• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Draft News (workouts, rumors, speculation)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Status
Not open for further replies.

wuck

Hustling on the inside
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
<div style="background:#000;width:350px; height:260px;font:0px sans-serif;text-align:left;"><object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" id="cdtw" width="350" height="240" style="outline:none"><param name="movie" value="http://cdn.countingdownto.com/c/w.swf" /><param name="flashvars" value="eid=80020" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed name="cdtw" src="http://cdn.countingdownto.com/c/w.swf" flashvars="eid=80020" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="350" height="240" allowscriptaccess="always" bgcolor="#000000" style="outline:none"></embed></object><br/> <a href="http://countingdownto.com" style="font:bold 8px Arial;padding-left:19px;color:#444;">COUNTDOWN CLOCKS</a></div>

This is a locked thread. MODS will post draft-related news (or reposts from other threads) as things come up. There may not be much news at first, but we'll update it more often as the draft approaches on June 28 (7pm Eastern Time).

Trade talk threads can be found in this forum:
http://realcavsfans.com/forumdisplay.php?59-Trade-Rumors-amp-Ideas

Draft discussion can be found in this forum and others:http://realcavsfans.com/showthread.php?36987-2012-Draft

Some early mock drafts

Chad Ford:
4. Barnes
24. Quincy Miller

Draft Express (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/y-sports-draftexpress-2012-nba-mock-draft-no-022900401--nba.html)
4. Beal
24. Fab Melo​

Joe Kotoch (http://fanmonster.com/?p=2167)

Cleveland Cavaliers Draft Nuggets

By joekotoch

While the NBA Lottery is mere hours from now and the Cavs will find out if they are drafting 1st or 6th or somewhere between those spots the pre-draft workout season is well underway. The Cavs brass has met with and worked out multiple prospects ranging from late first round to undrafted prospects.

Usually agents of mid-first round picks and lottery prospects will wait until the draft order is set to arrange targeted workouts for teams. As a result teams will focus on scouting second round prospects and undrafted players that they have interested in inviting to summer league.

The Cavs have 4 of the first 34 picks in the Draft and are doing their due diligence as they could workout north of 70 players before the draft. Here is a list of the players confirmed to have worked out for Cleveland so far.

Tyshawn Taylor – the Kansas PG has very good size and great athleticism. Cleveland’s front office views him as a plus defender and could not only back up Kyrie Irving but play alongside of him at times. Likely a target of the Cavs in round 2 if he is available.

Will Barton – the Memphis SG is a good athlete but very skinny. Questions about his shot selection have to be answered and is a bit streaky from outside. An intriguing prospect in round 2 with the ability to score. Likely a rotation player. 2nd round candidate.

Henry Sims -the Georgetown big had an impressive NCAA Tournament and has shown the ability to get around defenders and facilitate from the foul line. Compares a bit to Boris Diaw in that regard. Good rebounder too. Would add quality depth. Could go anywhere between 35-50.

Casper Ware -the Long Beach State guard is an offensive firecracker. Quick off the dribble with deep range and able to score in hurry from anywhere on the court. Too small to start but could be an intriguing bench scorer in the Earl Boykins-mold. Late 2nd rounder to undrafted.

Reggie Hamilton – the Oakland PG was very productive and is a great shooter. Quick and can get by his man and jump the lane on defense. Strictly a backup PG. Late 2nd round but more likely undrafted. Could open some eyes in the Summer League.

Drew Gordon – arrived at New Mexico after transferring from UCLA. A very good rebounder and athlete that has the skills to step out on the pick and roll. Scores mostly around the rim but has an improving mid-range jumper. A rotation big capable of playing 15-20 a night. Range is somewhere between 35-55.

Zack Novak – the Michigan product is not a NBA player. Possibly brought in to see if he fits into the D-League with Canton and a possible summer league invitee for depth purposes. Undrafted. If any GM selects him on draft night that is grounds for immediate dismissal.​

Other known workouts:

The Cavs have been to St. Bonaventure to work out power forward Andrew Nicholson (6-foot-9, 240 pounds). He could be their pick at No. 24. Boston and Oklahoma City have also been on campus to work out the Canadian native. One scout compared him to Pacers power forward David West.​

From Chad Ford (thanks, supergoat52):

NEW YORK -- With the NBA draft order finally set and a definitive home in New Orleans for Anthony Davis, the Charlotte Bobcats are on the clock at pick No. 2.

Over the past few weeks I've been speaking with scouts, executives, agents and even a few NBA owners, trying to get a feel for what happens after Davis shakes David Stern's hand.

We have our Mock Draft 5.0 based on our best intel at the moment.

