• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The Trent Richardson Thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Phills14

Cleveland Sports Fan
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey don't forget about me. I'm the prize of the draft, aren't I?
143444137_extra_large.jpg

large_trent-richardson2.jpg

trent-richardson-browns-scoutjpg-5a6a908fc83a490e.jpg

NFL Network's Take
Mayock's take: "I've been banging my head for two months that the Browns needed to draft Trent Richardson. ... They're saying this kid is so special, not only do we believe in him at four, but we're going to give away an extra pick to get a running back in the big-boy division. You play the Steelers, Ravens, Bengals -- bad weather, sloppy fields. What does this kid do for you? He keeps you in the game, he shortens the game, and he gives you a chance to win in the fourth quarter."

ESPN's Take
What he brings: There's a good reason Richardson is only the seventh RB to come off the boards in the first five picks in the past 10 years. He's a complete football player. He's a power back who can grind out yards between the tackles, and he's quick enough to get outside to where he can make defenders miss. His ability to contribute on third down makes him that much more attractive considering the direction NFL offenses are heading.

How he fits: This was a major need for the Browns. And what separates Richardson from a lot of backs is that he's a three-down player. This offense had no explosiveness or big plays from the running game a year ago and they were at the bottom of the league and yards after contact were an afterthought. That all changes with Richardson. Not only will he be effective between the tackles, but he is also an excellent receiver out of the backfield and he is a good pass-blocker and very effective in blitz pickup. With new offensive coordinator Brad Childress, it will be a West Coast-style offense. They will emphasize the run game to keep pressure off their quarterback position and, as mentioned, Richardson doesn't need to come off the field.

[video=youtube;rGQDAlRZsNQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGQDAlRZsNQ[/video]

ESPN Scouting Report
Production 1
"2009: (14/0) 145-751-5.2-8
2010: (11/2) 112-700-6.3-6
2011: (13/13) Rushing: 283-1,679-5.9-21; 29-338-11.7-3 receiving; set school single-season records for rushing yards, rushing TDs and all-purpose yards (2,083).
Career: 68 receptions-730-10.7-7.; 28 KORs-720-25.7-1"

Height-Weight-Speed 1
"Excellent blend of height, weight and top-end speed. "

Durability 2
"Missed the Mississippi State and Georgia State games in 2010 due to a sprained knee. Underwent minor knee surgery in 2012 and did not work out at the combine. Was healthy enough to work out at pro day. Proved capable of handling a full load with 312 touches on offense in 2011. Is a big, well-proportioned back with good flexibility. Has the frame to withstand NFL punishment. "

Intangibles 2
"Team captain. His brother, Terrell Richardson, played DE at Louisiana-Lafayette. Waited his turn behind former Heisman Trophy winner Mark Ingram during first two seasons (2009-10). A versatile athlete who found ways to contribute even though he was not the bell-cow back. Has a good work ethic. No off-field issues to our knowledge."

Running Back Specific Traits
Competitiveness 1
"Determined, competitive runner. Churns his legs and almost always falls forward at the end of runs. Makes defenders pay if they gear down along the sidelines. Ball security was an issue early in career and he still occasionally dangles the ball wide of his frame, but he made huge strides in this department. He fumbled the ball just once in 312 touches in 2011, and finished his career with seven fumbles -- but only one lost -- on 608 touches. He had the fewest fumbles lost of any of the top-12 RB prospects in the 2012 class."

Vision/Patience 1
"Patient runner with impressive natural instincts. Waits for blocks to develop. Does not run up the heels of OL but also will not get caught dancing around in the backfield. Displays a good sense of when to hit the cutback lane and when to string runs wide when working behind zone blocking. In 2011, showed an even greater feel for locating creases before they opened. "

Agility/Acceleration 2
"Not overly elusive in space and change-of-direction skills are adequate-to-good but not elite. However, he's light on his feet and shows outstanding stop-and-start ability for a bigger back. Can make defenders miss in tight spaces. Displays very good body control when turning the corner as a perimeter runner and can turn on the jets faster than most his size. Shows the ability to stick his foot in the ground and accelerate off the cut. Displays upper-echelon burst through the line of scrimmage and a second-gear to bounce inside runs to the outside once he hits the second level. "

Power/Balance 1
"Is a big, powerful runner. Runs with a wide base and excellent balance (great example with 3:59 remaining first quarter vs. PSU 2010). Runs under control and behind his pads. Runs with his knees high and rarely gets tripped up. The type of back that can wear down a defense with enough carries. Will drive legs and gain a good amount of yards after initial contact. "

Passing Game 2
"Productive as a pass catcher. Shows reliable hands, can adjust, and flashes ability to pluck on the run. Displays impressive initial straight-line burst after catch for his size. Frequently makes first defender miss (or runs over him). Not overly elusive in space but has second-gear to run away from most LBs and some DBs if he catches a crease. Has experience in slot and split out wide. Knows his assignments in pass protection and keeps head on a swivel. Is aggressive picking up the blitz. Keeps leverage as a blocker and shows savvy mixing in cut blocks. "

[video=youtube;abk3HgvwEeI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abk3HgvwEeI[/video]

[video=youtube;kyyO-_ndYts]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyyO-_ndYts[/video]

God. I still cannot believe we have Trent Richardson. WE GET TO WATCH HIS ENTIRE CAREER HERE!

Best Browns running back since Kelly. What a damn beast.

Trent is the reason why some Browns haven't stuck their heads in the oven yet

In typical Cleveland fashion, the thread about complaining is over 20 pages long while the one about the best playmaker we've had since the return isn't even 2 pages.

In typical Cleveland fashion, the thread about complaining is over 20 pages long while the one about the best playmaker we've had since the return isn't even 2 pages.

Not to bash you but I hate this line of thinking. I know what I have in Richardson. There is nothing to debate or discuss. He's a stud. I know he will be. End of discussion. I don't know what I have in weeden. I hope I have a great qb for the next 5-7 years, but I don't. Weeden is the wildcard. That's why Cleveland radio is basically only talking Weeden not Richardson, it's why espn keeps discussing with their "experts" our 22nd pick not our 4th. Weeden is the wildcard that could either propel this franchise to the future or go back to looking for a qb in 2-3 years. Quarterback is the must have position in the nfl, it's only natural that a 28 year old rookie qb is going to be the source of much of the discussion, especially for a team in dire need of a qb

Love this pick because he legitimately seems like he wants to be here. How scary could this draft be if we cap the line, and get our WR?

The pictures of Dawson and Thomas in the background are all too apropos. A real playmaker for this offense. Welcome to Cleveland, Trent.

Man this fucker is short, but I don't care. Can't wait to see him sitting atop his throne of cracked skulls in December.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."