• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Columbus wants NBA team

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
I would love to see the Cavaliers play 3 to 5 games a year in Columbus at Nationwide.

Really Mayor Coleman? Really??

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0f6l1QljpMo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'd like to see a team in Columbus, but I really don't see it as a feasible option at this point in time. I would have to think that of other Ohio cities on the list of places that could host relocating/expansion teams, Cincinnati would be ahead of Columbus anyway. Plus, as others have already said, Ohio State University athletics already have a stranglehold in Columbus, with the Blue Jackets picking up what's left over.

No, terrible idea, please don't do it. I love being the only NBA team in Ohio.

If you gotta do it, put a team in Cincinnati again.

when is the lease up for the Blue Jackets?

In 27 years.

Continue about how the Blue Jackets are going to move, despite EVERY single piece of worthwhile news saying they won't.

I'm trying to think of another "college city" that has been home to a professional sports team.

Can't think of one off the top of my head.....

Doesn't seem like fit to me. Too much overlap between the Ohio State BBall and NBA seasons. I just don't see it as something that makes sense, in terms of gate / draw.

Oklahoma city. But they are the only ones

I'm trying to think of another "college city" that has been home to a professional sports team.

Can't think of one off the top of my head.....

Doesn't seem like fit to me. Too much overlap between the Ohio State BBall and NBA seasons. I just don't see it as something that makes sense, in terms of gate / draw.

uh Oklahoma city

Columbus destroyers was one of the top drawing football teams in the league. even at 0-10 the thunderbolt attendance wasnt any worse than when they were in cleveland.

Ohio state basketball typically averages 15 k which makes it a top 15 school attendance wise.

The Columbus clippers are typically one of the highest attended triple aaa teams.

Columbus just bought the arena and it sits 19k

when is the lease up for the Blue Jackets?

I believe the tax payers were forced to acquire Nationwide Arena recently to assure the Blue Jackets stick around for a bit longer. As someone from central Ohio I would love to see an NBA franchise, however the amount of support is a definite question mark.

I'd like to see a team in Columbus, but I really don't see it as a feasible option at this point in time. I would have to think that of other Ohio cities on the list of places that could host relocating/expansion teams, Cincinnati would be ahead of Columbus anyway. Plus, as others have already said, Ohio State University athletics already have a stranglehold in Columbus, with the Blue Jackets picking up what's left over.

The reason it's a feasible option and would be ahead of many other cities on the list is because there is already a phenomenal arena in place, meaning the costs to relocate a team to Columbus would be significantly less than with nearly all of the other cities. They could technically have an NBA there next season if they wanted to since the arena is done. I highly doubt it happens anytime soon, but the arena is always the biggest hurdle.since it's already there in Columbus, it makes the whole process much easier.

First, Columbus wouldn't get a team unless another team decides to move.

Second, this looks, IMO, like a preliminary move by Columbus as a reaction to the extremely poor showing by the Indians. It shows the suits of the major sports that Cleveland is having a tough time handling three major franchises. Not that the situations are strongly linked, but if the Cavs have a stretch of perennial poor play in the future, that request will be in the minds of the NBA.

The good thing is Columbus can't handle an NHL team, which doesn't bode well for them.

Second, this looks, IMO, like a preliminary move by Columbus as a reaction to the extremely poor showing by the Indians. It shows the suits of the major sports that Cleveland is having a tough time handling three major franchises. Not that the situations are strongly linked, but if the Cavs have a stretch of perennial poor play in the future, that request will be in the minds of the NBA.

The good thing is Columbus can't handle an NHL team, which doesn't bode well for them.

Columbus can handle a NHL team but they Jackets are garbage. 1 playoff in 13 years in a league where more than half the teams make the playoffs.

I don't know if I can really hold that against them... the Blue Jackets have been to the playoffs one time in recent memory and they got swept, if I remember correctly. They pulled off a blockbuster trade and they still ended up at the bottom of their division. It happens every year. Not to mention that they are playing in the NHL -- it has its fair share of fans, for certain, but it's never going to reach the same popularity in the States as MLB, the NBA, or the NFL.

Mediocre team playing in a league that has a decent at best following. I'd be curious to see how they would handle an NBA team, in all honesty. It would have to be one that's relocating though, kind of like how the Sonics did it with Oklahoma City. (Speaking of which, if there's going to be ANY city getting a team I sincerely hope that Seattle is at the very top of that list. I personally would like to see the Sonics back.)

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."