But teams are still weeks away from making their final decisions on whom they'll draft. Here are a few other things to consider:

• The Bobcats will likely decide between Kentucky's Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Kansas' Thomas Robinson at No. 2. Bradley Beal, Andre Drummond and Harrison Barnes are all in the mix there, but it seems as if Kidd-Gilchrist and Robinson are the two top guys on the board.

Another option might be for the Bobcats to go ahead and trade the pick in an effort to get more assets. The No. 2 pick, whichever player it is, isn't going to turn around the franchise next season. What the Bobcats need is depth.

Two teams to look at are Cleveland and Portland. Both would love to move up to the No. 2 pick. The Cavs would love to get their hands on Kidd-Gilchrist or Beal. The Blazers are also high on Beal.

If the Cavs offered the No. 4 and No. 24 picks, would that be enough for the Bobcats to pull the trigger? If Robinson is their target, yes. If Kidd-Gilchrist is? He's probably not on the board at No. 4.

The Blazers have the sixth and 11th picks. That's a steep price to pay to move up four spots in the draft, but if they're convinced that they don't love a player at No. 6, it might be worth it to them.

• The Wizards like where they are in the draft. They've been debating between Kidd-Gilchrist and Beal for months. If one of them is off the board, they'll be happy with the other.

• The Cavaliers were really hoping to get either Kidd-Gilchrist or Beal from this draft. Given our current mock, both players are off the board. We currently have the Cavs grabbing Barnes at No. 4. The Cavs had actually been hoping that Barnes would be in the draft last year and sources say they would have grabbed him at No. 4. Do they still love him after a disappointing sophomore season? Are they willing to roll the dice on Drummond instead? I hear Jeremy Lamb isn't out of the question here either.

• If the Kings can land Thomas Robinson at No. 5, I bet they keep their pick. He'd be a nice addition to their team and fits a need. Barnes and Drummond might also be fits. But the Kings are another team that I could see shopping their pick. They are loaded with young players who can score, but what they really need is veteran help.

It's tough to predict what the Blazers are going to do when they don't have a GM or a coach. Team president Larry Miller has been promising that they are nearing the end of the search, so we might have a better feel soon.

The Blazers have two untouchable players right now in LaMarcus Aldridge and Nicolas Batum. They could use help everywhere else. It will be very interesting to see if they roll the dice on Drummond if he slides this far. The upside, at No. 6, may be too much to pass up.

But I also wouldn't be shocked to see the Blazers trade one or both picks if they can land a young point guard in return. This draft is weak on point guards and although many teams, including the Blazers, like Damian Lillard, the sixth pick may be a little high for him.

The Clippers' Eric Bledsoe, the Pacers' Darren Collison and the Rockets' Kyle Lowry are possibilities.

• The Warriors have a history of taking long, athletic players who are more about upside than production. I don't see that happening this year -- not under the new ownership and new front office.

If the top six players on our Big Board are off the board on draft day, I see the Warriors focusing on more established players. I put Ohio State's Jared Sullinger at No. 7 in the mock, and he could be the choice. The Warriors like him. But the more I sift through the information I'm receiving, the more I think we might see Kentucky's Terrence Jones here. Not every team is convinced he's a 3, but if the Warriors think he can play that position, I could see them pulling the trigger. There's lots of upside there if you can overlook the poor body language and inconsistency. We have Jones sliding to No. 16 in our latest mock. That's probably his floor. I think No. 7 may be his ceiling.

One other name to discuss in Golden State is Iowa State's Royce White. The Warriors love him. However, he canceled his workout with the team because of an injury. The suspicion is that he's still dealing with some anxiety issues over travel. If he can overcome that and prove to NBA teams that he can get on a plane and go anywhere on a moment's notice, my guess is he skyrockets up the draft board and could be in play as high as No. 7.

• The Raptors expect to have big man Jonas Valanciunas with the team this season. If he were in this draft, I think he would've been the No. 2 overall pick. At No. 8, look for them to add a player to their backcourt who can go out and get his own shot. They've been looking hard at Syracuse's Dion Waiters, Washington's Terrence Ross, Lamb and Lillard. The sleeper pick for them might be St. John's freshman Moe Harkless. Sources say he is in the mix at No. 8.

• I don't know what the Pistons are going to do at No. 9. If the draft goes to form, there isn't a perfect fit for what they need. We've had UNC's John Henson there the past few weeks because he's long and blocks shots, but no one's a perfect fit.

• We'll wrap up at the No. 10 spot, where all signals point toward the Hornets grabbing either Lillard, UNC's Kendall Marshall or perhaps Waiters to throw lobs Anthony Davis' way all day. Of the three, I'm hearing Lillard may be in the lead right now.

