron and Athens respectively.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."