• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Draymond Green - Draft sleeper

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Douglar

Intentionally Grounded
Staff member
Reaction score
The money ball types are suggesting that Draymond will be an excellent value in the draft. If he's still around at pick 33, I don't see the Cavs passing on him twice.

Draymond Green Statistics | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Draymond Green 2012 NBA Draft News and Analysis - ESPN

We've been higher than most on Green all season. In March we predicted that a smart team would grab him late in the first round. Green did a lot this weekend to seal the deal with NBA decision-makers. In the opening round, Green produced a rare big man triple-double with 24 points, 12 boards and 10 assists. He followed that up Sunday with 16 points, 13 boards and six assists against Saint Louis as the Spartans advanced to the Sweet 16.

Green does not have the prototypical height of a power forward (he's around 6-6, though he does have long arms). He doesn't have the standard quickness of most small forwards (he's pretty heavy for a 3). I'm not sure what position he'll guard in the pros. What he does have is basketball IQ and the skills to make it lethal against his opponents. He can shoot, handle the ball, pass like a guard and isn't afraid to bang in the paint. There's little he can't do. Like White, he carries his team on virtually every possession.

Of course, we've known all of this for a while. Green is a senior on a top-5 team and has been playing this way for the past two years. The fact that he displayed it on the big stage of the NCAA tournament helps teams more with the public relations war than anything else. Most scouts have had him on the first-round bubble for a while; with this weekend's performance, he's probably done enough to secure being selected in the first round

He has other real flaws not mentioned in that blurb but overall Im meh on bench player prospects at this point.

If we go guard with our early pick in round 1, then I would think Green would be one of our type targets late in 1st or early 2nd for sure. He's a Cavalier type early 2nd round selection quite frankly. I can see him with us .. But, I'll be right upfront ...I fully expect MKG to be a Cavalier early on. One way or the other we are gonna find a way to land him in this draft. For many reasons that I really don't want to get into in detail, I think it benefits the Cavs longterm to do what it takes to get MKG under the Cavalier tent, and I expect it to get done.

If we go guard with our early pick in round 1, then I would think Green would be one of our type targets late in 1st or early 2nd for sure. He's a Cavalier type early 2nd round selection quite frankly. I can see him with us .. But, I'll be right upfront ...I fully expect MKG to be a Cavalier early on. One way or the other we are gonna find a way to land him in this draft. For many reasons that I really don't want to get into in detail, I think it benefits the Cavs longterm to do what it takes to get MKG under the Cavalier tent, and I expect it to get done.

Wooooooo

Thanks for taking the suspense out of the draft. j/k.
I assume you mean they'll trade up for MKG, if need be. I'm really hoping they don't, as I want them to keep all of their picks. Besides, I think there's a decent chance MKG will fall to our pick. Consider that Charlotte could easily go for Robinson or the local guy, Barnes, and Washington desperately needs outside shooting, which is not MKG's forte.

I really believe that MKG & the Cavaliers want one another. I think MKG working out at a Cleveland-area high school is more than a coincidence. It wouldn't surprise me if he refuses to workout for Charlotte & Washington, in an attempt to force his way to Cleveland at #4.

With regards to Green, he does strike me as a Cavalier-type of player. He's not big enough to play PF in the NBA and he's going to have to lose some weight & gain quickness to play SF.

He has other real flaws not mentioned in that blurb but overall Im meh on bench player prospects at this point.

He looks a lot better than Darnell Jackson, yes?

Hell, he looks a lot better than Luke Jackson at this point too.

I'd be a little disappointed if the Cavs use #24 on him though. They'll be some higher upside picks there.

I have a feeling W&G is alluding to the fact that KI and MKG are so tight. Playing a game with real close friends makes it that much more fun. And when you play the game of bball with fun, you are playing at a higher level.

And D...I've been pimping DG for some time. Would hear the undersized knocks, the fact that he has been in school so long, and he sucked as a freshman...but I've seen a guy that has improved every year, adding new wrinkles to his game (I chronicled those improvements in a post some time ago). Would LOVE him in the 2nd, like him with our late first (depending on who is on the board).

He looks a lot better than Darnell Jackson, yes?

Hell, he looks a lot better than Luke Jackson at this point too.

I'd be a little disappointed if the Cavs use #24 on him though. They'll be some higher upside picks there.

Yeah, but you cant discount Green being an undersized bad athlete. He pretty much wont be able to guard anyone. Maybe he can lose weight tighten his body and be a SF. Maybe. (Which I think may be his best shot.) His 3 selling points are spot shooting, rebounding and passing. It will take a certain type of team to put him in a situation to succeed.

If the Cavaliers draft him in the 2nd round I wont be expecting much but I wont kill them for the pick if it doesnt work out.

I may be way off base, but getting MKG may help us land someone else in the future who W and G can't talk about. Read into it what you want! Wine and Gold can you thank me if my theory is in the neighborhood?

I dont know this guy says that he is not connected anymore and then goes and says something like that. All very strange. The above poster is trying to imply that if we have KI TT MKG then it will be one big party and then Lequit will come back as his best friend Dwade is on his last leg.

I dont know this guy says that he is not connected anymore and then goes and says something like that. All very strange. The above poster is trying to imply that if we have KI TT MKG then it will be one big party and then Lequit will come back as his best friend Dwade is on his last leg.

this seems to imply that if the cavaliers draft rich paul clients then paul, in turn, will deliver lebron james back to the cavaliers when he next becomes a free agent. if that's the case then paul is playing the cavaliers big time.

this seems to imply that if the cavaliers draft rich paul clients then paul, in turn, will deliver lebron james back to the cavaliers when he next becomes a free agent. if that's the case then paul is playing the cavaliers big time.

I don't think anyone in the Cavs' organization will ever get "played" by someone from LeBron's inner circle ever again. Cavs want to win, MKG is friends with Irving, and he's good -- simple as that.

MKG has been in Cleveland, represented by a Cleveland based agent and is really close to Kyrie... I just hope we don't give up the house to move up two spots. If we draft MKG and have KI, you can bet those two will be here for a long time.

Why would we draft MKG if we were planning on Lebron coming back?

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."