• NBA agents are becoming less concerned with how high their clients are drafted and much more concerned about fit and franchise stability. Two teams in particular may have a tough time bringing in top talent before the draft. GMs see Cleveland, Washington, Portland and Golden State as preferable destinations at the top of the draft. They are scared to death of Charlotte and Sacramento right now.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Bobcats and Kings struggle to get every player they want to work out into their gyms.​

From Sam The Bullshit Whisperer:

June 4, 2012
--------------

When it comes to the Cavaliers, Alonzo Gee has become the hottest name on the roster. Not just in Cleveland, either.

That’s because Gee is a restricted free agent, a small forward with athleticism and repeated appearances on sports shows that feature high-flying dunks.

Mostly, Gee spent the latter part of the season as a starter, proving he’s capable of erupting for big nights when surrounded by the right talent. No, Gee wasn’t overly consistent – but let’s remember, this was just his third NBA season after going undrafted out of Alabama in 2009.

Before coming to Cleveland, Gee bounced around the league as a 10th, 11th or 12th man. He was originally signed by the Timberwolves in September 2009, then waived less than a month later. He also made brief stops with the Spurs and Wizards (twice).

But after averaging 10.6 points and 5.1 rebounds and showing flashes of lockdown defense this past season, Gee has improved his market value.

Several outlets have already reported the Suns are prepared to make a run at Gee – with a source telling The News-Herald the Suns could extend “a four-year, $16 million offer and hope the Cavs don’t match it.”

The Suns, of course, aren’t alone. League sources told FOX Sports Ohio the Wizards, Celtics and Rockets will also enter free agency with Gee high on their wish list.

Meanwhile, since the Cavs have the right to match any offer, they can afford to wait. Their plan likely consists of seeing who falls to them in the draft (they own the Nos. 4 and 24 picks in the first round), then tackling the Gee situation immediately after that.

“They like (Gee) and hope to keep him,” said an Eastern Conference general manager. “But they’re going to have to fight for him, and they know that. I’m guessing a lot of how they approach it will be a result of what they do draft-wise.”

Gee reportedly earned just more than $884,000 last season, playing in 63 of a possible 66 games.

Double Dribbles

-- Teams from around the league are also expected to approach the Cavs about obtaining one of their second-round picks. Along with the two first-rounders, the Cavs own the Nos. 33 and 34 picks overall. It seems unlikely, however, they will bring four draft picks to training camp in October. According to multiple sources, the Clippers and Suns have displayed an interest in the Cavs’ second second-round pick.

-- Another hot rumor making the rounds is the Cavs potentially trading their fourth overall pick to the Trail Blazers for the sixth and 11th overall selections. Neither team will confirm if those discussions are actually taking place, and those around the league have said they’ve heard nothing to support such talk. “I don’t think the Blazers would do that unless (the Cavs) gave up No. 24, too,” said one Western Conference executive. “It sure sounds good on the Internet, though.”

-- As for the idea of the Cavs trading up, well, don’t bet on it. Neither the Bobcats (No. 2) nor Wizards (No. 3) are currently shopping their picks, and even if they start, it won’t be an easy move. Remember last summer, when the Timberwolves supposedly didn’t want Derrick Williams? They tried shopping the pick, but found nothing they wanted in return, and guess what? They ended up drafting Williams. “With Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, (Bradley) Beal and (Thomas) Robinson on the board, it’s gonna take quite a bit to move up, that’s for sure,” said one GM.

-- Bucks forward Ersan Ilyasova is expected to be among the most sought-after free agents come July. Already, he is drawing interest from no less than 12 teams. Same goes for Nets forward Kris Humphries. Interestingly, the Nets are said to be the frontrunners for Ilyasova. Meanwhile, Humphries is likely to be heavily courted by the likes of the Nuggets, Mavericks and Warriors. Don’t be surprised if the Cavs contemplate a bid for both players, too.

Sam Amick (thanks MYoung23)

When former Duke point guard Kyrie Irving was picked No. 1 overall by Cleveland last June, it helped his cause that he wasn't a small forward.

LeBron James made his Decision to head for Miami a year before, and in his rookie year, Irving was facing more than enough pressure without the burden of replacing The Departed One at the three position.

A year later, North Carolina's Harrison Barnes could wind up playing that role.

Sources say the Cavaliers are very high on the 20-year-old small forward and appear unlikely to let him slip past them at the No. 4 slot in the June 28 draft. While this week's predraft combine in Chicago (June 6-7), and the team workouts thereafter, could always change things, rival executives are planning for Barnes to be off the board by the time the fifth pick (Sacramento) rolls around.

"He's a pretty big deal to them," one such executive said.

