• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Draft News (workouts, rumors, speculation)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Status
Not open for further replies.
<div style="background:#000;width:350px; height:260px;font:0px sans-serif;text-align:left;"><object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" id="cdtw" width="350" height="240" style="outline:none"><param name="movie" value="http://cdn.countingdownto.com/c/w.swf" /><param name="flashvars" value="eid=80020" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed name="cdtw" src="http://cdn.countingdownto.com/c/w.swf" flashvars="eid=80020" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="350" height="240" allowscriptaccess="always" bgcolor="#000000" style="outline:none"></embed></object><br/> <a href="http://countingdownto.com" style="font:bold 8px Arial;padding-left:19px;color:#444;">COUNTDOWN CLOCKS</a></div>

Alex Kennedy

Executives are falling in love with Bradley Beal. Teams are trying to trade into the top four to select Beal, according to multiple sources

"There's no way Beal slips out of the top four," said one league source. The Cleveland Cavaliers will draft him if he's available at four.

Rick Bonnell (Charlotte beat reporter)

People who say Harrison Barnes is sliding are just plain wrong, and I'm not often that frank. Bet he's a Cav, if not a Wizard

I hear Andre Drummond works out for the Bobcats on Friday, same as Thomas Robinson.​

Last edited:
<div style="background:#000;width:350px; height:260px;font:0px sans-serif;text-align:left;"><object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" id="cdtw" width="350" height="240" style="outline:none"><param name="movie" value="http://cdn.countingdownto.com/c/w.swf" /><param name="flashvars" value="eid=80020" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed name="cdtw" src="http://cdn.countingdownto.com/c/w.swf" flashvars="eid=80020" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="350" height="240" allowscriptaccess="always" bgcolor="#000000" style="outline:none"></embed></object><br/> <a href="http://countingdownto.com" style="font:bold 8px Arial;padding-left:19px;color:#444;">COUNTDOWN CLOCKS</a></div>

Joe Kotoch / Probballdraft

Big workout in Cleveland tomorrow. Andre Drummond and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist among those in attendance for the Cavs, per a source.

Other Cavs scheduled workouts. Will host Fab Melo and Jared Sullinger this week.

While the NBA Finals churns on the NBA Draft inches closer for the entire league. It appears that teams all across the league are starting to narrow down their targets on draft night and getting close to setting their draft boards.

The stock of Ohio State PF Jared Sullinger is sinking rapidly. With reports that Sullinger has one leg longer than the other and concerns about his back Sullinger's stock has fallen from potential top-10 pick to someone that may be on the board in the mid-20's. Sullinger's red flag is eerily reminiscent of DaJuan Blair, the Pittsburgh PF, who has no ACL in either knee. While Blair lasted into round 2, Sullinger is likely to be snared by a team in round 1 as he is bigger and more polished. Word around the league is that Denver, Boston, Cleveland, and Indiana are all teams in the 20's that would be willing to grab Sullinger. Another intriguing team to watch with respect to a falling Sullinger would be the Oklahoma City Thunder, who lack a low post scoring threat.

According to several sources around the league don't be surprised if Damian Lillard cracks the top top-6. Lillard worked out for the Portland Trail Blazers on Friday and reportedly dazzled, putting on a shooting clinic. Lillard was so impressive that there are some in the Blazers front office that are convinced the Blazers must select Lillard at 6 or risk losing him as the Raptors, and Hornets are very likely destinations for the draft's top point guard.

Word out of Sacramento is that Harrison Barnes has canceled a workout with the Kings. Several outlets are speculating that Barnes is pulling out after securing a promise from a team in the top-4 suspected of being the Bobcats, Wizards, or Cavs. However sources close to the Cavs say that Barnes is not as high on the Cavs board as many in the media have reported and Cavs GM Chris Grant is not the type to promise a prospect a week and half before the draft. By process of elimination it sounds like Charlotte could be the team that surprises many on draft night and takes Barnes. As PBD previously reported Michael Jordan has no qualms about taking Barnes.

Trade talks among the teams in the top-10 seems to be heating up. The Cavaliers have approached Charlotte, New Orleans, and Golden State about acquiring their lottery picks. While it is common for teams to talk and gauge interest about potential deals the Cavs have been more aggressive. Sources say the Cavs have expressed the willingness to absorb salary in addition to trading the 24th pick. A potential stumbling block with New Orleans is the Hornets insistence thus far to have Trevor Ariza and Emeka Okafor included in a deal for the 10th pick. According to one league executive the Cavs could get a deal done with the Warriors if they trade Anderson Varejao and 24 but that the Cavs are unwilling to pull the trigger on that deal right now.

On the subject of the Cavs, PBD reported that the Cavs have Andre Drummond ranked ahead of Harrison Barnes on their current draft board, which is still subject to change. Drummond's athletic abilities and size are extremely unique and has Grant and his assistants intrigued. Wednesday is a huge day for Drummond as he will be working out in Cleveland.​

Sam Amick

As I wrote recently, there's hardly a consensus on the draft's second-best player. That being said, I'm told that Beal is being more seriously considered [at 2] than before and could be the pick if Bobcats owner Michael Jordan isn't sufficiently impressed by Robinson's workout. The presence of incumbent shooting guard and leading scorer Gerald Henderson isn't expected to be a deterrent to taking Beal, either. Kentucky small forward Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and North Carolina small forward Harrison Barnes are also believed to be on the short list. There are some who think that Jordan is looking long and hard at his fellow Tar Heel Barnes, who is expected to work out for the Bobcats this week as well.

