• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Poll Added: Phoenix interested in Gee

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What offer do you make Gee?

• Two years for 8 million - Team option for a third

Votes: 19 19.2%
  • Front-loaded three years 12 million

Votes: 26 26.3%
  • Low-ball three years 9 million, see what happens

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Low-ball two years 6 million, team option third year

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Wait for another team to make their offer, then decide whether or not to match

Votes: 43 43.4%
  • Let the guy walk, he ain't special.

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
Re: NBA Rumors: Phoenix Suns Interested in Alonzo Gee

The cavs absolutely have to keep Gee...He is part of the long term and for 4mil a year, i wouldnt hesitate!

The best would be 12mil/3yr with a team option for a fourth year.

4mil might seem like a lot right now, but maybe Gee keeps improving and his contract becomes a bargain in 2 years, you never know! It's not that long of a shot! I'd like gee to avg around 13pts on 45%fg and 35% 3pt with great defense... It's definitely not out of his reach! Give him a real offseason! The dude is on a mission, he worked his way all the way to the nba and aint gonna quit

G-force, cavs for life!

Thats not true at all. And im a huge Gee fan myself. I hope he stays a Cavalier for a long time, but he isn't someone that we have to hold on to. He certaintly would be a nice piece to hold on to.

4 million is the ceiling on what I would be willing to pay him. I think people overvalue Gee, simply based on his "out of nowhere" story.

He doesn't shoot particularly well (41.2 FG / 32.1 3PT), he's not a great defender and he's a little undersized for a small forward.

He's worth keeping around at the right price but 4 million a year may not be the right price. The Cavs have 4 draft picks in the top 33 selections. Finding someone to fill his minutes shouldn't be difficult.

Last edited:

I mena if some team goes crazy and signs him for 10mil/yr, i aint matching...

But Gee is essentially an extra 1st rounder, that has already panned out. He is the kind of player that make your team a winner. Look, the spurs are full of them, the bulls are full of them... He is probably best served off the bench, but it all depends on how much he improves.
Let Gee go, and you are going to have to ifnd another one in free agency... It's totally stupid!

The Cavs have 4 draft picks in the top 33 selections.

Chances of finding anyone in those last 3 picks who will match the production Gee is giving us now historically is very slim.

Daniel Gibson is making $4.5 million per year...what a waste.

4 million is the ceiling on what I would be willing to pay him. I think people overvalue Gee, simply based on his "out of nowhere" story.

He doesn't shoot particularly well (41.2 FG / 32.1 3PT), he's not a great defender and he's a little undersized for a small forward.

He's worth keeping around at the right price but 4 million a year may not be the right price. The Cavs have 4 draft picks in the top 33 selections. Finding someone to fill his minutes shouldn't be difficult.

Huh? Well yeah, we could get ANYONE if all we wanted to do was "fill minutes."

But his athleticism, work ethic, knowledge of Scott's system, and (hopefully) dedication to the Cav's organization -- will not be easy to find in the second round.

And he still has room to improve and develop. He's already proven to be an effective 6th man/energy player off the bench, and he may be able to still improve into a starting role or continue to embrace the 6th man role.

Either way, the Cavs will be able to sit back and see what the market dictates for Gee financially, and then make a decision.

Daniel Gibson is making $4.5 million per year...what a waste.

Sad part is that he seemed like he had a good amount of potential. Not to be a an all-star or anything, but like a poor-man's Terry. Someone that can give you some nice scoring nights. But he just never improved after the 08 season. Injuries, the Mo trade, etc may have played a part.

I highly doubt the Cavs even extend an offer, especially at the very beginning of free agency. They'll let Gee talk to other teams, let the market set his value, and decide if they want to match. They'll likely have to overpay slightly to keep him, but he'd be a quality 6th man who could play SG or SF off the bench. Plus, if he continues to improve, he becomes a valuable trade piece in 2-3 because of his age and his reasonable contract.

It's kind of amazing to me that so many people would let him walk at $5 mill a year. Everyone here complains about the lack of young talent on this team, and you'd be happy to let one of the most talented young guys on the team walk over a million dollars. He's clearly dedicated to getting better based on the improvements he's made over the last two years. I would have to think he's only going to continue to get better.