While I had Cleveland taking Florida shooting guard Bradley Beal in Mock 1.0, Barnes -- who is a skilled and versatile scorer and a capable defender -- would be the sort of two-way threat that coach Byron Scott values. He averaged 17.1 points (44 percent shooting overall, 35.8 percent from three-point range) and 5.2 rebounds for the Tar Heels as a sophomore, although he shot just 32.8 percent overall and 26 percent from beyond the arc while averaging 14 points in four games during the NCAA tournament (North Carolina fell to Kansas in the Elite Eight game). And considering he once announced his decision to attend North Carolina during a nationally televised segment on ESPN in which he picked between six suitors, maybe Barnes is destined for Cleveland.​

Sam The Bullshit Whisperer (thanks JMcCurry08)

Heard more & more last night about Harrison Barnes being high on Cavs' list. Higher than Bradley Beal even. @sam_amick reported this too

One Western Conference GM just told me: "Every NBA first-round mock draft we see today is likely 80-90 pct wrong. Dead wrong." He's right.​

Last edited:
From the ABJ. Also, official draft combine measurements come out tomorrow/Friday.

Kansas guard Tyshawn Taylor worked out for Cavs, confident he can play either guard spot
By Jason Lloyd

CHICAGO: Kansas point guard Tyshawn Taylor worked out for the Cavaliers about two weeks ago. While Kyrie Irving is entrenched as the starter, the Cavs could still be in the market for a backup.

Besides, Taylor is confident he can play either guard spot.

Taylor averaged 16.6 points and 4.8 assists in leading the Jayhawks to the national championship game. He is listed at 6-foot-3 and believes he can defend either guard position.

"They made it clear they want to be a defensive-minded team," Taylor said Thursday at the NBA combine. "They understand that's something I can bring to the table. With me being able to play the '1' and '2,' they don't see any conflicts. I understand Kyrie is their guy right now and that probably won't change for a while. There's no conflict. I could back him up or play beside him."

Taylor worked out for the Cavs against Long Beach State guard Casper Ware, who was not one of the 60 players invited to this week's combine.

"I think I could've done some things better," Taylor said. "(Ware) is a tough little guard who is quick and strong. It could've been better. It wasn't my best, but it wasn't my worst, either."

Taylor started all four years at Kansas, which was the winningest program during his time there. He was a third team All-America selection and first team All-Big 12. He left KU with 1,580 career points to rank 14th on the all-time list.

His decision making has come under scrutiny at times, particularly during the title game loss to Kentucky, but Taylor believes his history as a winner stands out.

"I think it's proven over my basketball career from the time I started playing that I'm a winner," he said. "I've been on winning teams and I've been big parts of every one of them. If you see me in a workout setting, you'll see how competitive I really am. I don't think any teams question my competitiveness at all."

Jason Lloyd

Kentucky's Doron Lamb said he has a workout scheduled with #Cavs for next week. He's a candidate at #24 or perhaps in 2nd round if he falls.

Beal is meeting with #Cavs today. He said he has heard they're are interested in him, but he hasn't had any communication with them until now. "I'd love to play with Kyrie Irving," he said.

Baylor's Perry Jones said he met yesterday with #Cavs, but doesn't have a private workout scheduled with them yet.

ProBballDraft

Tony Mitchell of Alabama says he worked out for the Cavs , Nets, and 5 other teams.

Chad Ford

Who impressed at NBA Combine? Damian Lillard, Perry Jones, Terrence Ross, Meyers Leonard, Moe Harkless, Andrew Nicholson, Jared Cunningham​

Not really a draft item...from Emiliano Carchia:

New York Knicks, Cleveland Cavaliers, Phoenix Suns and New Jersey Nets are the NBA teams interested in signing Bosnian PF Mirza Teletovic.​

Last edited:
NBA Draft Combine Measurements (thanks, Damage)

Au3yA49CIAIAxgb.jpg:large

Au3yCVECIAEPPUD.jpg:large

Jonathan Givony posted an extended article about the NBA 2012 Measurements (DraftExpress: Analyzing the 2012 Combine Measurements). Here are some highlights:

Analyzing the 2012 Combine Measurements

by: DraftExpress
June 8, 2012

Notable Measurements

-There are not too many ideal comparisons for Thomas Robinson (6'7.75 without shoes, 7'3.25 wingspan, 244 pounds) we can find physically, as his +7.5 wingspan differential makes him as long as a player like Jason Maxiell, but only half an inch shorter than a David West. In many ways, Robinson finds a middle ground among elite power forward prospects, especially when you take his 244 pound frame and 5 percent body fat into consideration.

Compared to the average power forward in our database, Robinson is slightly taller, heavier, and has a wingspan nearly 3 inches longer than the norm. Given the season he had and his presence on the boards, it seems safe to say that questions about Robinson's size are unfounded.

