• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2012 Draft

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
I just checked nbadraft.net's player ratings, like the things ntg posted from a different site
Barnes:
Athleticism Size Defense Strength Quickness Leadership Jump Shot NBA Ready Ball Handling Potential Passing Intangibles Overall
8 8 8 9 8 7 9 8 7 9 7 9 97
MKG:
9 8 9 7 8 9 7 7 7 9 7 9 96

Just for a reference
The spacing didnt work out how i wanted, so its kind of hard to read, but just follow the numbers i guess.

Barnes has average athleticism, maybe above average. He certainly didn't use it to overwhelm an opponent on the dribble. And his defense was average

MKG is equal at worst, but that kid could get to the rim, and defend anyone.

By the way, MKG faced off against Barnes twice. Once in High School, and once his freshman year. He outperformed Barnes on both occasions.

MKG's shot may be broken right now, but he will benefit greatly from additional spacing in the league and will get to the line with regularity, something Barnes couldn't even do after two years.

Barnes has average athleticism, maybe above average. He certainly didn't use it to overwhelm an opponent on the dribble. And his defense was average

MKG is equal at worst, but that kid could get to the rim, and defend anyone.

By the way, MKG faced off against Barnes twice. Once in High School, and once his freshman year. He outperformed Barnes on both occasions.

MKG's shot may be broken right now, but he will benefit greatly from additional spacing in the league and will get to the line with regularity, something Barnes couldn't even do after two years.
You do realize barnes averages more FTA per game, despite playing less (2 minutes less, but still).

You do realize barnes averages more FTA per game, despite playing less (2 minutes less, but still).

Product of getting more shots and being a bigger part of the offense.

I'm sorry, I'm not impressed. I gave the kid a pass for his freshman struggles and was excited about his potential and thought he would dominate the next year. Last memory I have of him is just getting absolutely stymied by some guard I can't remember on that Ohio U team. Fwiw MKG had his way with Barnes when they played, while MKG kept Barnes in check.

That's because Barnes shot more and had a higher usage.

MKG had better FTA/FGA and FTA/Poss rates

However, I will admit that Barnes showed a fairly significant amount of improvement in this facet from his freshman to sophomore seasons.

In case we do move down
Probasketballdraft ‏@Probballdraft

Indications are that Sacramento wants to add a player at 5, who is a winner & mature. Locker room concerns seem factor into Kings decision.

I am sorry, but this just cracks me up. Seems like they should actually try and get some more immature losers who are bad in the locker room - adding a mature winner w/ selfless attitude would be like a teardrop into the sea...

Is this Rudy Gobert guy eligible in this years draft?

No. 19 year old Frenchie, probably gonna be in next year's draft.

596889220.jpg

That's because Barnes shot more and had a higher usage.

MKG had better FTA/FGA and FTA/Poss rates

However, I will admit that Barnes showed a fairly significant amount of improvement in this facet from his freshman to sophomore seasons.
Very true. Barnes has much more of a perimeter oriented game anyways, so I would expect him to have less FTs per possession. I guess I just dont think that will be a huge advantage for MKG in the league, but Barnes' shot gives him a big advantage over MKG, at least so far in MKG's development. On offense, anyways. MKG is better at getting to the paint, but Barnes' deficiencies in this area are overrated. First of all, he doesnt really need to get to the basket all the time, considering his pull up shot is very effective. Second, he can get to the basket, he just isnt elite at it, and certainly doesnt do it enough.

Didnt someone say barnes' vertical was like 40? thats pretty damn good

I am sorry, but this just cracks me up. Seems like they should actually try and get some more immature losers who are bad in the locker room - adding a mature winner w/ selfless attitude would be like a teardrop into the sea...

For the sake of the draft pick they owe the Cavs would love to see the Kings add a mature player. MKG will likely be gone but a winner like TRob or T.Jones could give them immediate help.

Very true. Barnes has much more of a perimeter oriented game anyways, so I would expect him to have less FTs per possession. I guess I just dont think that will be a huge advantage for MKG in the league, but Barnes' shot gives him a big advantage over MKG, at least so far in MKG's development. On offense, anyways. MKG is better at getting to the paint, but Barnes' deficiencies in this area are overrated. First of all, he doesnt really need to get to the basket all the time, considering his pull up shot is very effective. Second, he can get to the basket, he just isnt elite at it, and certainly doesnt do it enough.

Didnt someone say barnes' vertical was like 40? thats pretty damn good

There is a reason Barnes' FG% hovered around 42% in both his years at UNC. It isn't because he just liked to settle for difficult shots or because he was put in tough situations by his teammates. It is because he has difficulty making the game easier on himself because his first step (ie: athleticism) is severely lacking compared to a 3 like MKG. If Barnes is as great a shooter as some on here pretend (he isn't) and if his ability to get to the paint and to the hoop isn't too far behind MKG, he would have been the kind of dominating player that everyone (myself included) expected at UNC.

He couldn't and therefore wasn't. It seems the further we get away from the actual college basketball season, the more people are forgetting about Barnes' deficiencies (and MKG's explosiveness)... and the kind of hype he was getting pre-UNC is back in full force.

I don't care what the tests say or how he was timed in a controlled setting in an empty gym... The guy struggled to beat defenders in college because he isn't very explosive, has a pretty slow first step and moves very mechanically (not smooth, lots of wasted motion).

Any comparisons in overall athleticism to MKG doesn't pass the smell test. I watched both guys on many occasions, even going against one another in a game... MKG is a far better natural athlete. It was completely obvious.

According to a source the Cleveland workout was very competitive. Players went hard but doesn't sound like any one prospect wowed the Cavs.

Cleveland Cavaliers working out Tony Wroten, Scott Machado, Royce White, Mike Scott, Robbie Hummel, & Draymond Green today. #Cavs

Really wanted Tony Wroten at 24. daytripper is a sad panda tonight. :bigcry:

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."