• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The Ongoing Attendance Problem

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Is the Biggest Reason for Attendance Being So Poor?

• Larry Dolan Doesn't Spend Enough Money

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • Lack of On-Field Success

Votes: 56 47.9%
  • Lack of a Marketable Superstar

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • Cleveland Cannot Support Three Professional Sports Teams

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • The Economy

Votes: 8 6.8%

• Total voters
Ownership isn't any different than most small markets. If the Dolans sell we're more likely to be run like KC than DET.

The 90's spoiled everyone on what CLE could do. TV contracts changed the game and fans' expectations haven't caught up. They think their owner is the worst in baseball without looking around and seeing he is probably better than a lot of small market owners.

I asked awhile back and I'll ask again - name all these small mkts spending more than CLE.

If I'm reading this chart correctly, the Indians have spent more than 11 other teams over the last ten years.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/ten-years-of-spending/

Again, this isn't amDolan problem, this is an MLB problem.
The Indians already are ran like KC.

The Indians already are ran like KC.

I'm on my phone so I can't check - but I think this is the first year that KC has gone over $60 mil in like 10 years - meanwhile the Indians were over $80 mil in '09 and had multiple years over $70 mil lately.

I'm on my phone so I can't check - but I think this is the first year that KC has gone over $60 mil in like 10 years - meanwhile the Indians were over $80 mil in '09 and had multiple years over $70 mil lately.
The Royals were over 70 mill in 2009 and 2010, and they now actually have a brighter future than the Indians.

The Royals were over 70 mill in 2009 and 2010, and they now actually have a brighter future than the Indians.

Well, that point blew up in my face.

Although by Tribe fan logic - they shouldn't get fans since they haven't made playoffs in forever and haven't signed any FA

Economy and having three teams in a city that is dying. In the 90s during the Tribe's glory years we didn't have a football team and the Cavs weren't so popular...

What Is the Biggest Reason for Attendance Being So Poor?

theyreshitty.jpg

The answer is obvious.......Lack of On-Field Success due to Dolan not spending enough so we don't have a Marketable Superstar so the bad Cleveland Economy chooses to not support the team.

[/thread]

I still think more blame lies with Antonetti and Shapiro than the Dolans. They spend a decent amount for a small market, they just spend it on shitty players and tie up what little money we have in guys who aren't worth it. Get some decent front office people in here. I don't know why they get the free pass they do. I don't care If they have the best farm system in baseball if none of them pan out. Maybe that's a coaching problem, if so, make a change there too.

I'd just like an offense that gets more than 3 hits in a 12 inning game.

If Hafner and Grady were able to keep on taking steroids, their bodies wouldnt have broken down and we'd have our stars. :(

I was at the game Saturday and I was horrified at the ratio of Toronto to Cleveland fans. But one big thing is the offense. We cannot consistently score and creates a boring atmosphere. It was almost silent and it seemed that even the PA guys weren't trying to get the fans into it. It was loud for the home runs but that was about it. I had to leave early but the late rally I'm sure was pretty quiet.

I still think more blame lies with Antonetti and Shapiro than the Dolans. They spend a decent amount for a small market, they just spend it on shitty players and tie up what little money we have in guys who aren't worth it. Get some decent front office people in here. I don't know why they get the free pass they do. I don't care If they have the best farm system in baseball if none of them pan out. Maybe that's a coaching problem, if so, make a change there too.

I'd just like an offense that gets more than 3 hits in a 12 inning game.

then it still comes down to Lack of On-Field Success and Lack of Superstar.

If Hafner and Grady were able to keep on taking steroids, their bodies wouldnt have broken down and we'd have our stars. :(

Watch out. I said this and b00bie scolded me.

It comes to lack of on field success, until it doesn't (2005-07)

Pretty obvious the attendance is always goIng to be below average.

Maybe one day if the CLE economy makes a surge they'll see more sponsorship dollars, but what you're seeing right now is probably what you'll get with any reasonable owner.

Maybe a bit of an uptick in payroll, but marginal at best.

One season doesn't count as success. You can't expect fans to watch a team that makes the playoffs once in 10 years.

Maybe one day if the CLE economy makes a surge they'll see more sponsorship dollars, but what you're seeing right now is probably what you'll get with any reasonable owner.

Maybe a bit of an uptick in payroll, but marginal at best.

Your definition of success is different than mine. I don't care how many wins the team has if they aren't realisitically competing. They only decent year they've had in recent memory was 07. They made the playoffs, knocked out the Yankees and should have taken the Sox. They probably should have won it all that year. Besides that we've had, what exactly? A hot start, no exciting players except maybe Asdrubal, and nobody who can hit the damn ball? Seriously, going to the games right now is miserable. You sit there with no energy or excitement, can't afford to get drunk because the beer costs so damn much, and watch your team strike out and hit weak grounders for 9 innings. I could literally fall asleep in my seat and wake up an hour later, nothing will have changed.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."