-Michael Kidd-Gilchrist's measurements (6'5.75 without shoes, 7'0 wingspan, 233 pounds) are actually quite close to those of a young Camelo Anthony (6'6.25 without shoes, 7'0 wingspan, 233 pounds). Kidd-Gilchrist, like Robinson and Davis, doesn't measure historically tall or long terms of sheer size and length, but obviously makes the most of his physical profile and has well above average tools for a wing at the NBA level.

-Bradley Beal (6'3.25 without shoes, 6'8 wingpsan, 202 pounds) is almost a mirror image of the average SG in our measurements database (6'3.5 without shoes, 6'7.8 wingspan, 201 pounds). He matches up well with past shooting guard prospects like O.J. Mayo (6'3.25 without shoes, 6'6 wingspan, 200 pounds) and Maurice Ager (6'3.25 without shoes, 6'7.75 wingspan, (203 pounds). Much has been made of Beal as a potential Ray Allen type shooter, and Allen measured in at 6'5 without shoes on in 1996 as a point of reference.

-While the other top players in this class seem to fit well with the other prospects at their positions in the NBA, Andre Drummond (6'9.75 without shoes, 7'6.25 wingspan, 279 pounds) breaks the mold at the center position. Drummond is a fraction of an inch shorter, 30 pounds heavier, and has a 4 inch longer wingspan than the average center in our database. Couple that with his stellar athleticism and you have one of the more unique players in this draft class.

Drummond measured in as the heaviest and longest player at the 2012 combine, and his wingspan ranks him among the top-20 players ever entered in our database. As a point of reference, Alonzo Mourning (6'9.5 without shoes, 7'6.5 wingspan, 249 pounds) and DeMarcus Cousins (6'9.5 without shoes, 7'5.75 wingspan, 292 pounds) seem to share Drummond's combination of length and weight, but Drummond's body fat (7.5) is lower than both Mourning's (9.1) and Cousins's (16.4). Drummond ties Malta's giant center prospect Samuel Deguara (7'3.4 without shoes) for having the lowest body fat in our entire database among prospects weighing over 270 pounds.

-Harrison Barnes (6'7 without shoes, 6'11.25 wingspan, 227 pounds) measures out in a range more commonly reserved for combo forwards, as he's an inch taller than the average small forward in our database with a wingspan just under a full inch longer. There are not many ideal comparisons for Barnes physically from measurements taken in recent years, but he is somewhat similar to Joe Alexander (6'7.25 without shoes, 6'11.5 wingspan, 220 pounds).

-Jeremy Lamb (6'4 without shoes, 6'11 wingspan, 180 pounds) was the third lightest player in attendance and measures out fairly similar to Sonny Weems (6'4 without shoes, 6'10 wingspan, 193 pounds)

I know this has been speculated about by RCF. But I'm not sure if it has been reported in this form:

From Alex Kennedy (Hoopsworld)

Cleveland and Portland have talked about swapping draft picks, according to source. Cavs would get #6 and #11, Blazers would get #4 and #24.

Last edited:
From Chad Ford:

Sources say the Cavs offered the Hornets No. 4, No. 24, No. 33 and No. 34 for No. 1. And sources said the Cavs got a firm and quick “No!

Probballdraft:

Was chasing down confirmation from Cavs about the reported offer to New Orleans. Source confirms talks but says nothing formal ever made.

When asked about potential swap of picks b/w Portland & Cleveland same source said extremely unlikely because Cavs would face less certainty at 6.

Cleveland Cavaliers worked out Tony Wroten, Scott Machado, Royce White, Mike Scott, Robbie Hummel, & Draymond Green today.

According to a source the Cleveland workout was very competitive. Players went hard but doesn't sound like any one prospect wowed the Cavs.

Last edited:
Results and analysis by DraftExpress of the athletic tests from the NBA Combine can be found here: DraftExpress: NBA Combine Athletic Testing Analysis

Some highlights:

Athletic Testing Composite Rankings
Out of curiosity more than anything else, we've compiled our own Athletic Testing composite rankings. These were made by assigning players points depending on where they graded out compared with the other prospects in each of the tests done in Chicago. In a perfect world, this composite ranking would tell us who the best and worst athletes are in this draft class. Unfortunately, it's far from perfect for the reasons we described above.