Anyway, even if he's not seen as a long term piece, he's certainly worth keeping around for two years to toss into a trade down the road. If we had more players on the roster like Gee during the LeBron yeas, it would have been far easier to add talent through a trade. We simply had no one other than Hickson that we could offer up, and because he was the only young guy with some promise on the team, the FO was reluctant to include him in trades.

Huh? Well yeah, we could get ANYONE if all we wanted to do was "fill minutes."

But his athleticism, work ethic, knowledge of Scott's system, and (hopefully) dedication to the Cav's organization -- will not be easy to find in the second round.

And he still has room to improve and develop. He's already proven to be an effective 6th man/energy player off the bench, and he may be able to still improve into a starting role or continue to embrace the 6th man role.

Either way, the Cavs will be able to sit back and see what the market dictates for Gee financially, and then make a decision.

I'd gladly take Darius Miller or Jae Crowder in the 2nd round to replace Gee.

You say he still has a lot of room to improve and develop, but I see the opposite. I think he's reached his potential. For all the hooplah about how improved he was from last year to this year, he really didn't improve all that much. Most of it was confidence and understanding the system.

All that's left for Gee is settling into a role where he can maximize his efficiency and I think that's as an 8th man, and I'd rather not pay my 8th man more than $3-4 million per year for more than 2-3 years.

I'd like to retain him, but only at the right price, he's easily replaceable IMO.

Chances of finding anyone in those last 3 picks who will match the production Gee is giving us now historically is very slim.

There are literally hundreds of NBA caliber basketball players who, if given 29 minutes a game, can score 10 points and grab 5 rebounds.

People overvalue Gee. What he has done has been a little surprising, given expectations (initial 10-day contracts) but it hasn't been special.

- He shot 28.2 percent on 2s outside the basket area. 28 percent.
- He was 62nd out of 67 small forwards in turnover ratio.

Would I like to keep him around? Sure. Would I like to keep him around for 4+ million? Well, no. Much of his production is largely based off of the fact that he played on an awful team with limited options at small forward. Or have we already forgot his main competition for minutes was Casspi?

Last edited:

I highly doubt the Cavs even extend an offer, especially at the very beginning of free agency. They'll let Gee talk to other teams, let the market set his value, and decide if they want to match. They'll likely have to overpay slightly to keep him, but he'd be a quality 6th man who could play SG or SF off the bench. Plus, if he continues to improve, he becomes a valuable trade piece in 2-3 because of his age and his reasonable contract.

Totally agree with this. I can't see the Cavs making an offer before someone else does and effectively starting the bidding against themselves. They should sit back and see where the market prices Gee.

With that said, the Suns have Dudley, Warrick and Childress under contract next year for the SF spot. This rumor makes no sense.

Everybody is always talkin about about Gee offense... While it's not that great (id say average, slightly below average maybe), his defense is where he is best!

Don't you remember those games where he shut down Melo? Paul Pierce? Lebron? They still scored like 15-20 points each, but it's not much for these guys. Gee is already top tier defender at the 2-3 (always great for roster versatility), he could become much more as well...

So Gee is slightly below average offensively, and top tier defensively, which makes him a slightly above average nba player. The average nba salary is 5.15mil/yr... Therefore, signing Gee for 4yr/20mil looks like a bargain to me...

Everybody is always talkin about about Gee offense... While it's not that great (id say average, slightly below average maybe), his defense is where he is best!

Don't you remember those games where he shut down Melo? Paul Pierce? Lebron? They still scored like 15-20 points each, but it's not much for these guys. Gee is already top tier defender at the 2-3 (always great for roster versatility), he could become much more as well...

So Gee is slightly below average offensively, and top tier defensively, which makes him a slightly above average nba player. The average nba salary is 5.15mil/yr... Therefore, signing Gee for 4yr/20mil looks like a bargain to me...

I think you're using the term "top-tier" quite loosely. He's an above average defender.

The CAVS once ruined their team for years when the matched the offer sheet from the cHeat for John Hot Rod Willliams.

I think you're using the term "top-tier" quite loosely. He's an above average defender.
My argument still stands! You shall not pass!
:)

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."