• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Dwyane Wade and Ray Allen: Olympic Basketball Team Members Should Get Paid

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steve_424

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
First Ray Allen yesterday:

“You talk about the patriotism that guys should want to play for, but you (need to) find a way to entice the guys,” Allen said. “It’s not the easiest thing in the world if you play deep in the playoffs and then you get two, three weeks off and then you start training again to play more basketball where it requires you to be away from home and in another country. It’s fun, but your body does need a break.

“Everybody says, ‘Play for your country.’ But (NBA players are) commodities, your businesses. You think about it, you do camps in the summer, you have various opportunities to make money. When you go overseas and play basketball, you lose those opportunities, what you may make… If I’m an accountant and I get outsourced by my firm, I’m going to make some money somewhere else.”

Now Dwyane Wade today:

“It’s a lot of things you do for the Olympics — a lot of jerseys you sell,” Wade said after the Heat’s practice on Wednesday in advance of Thursday’s game against Chicago. “We play the whole summer. I do think guys should be compensated. Just like I think college players should be compensated as well. Unfortunately, it’s not there. But I think it should be something, you know, there for it….

“The biggest thing is now you get no rest,” Wade said. “So you go to the end of the season, (Team USA) training camp is two weeks later. You’re giving up a lot to do it. It’s something you want to do. But it’s taxing on your body. You’re not playing for the dollar. But it would be nice if you would get compensated.”

:doh:

Want to make money? Decline the invitation to join the team and let someone who wants to be there play. Nobody is forcing you to play for Team USA. Can these guys get any more out of touch?

I agree with Wade about NCAA players being played, but not for the Olympics. Nobody is holding a gun to your head and making you play for your country, where as when it comes to the NCAA it is practically your only choice if you want to get picked high in the NBA.

Ya because being recognized as one of the best 15 basketball players in the entire country isn't enough? I understand that these players generate a lot of money by their performances, but it just bothers me to see them bitch and moan about not getting paid. Like others have said, It's voluntary. If you don't want to do it, then you don't have to. Others will eagerly take their place. It just makes them sound spoiled.

I agree with Wade about NCAA players being played, but not for the Olympics. Nobody is holding a gun to your head and making you play for your country, where as when it comes to the NCAA it is practically your only choice if you want to get picked high in the NBA.

Isn't it also a choice to attend college and play sports though? Every time I hear the argument that student-athletes should get paid more than the travel/food stipends they already receive, I think about the student loans I'm still paying off.

Ya because being recognized as one of the best 15 basketball players in the entire country isn't enough? I understand that these players generate a lot of money by their performances, but it just bothers me to see them bitch and moan about not getting paid. Like others have said, It's voluntary. If you don't want to do it, then you don't have to. Others will eagerly take their place. It just makes them sound spoiled.

While the players generate sales, it also helps them build their own "brand" with the huge international exposure.

Surprised to hear this from Ray Allen, especially after what he said during the lockout

“I look at Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Dr. J. and I almost feel, the money we make not only us as players but as owners, the money in the loop is so outstanding it’s almost embarrassing that we can make this type of money and we still haggle over what we haggle over”

Forget recognition for a moment (though that's a good point), how about simply the opportunity to represent your country? Ya know, the one that lays the foundation for you to make $200 million dollars for playing a game.

Please Dwyane, just stop talking. Seriously. Since when was pride in your country, honor/respect for the game, and competing for medals not enough? It is AN HONOR to participate in the Olympics, not a paycheck, for crying out loud you are worth MILLIONS on MILLIONS can't you play just for the love of the game and the country that enables you to be so wealthy for putting a ball in a basket? I would rather the US not get a medal then pay NBA players to play in The Games.

Ray Allen isn't gonna be on the team so his opinion is mute. These guys are just mad the owners stuck it to them on the new CBA.

If they want to pay guys to play summer basketball, then people that fight for our country should get paid more than they do.

These fuqqers get paid way too much as is. And they want more?! Wilt Chamberlain is rolling over in his grave (RIP)

This is the same guy that during the lockout believed he was worth 50 million per year. What do you expect?

Wade really is proving himself to be a grade A moron over the past couple years. I'm starting to wonder if he ever had some negative influence on James over the past few years, as someone whom I'm sure James looked/looks up to.

Allen doesn't say they should get paid from the olympics for playing, he said they should get paid royalties from Nike for the jerseys that are sold with their names on the back. Unless they are running for office, famous people legally have an automatic right to publicity over the use of their own names. Somehow college and olympic athletes are required to forfeit those rights as a price of participating. As far as I know, they never gain those specific rights back. 20 years later you can still buy Michael Jordan olympic basketball jerseys. If you think Jordan was okay with it, why did he decide to cover the addias logo while he was on the stand to receive his gold medal.

2michaeljordan.jpg

Allen doesn't say they should get paid from the olympics for playing, he said they should get paid royalties from Nike for the jerseys that are sold with their names on the back. Unless they are running for office, famous people legally have an automatic right to publicity over the use of their own names. Somehow college and olympic athletes are required to forfeit those rights as a price of participating. As far as I know, they never gain those specific rights back. 20 years later you can still buy Michael Jordan olympic basketball jerseys. If you think Jordan was okay with it, why did he decide to cover the addias logo while he was on the stand to receive his gold medal.

2michaeljordan.jpg

Totally agree.

And I also agree on college players. People here at MTSU who are on academic and sport club scholarships can make money doing what they do best off school grounds, while also competing for the school. However athletes cant. This has been beaten to death.

Olympians should be able to get royalties from anything with their likeness on it that is sold.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."