Ranking Prospect
1 Darius Johnson-Odom
2 Harrison Barnes
3 Jordan Taylor
4 Marcus Denmon
5 Jeff Taylor
6 Quincy Acy
7 Miles Plumlee
8 Orlando Johnson
9 Bradley Beal
10 Marquis Teague
11 Perry Jones
12 Arnett Moultrie
13 Damian Lillard
14 Darius Miller
15 Moe Harkless
16 Jae Crowder
17 JaMychal Green
18 Tony Wroten
19 Festus Ezeli
20 Kevin Murphy
21 Andre Drummond
22 John Jenkins
23 Meyers Leonard
24 Jeremy Lamb
25 Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
26 Terrence Ross
27 Tyshawn Taylor
28 Scott Machado
29 Thomas Robinson
30 Tyler Zeller
31 Draymond Green
32 Tony Mitchell
33 Austin Rivers
34 Quincy Miller
35 Tu Holloway
36 Drew Gordon
37 Terrence Jones
38 Doron Lamb
39 Mike Scott
40 Hollis Thompson
41 William Buford
42 Kevin Jones
43 Robbie Hummel
44 Bernard James
45 Kris Joseph
46 Fab Melo
47 Will Barton
48 Khris Middleton
49 Andrew Nicholson
50 Jared Sullinger
51 Henry Sims
52 J'Covan Brown

Top Prospect Athletic Testing Analysis

-Harrison Barnes performed exceptionally well in the athletic testing on the whole, and some of his marks would likely even surprise those who are familiar with his work ethic and training habits. Barnes registered a 38 inch standing vertical leap, which would rank as a top-5 all-time mark in our database. His max vertical jump was not quite as outstanding, but still well above average at 39.5 inches. Barnes was above average across the board, pushing off 15 reps on the bench and ranking in the top quartile of essentially every test. Although he was maligned for his ability to get to the rim off the dribble at times during his college career, Barnes is a smart and savvy worker and his all-business had him prepared to compete here.

-Bradley Beal did not test off the charts in any one area, but his 39 inch maximum vertical leap was well above average, and the rest of his marks were all ahead of the middle of the pack. Beal may not be a freak physically, but his athleticism works well with his perimeter skill set, and translated pretty smoothly into a combine setting.

-Andre Drummond was the biggest winner of the measurements portion of the combine, and posted a solid performance in the athletic testing too. Drummond's 31.5 inch standing vertical leap helped him reach as height of 11'9, the highest mark at this year's combine. His 10.83 second time placed him in the top-10 of the lane agility drill standings as well –a fairly incredible feat for a player weighing 279 pounds. For reference purposes, Nene posted a time of 10.73 in the same event at 253 pounds in 2002, one of the only times quicker than Drummonds recorded by a player weighing over 250.

-Michael Kidd-Gilchrist was among the quickest players in attendance and ran the 3rd fastest ¾ court sprint in a time of 3.2 seconds. His maximum vertical jump of 35.5 inches was just average, but the UK product's speed was impressive.

-Thomas Robinson also mustered a 35.5 inch maximum vertical leap, and managed a solid 15 repetitions in the bench press. Robinson, like Kidd-Gilchrist, had a few strong performances, but didn't stand out for the most part on paper.

Jeff Goodman (CBS)

Harrison Barnes vs. Bradley Beal in Cleveland on Saturday, source told CBSSports. Should be interesting to see what happens in that one.​

Diario de Noticias de Alvana

Article on Teletovic (Teletovic jugará en los Brooklyn Nets o Cavaliers. Diario de Noticias de Alava). According to summary twitter messages, it says that he is deciding between the Nets and the Cavaliers:

• Mirza Teletovic is making a decision about his future. A future that, for sure, will take him to an NBA team, as his agent Misko Raznatovic told this newspaper. "He's moving to the NBA", he said.

• After pointing at four franchises as possible destinations (New York Knicks, Phoenix Suns, Brooklyn Nets and Cleveland Cavaliers), it looks like only two of them are still on the shortlist. Teletovic will move to Brooklyn or Ohio. Raznatovic made clear that "he doesn't know what team he will play for". Anyway, in this process two rebuilding franchises have been selected: "(Brooklyn) and Cleveland."​

<div style="background:#000;width:350px; height:260px;font:0px sans-serif;text-align:left;"><object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" id="cdtw" width="350" height="240" style="outline:none"><param name="movie" value="http://cdn.countingdownto.com/c/w.swf" /><param name="flashvars" value="eid=80020" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed name="cdtw" src="http://cdn.countingdownto.com/c/w.swf" flashvars="eid=80020" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="350" height="240" allowscriptaccess="always" bgcolor="#000000" style="outline:none"></embed></object><br/> <a href="http://countingdownto.com" style="font:bold 8px Arial;padding-left:19px;color:#444;">COUNTDOWN CLOCKS</a></div>

Givony / Draft Express (Y! Sports/DraftExpress 2012 NBA Mock Draft No. 2 - Yahoo! Sports

1. New Orleans
Anthony Davis PF

2. Charlotte
Thomas Robinson PF

Although the Bobcats and their fans will certainly be disappointed not to end up with Anthony Davis after the miserable season they endured, they should get over that fairly quickly when they realize they are about to add an extremely important piece to their roster who is arguably more ready to compete from day one than Davis.

