• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

A closer look at Harrison Barnes

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
How can this guy get the 4th best ever standing vertical by DX (38"), then turn around and only get a 39.5 max vertical? Shouldn't
your max vert be 4-5 inches more than your standing vert?
Part of standing vert is your standing reach, you can somewhatly 'game' standing vert by shorting your standing reach.

Look at Barnes compared to others in this draft class

Harrison Barnes: 6'7'' without shoes, 6'8'' with shoes, 227 pounds, 6'11.25'' wingspan, 8'6'' standing reach, 9.6-percent body fat.

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist: 6'5.75'' without shoes, 6'7.5'' with shoes, 232.8 pounds, 7'0'' wingspan, 8'8.5'' standing reach, 7-percent body fat.

Bradley Beal: 6'3.25'' without shoes, 6'4.75'' with shoes, 201.8 pounds, 6'8'' wingspan, 8'3'' standing reach, 6-percent body fat.

Terrence Jones: 6'8.25'' without shoes, 6'9.5'' with shoes, 252 pounds, 7'2.25'' wingspan, 8'9.5'' standing reach, 7.7-percent body fat.

btw, not trying to hate on Barnes...I hoping for either MKG or Barnes in the draft

the best three bigs on the roster not being able to shoot outside of 3ft isn't good going towards the future (not to mention the significant lack of elite talent on the roster).

They believe Thompson has the ability to knock down an outside or elbow jumper. If based upon his free-throw shooting development, he should certainly be able to develop that shot, imo. I think Thompson has elite talent, just not quite developed.....

That's your bias leaking through. Perhaps he's so coordinated that he's nearly gotten rid of the gap between his no step vertical and max vertical. But all bodies are built differently. I have a 700 lb deadlift, yet I can only bench 315. Most guys who can bench 315 max out in the 400s or 500s in deadlift, and guys who have a 700 lb deadlift typically have a 500 lb bench or so. Do I suck at bench, or am I just gifted in deadlift? Biases would make one person answer one way or another.

Do you have freakishly long arms?

Regardless, the movements you are comparing are quite different, whereas the different leaping forms are very similar. I would imagine Barnes missed the ticker on his max max vert test.

Anthony Davis and other NBA draft prospects who could turn into stars - NCB - ESPN

I think Barnes can be a better pro than college player, and he was a terrific college player. Barnes has size, length and very good athleticism. I believed he was an elite athlete when I saw him in high school, but I changed my assessment of him in college. At North Carolina, I thought Barnes was a very good, but not world-class, athlete.At the combine, he tested out as a true world-class athlete. Barnes had a 39-inch vertical leap and a 38-inch "no-step" vertical, which is phenomenal. His agility was equally impressive, to the point of jaw dropping. That tells me that Barnes was thinking too much in college. He seemed very "process-oriented," and I think, as good as he was, he will be better in the NBA.
Barnes is an outstanding jump-shooter and has the ability to handle and drive it, and he should improve in that area in the NBA. He is also long-armed with the tools to be a terrific defender. He's going to live up to our wild predictions of him in high school.

Chat: Chat with Chad Ford - SportsNation - ESPN

CW (Pittsburgh)

How much do you weigh Harrison Barnes' measurables versus his inability to do anything against Ohio or Kansas without Kendall Marshall?
Chad Ford
(1:06 PM)

It's just a piece of information. Barnes did struggle to create his own shot all year. He looked a step slow and clearly needs to tighten up his handle. He has lost some weight which I think has helped his explosiveness. How NBA teams use this information in conjunction with everything else will be interesting. I wonder if this will tip the scales for the Cavs at No. 4. I'm also hearing rumblings that Barnes may be in the mix with the Bobcats at No. 2.

How much weight did he lose? That may help alleviate my concerns if his quickness has improved to dropping some mass

From Draft Express: Video Scouting Report on Barnes

[video=youtube_share;SAuvZdi7coQ]http://youtu.be/SAuvZdi7coQ[/video]

If the Bulls were interested in trading Deng for Barnes, I wouldn't think Cleveland would be the partner but our rumored interest in Barnes may bring us in to the deal or at least influence it.

Can't wait to have Barnes alongside Kyrie and Thompson next season. 3 of 5 pieces. Gotta find numbers 4 and 5!

Hopefully we can find one of those 2 with picks 24, 33, and 34. Get the last one next year. Start the dynasty!

All this brand stuff that Barnes has, and the fact that there have been multiple places where I have seen that Barnes's camp is trying to get him to a big market, makes me really hope that the Cavs don't take him.

All this brand stuff that Barnes has, and the fact that there have been multiple places where I have seen that Barnes's camp is trying to get him to a big market, makes me really hope that the Cavs don't take him.
link?

I know he interviewed with the Bulls which is obv a better market than CLE/WAS/SAC/CHA. Didn't really hear much about his "camp" (why do so many players have camps??? esp as rookies) pushing him towards one tho.

I do think if he doesn't refocus his priorities market could very likely be a big factor when he eventually becomes a free agent.

Do you have freakishly long arms?

Regardless, the movements you are comparing are quite different, whereas the different leaping forms are very similar. I would imagine Barnes missed the ticker on his max max vert test.

I have a 6'7"-6'8" wingspan at 6'3", but there are other possible factors attributing to this. Different people have different insertion and origin points for their muscles in addition to different muscle fiber makeups and levels of CNS stimulation in certain parts of the body that will affect their strength in certain areas. I'm guessing it's a combination of all those things that make up my disproportionate strength. Oh well. At least I don't bench more than I squat or deadlift like some of the losers that only work out their upper bodies. :chuckles:

All I can say is that I'd love to be at the Beal vs. Barnes workout this Sunday. Sounds like a great way to decide on which one to draft.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."