Robinson is scheduled to visit Charlotte on June 22nd and remains the clear frontrunner at #2. Despite reports to the contrary, it appears highly unlikely that they will move the pick at this stage.

3. Washington
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist SF

The Wizards will also be disappointed initially not to end up with the top overall pick after finishing with the league's second-worst record. But that should be short-lived as well when they realize that a very exciting piece in their rebuilding process is on the way in Kidd-Gilchrist, who right now appears to be ahead of Bradley Beal on Washington's board according to reports we've received.

4. Cleveland
Bradley Beal SG

Sporting virtually nothing in their backcourt going into next season outside of Rookie of the Year Kyrie Irving, the Cavs need immediate help at the shooting guard position. Beal has the perfect skill set and demeanor to complement Irving, which should make him an extremely attractive pick. Harrison Barnes will likely also get a long look here, even if he's reportedly not quite as close with Kyrie Irving as some have made them out to be.

5. Sacramento
Harrison Barnes SF

6. Portland (via Brooklyn)
Andre Drummond C

24. Cleveland (via LA Lakers)
Andrew Nicholson PF/C

The Cavs seemingly need everything except a starting point guard at this stage, and adding some size to the frontcourt wouldn't be a bad idea. Nicholson is big enough to operate alongside Tristan Thompson and a good enough shooter to play with Anderson Varejao.

For many more mock drafts, see this thread: Consensus Mock Drafts

Last edited:

Joe Kotoch (thanks to theNorthCoastKid)

With the NBA Draft just twelve days away things are really starting to ramp up. Teams are jockeying to workout players individually or in groups and evaluate them in person. It appears that the first three picks of the draft are starting to fall into place. While it is no surprise that Anthony Davis is going to be the first pick, it appears according to league sources that Charlotte is leaning towards Thomas Robinson and Washington will take Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, provided he slips to 3. In that scenario the Cleveland Cavs will be the team to watch on Draft night.

Cleveland is seriously considering Kidd-Gilchrist, Brad Beal, Harrison Barnes, Andre Drummond, and Austin Rivers.
Rivers has been a name that is rising on the Cavs board with his creative scoring ability and range. Rivers is rising up boards and is under consideration by Portland, Toronto, and New Orleans in the top-10. Cleveland hosted a workout between Beal and Barnes today, according to sources Beal really impressed as a shooter while Barnes showed surprising improvement as a ball handler. It is very likely the Cavs decision will come down these two players and the Cavs are not in a rush to make a decision.

Speaking of Barnes, a source tells PBD that the Bobcats are seriously considering Barnes at 2 and that Michael Jordan is convinced Barnes will be an even better pro than he was at UNC. The source goes on to say "MJ knows the system Barnes played in and having excelled as a pro thinks Barnes can do the same." The same source goes on to say that Barnes would help excite the fan base in Charlotte and that the Bobcats would like to excite their fan base.

It may be a case of history repeating itself but Geoff Petrie and the Sacramento Kings may again draft the player Joe Dumars and the Pistons are targeting with their pick. In the 2010 Draft the Pistons wanted to select DeMarcus Cousins but Sacramento beat them to the punch. Now it appears Dumars and company really like John Henson and that Henson could be their guy at 9 but word is Sacramento would be open to Henson at 5 if Drummond and Robinson are both off the board.

Several teams across the league have made it know how open they are to dealing their picks. Among the deals looking to deal are Golden State, Houston, Minnesota, and Memphis are the most frequently mentioned teams per league sources. One source goes on to say that some of these teams are more desperate to move their picks because it is such as weak international draft that its not feasible to draft and stash a pick in the first round outside of Evan Fournier.

More from Kotoch:

Cleveland's workout between Harrison Barnes and Brad Beal is over. Spoke to several sources and it sounds like both players performed well.

Beal was hitting his jumper and very competitive. Barnes was able to shoot over Beal and made some tough baskets.

From the sound of things both players looked good. Cavs will have a real decision to make between the 2 but sounds like Beal has the edge.

Last edited:
From Pro Basketball Draft

June 18, 2012

By Joe Kotoch

Welcome to the latest installment of the PBD Draft Journal. As the draft is merely 10 days away the league is gearing up for an exciting night full of anticipation and excitement. While the first pick is clear, the questions begin at 2 and who will the Bobcats select or will they even make the pick?

The Bobcats, as was previously reported by PBD, have been among the most active teams talking trades as Charlotte's preference is to move down and grab one of the second tier players and acquire an additional asset. According to sources in Charlotte the Bobcats would like to move down with a team in the top-6 and acquire an additional pick or add a young player with potential. Bobcats GM Rick Cho was very visible at the NBA Combine in Chicago and according to one rival GM "Rick really wants to move the pick because he's not convinced about any of the guys at 2." This source went on to say that is not to say that Charlotte doesn't like any of the players in the high-lottery but rather the franchise views each player as having some flaws. If Charlotte were to keep the pick it sounds like Thomas Robinson and Harrison Barnes are the two names Michael Jordan is most comfortable with and Jordan apparently gives the edge to Barnes.

Washington, as Ted Leonsis stated during the Lottery, will stand pat at 3 and seem to be considering Barnes, Brad Beal, and Thomas Robinson but are infatuated with Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. The Kentucky forward is said to at the top of the Wizards' wish list. Washington's front office seems intrigued by how athletic a lineup featuring Kidd-Gilchrist and John Wall could be and while there is a faction that would like to bring in Robinson, the hometown kid, Jan Vesely and Kevin Seraphin still have the franchise's confidence.

Sitting at 4 is Cleveland and the Cavs appear to be quietly talking deals with several other lottery teams, not just about swapping picks but exploring whether a deal can be made that gives Cleveland another top pick. Sources say the Cavs have been in touch with the Hornets (10th), Blazers (11th), and Rockets (14th and 16th) about what it would take for Cleveland to acquire their respective picks. As was first reported by PBD, the Cavs came away more impressed by Beal during Saturday's one-on-one workout against Harrison Barnes.

Per sources Cleveland covets Michael Kidd-Gilchrist but seem less inclined to deal with Charlotte to acquire him. After Kidd-Gilchrist the Cavs brass appears to have it ranked Beal, Drummond, Barnes, and Robinson but that their final draft board will not be set until next week. The UCONN center arrives in Cleveland this week and it will be an interesting workout as Cleveland has been very hushed about their feelings on him. Looking historically at Cavs GM Chris Grant he prefers to draft athletic prospects with high upside whenever possible as evidenced by J.J. Hickson, Christian Eyenga, and Tristan Thompson. Grant was the assistant GM but in charge of the draft and ranking the Cavs board at the time Hickson and Eyenga were selected. It would not be a shock to see the Cavs pull the trigger on Drummond as the Cavs, who could have as much upside as any player in this draft. Sources in Cleveland do concede if the Cavs were to select Drummond the rest of the draft would be centered on finding perimeter scoring with their remaining picks.

Another team that will be interesting to watch on draft night is Sacramento as the Kings are reportedly looking to add a mature winner who can help this team. That would seem to describe Robinson, Barnes, and John Henson but there is a faction within the Kings front office that really is intrigued by the possibility of Drummond. Adding Drummond to play alongside DeMarcus Cousins would give the Kings one of the brightest young frontcourts in the NBA.

A couple names that continue to soar up boards are Damian Lillard and Austin Rivers. Lillard is the consensus top PG in the draft and now has forced Portland's hand. A league source tells PBD that the Blazers were impressed by Lillard's workout last week and now are under the impression that Lillard will be snatched up by either the Raptors or Hornets. Because of that belief there is a growing pressure on Blazers GM Neil Olshey to take Lillard at 6 or focus on Dion Waiters or Kendall Marshall at 11.

Rivers on the other hand has surged in front of Jeremy Lamb on several lottery teams' draft boards and may have secured a promise with the Hornets at 10. Speaking of Lamb, the UCONN guard sprained his ankle and has begun to slip a bit but it sounds like his floor is 13 with the Suns.

While it has been well-documented that this is a very weak international draft the deadline to withdraw is today at 5:00 p.m. (EST) and it sounds like a handful of prospects will pull out but the most discussed names like Evan Fournier, Tornike Shengalia, Furkan Aldemir, Tomas Satoransky, Josep Franch, and Kosta Papanikolaou will all remain in the draft.

In the final week and a half it sounds like the usual cast of veterans will have their names floated as possible trade bait. Luol Deng, Rudy Gay, Trevor Ariza, Mike Conley, Tony Parker, Jose Calderon, and Anderson Varejao should all expect to see their names mentioned in possible deals but also a few big names may surprise you. According to one GM, "Keep an eye on Dwight Howard and Tyreke Evans. It's no surprise they have pinned their clubs into a corner." The source goes on to say that Evans' inability to make it work in Sacramento will scare some teams off but there is so much raw talent that somebody will fall in love.

Pro Basketball Draft - Shakeup at 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-12: "Max Strus Juice"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."