The Cavs are still a moving target when it comes to assessing their pick, and the contingent that believes Beal would be taken over Barnes has grown. I'm sticking to what I was told early in the process: They're in love with Barnes. But as I said at the start, things can always change and the buzz around Beal has been extremely loud lately. Barnes worked out against Beal on Saturday, and sources confirmed reports that Beal was the perceived winner. But even if Beal were still available in this scenario, this isn't about a glorified one-on-one scrimmage between players who play different positions. And here's where it gets interesting: After Beal's agent, Mark Bartelstein, refused to have his client work out for teams below the top four and sent a clear message of confidence that his guy wouldn't fall past the Cavs, Barnes' agent, Jeffrey Wechsler, followed suit this week. Sources said he canceled a workout with Sacramento (No. 5) for later this week, although I'm told Barnes' camp will reassess that situation after he works out in Charlotte.​

Jonathan Givony

Source confirms Washington is sending Rashard Lewis & No. 46 pick to New Orleans for Emeka Okafor & Trevor Ariza.

Rashard Lewis' 23.8 million dollar contract can be bought out for 13.7 million before July 1st. Trade saves New Orleans around 30 million?

Let's hope this early trade opens the floodgates and we get a fun week leading up to draft day.

Also, I guess Bradley Beal looks like a more likely option right now for the Wizards at #3 after trading for a SF (Ariza) and PF/C (Okafor).

Mock Draft change: MKG to Cavs at #4.

Sam The Bullshit Whisperer

Eastern Conference GM said never any truth to Hornets offering No. 10 pick with Okafor/Ariza contract. "They're keeping that pick. Period."​

Joe Kotoch
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, the Kentucky SF, completed a workout for the Cleveland Cavs today and reportedly was impressive. According to sources, Kidd-Gilchrist looked very fluid, quick, and explosive. While his shot still needs work, the Cavs sound confident that in time Kidd-Gilchrist, the youngest player in the draft, will become an average to above-average shooter.

Kidd-Gilchrist, a high school teammate of Cavs PG Kyrie Irving, has long been rumored to be a player that intrigues the Cavs and owner Dan Gilbert. Learning from the LeBron James experience the Cavs focus is to build a young team to win together and having players with a personal friendship like Kidd-Gilchrist and Irving should be a factor.

Another factor that the Cavs seem to like about Kidd-Gilchrist is his motor and character. Reports around the league are that MKG is an absolutely wonderful person.

At the same workout the Cavaliers also worked out UCONN C Andre Drummond. Despite mixed reviews about the big man, the Cavaliers and their GM very much like Drummond and are comfortable making him the 4th overall pick. According to one source the Cavs believe that adding Drummond with Byron Scott and Kyrie Irving will help his on-the-court development.

Last edited:

Sam Amick

In the continuing draft circuit, I'm told Kansas F Thomas Robinson had his way w/ UConn C Andre Drummond in a Cleveland workout today​

Joe Kotoch

Heard the same thing as @sam_amick that Thomas Robinson was impressive in Cleveland. "Ferocious" was the word used by one source.​

My take on this article is that:
  1. If Barnes slips to #7, GS drafts him
  2. If Drummond slips to #7, GS takes offers to see what they can get
  3. Otherwise they probably take Zeller to round out their front court

Waiters might be a good fit for them, but they never bring that up here.

Warriors draft update: Keeping #7, looking at Barnes and Zeller, and the current most likely scenarios | Talking Points

For now, it’s just a hint here, an inkling there–NBA Draft whispers and educated pass-alongs from cellphone to cellphone.

However, with just over a week to go before the Warriors are on the clock June 28 for their No. 7 overall selection I think I can do some narrowing down.

Though they’ve explored many options, the Warriors are unlikely to trade the pick, according to several league sources.

General manager Bob Myers and his staff have looked around for an established small forward, a move up to the second overall pick or possibly a move down to the middle of the round.

But at this point No. 7 just isn’t valuable enough for the big strike.

Better to use it than to push themselves and the pick into a forced trade.

* No surprise, the Warriors like several of the wing players expected to go in the first six picks—Kentucky’s Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Florida’s Bradley Beal and North Carolina’s Harrison Barnes.

But multiple sources say that the Warriors front office soured on Kentucky’s Terrence Jones and Baylor’s Perry Jones III after the two ‘tweener-forwards were unimpressive in last week’s group workout.

Meanwhile, Warriors ownership has apparently indicated that drafting a big man with the seventh pick would be its preference if there isn’t a standout at any other position.

Which leads to…

Scenario 1: If a top wing player unexpectedly slips to the Warriors, they’ll take him in a blink.

Barnes seems to be the likeliest candidate for a drop to the seventh slot after two good college seasons and one horrible tournament performance last spring.

There’s a lot to like about Barnes (scoring ability, athleticism), but maybe not a lot to love (no premier skill, questionable defense), and teams in the top six might fall in love with other perimeter players.

Either way, if he gets to the Warriors, Barnes–the treasured “best available player” pick–probably would be penciled in as the starting small forward right away.

In this situation, I’d expect the Warriors to look to trade incumbent starter Dorell Wright for salary-cap relief and maybe future draft picks.

Scenario 2: If form holds and no top-tier wing drops to them, the Warriors’ pick could be another North Carolina product–big man Tyler Zeller.

Zeller wouldn’t be a sexy choice, and he doesn’t project to be a starting NBA center. But Zeller can rebound, shoot and run and figures to be an immediate producer backing up both post positions.

Remember, both Andrew Bogut and David Lee finished last season on the injured list, Andris Biedrins can’t be counted on even for cameo minutes, and Jeremy Tyler remains a large question mark.

For now, it sounds like the Warriors brass has Zeller ranked ahead of the other second- or third-tier big men, including Illinois’ Meyers Leonard and North Carolina’s John Henson.

* One name to erase from consideration at No. 7 and probably well beyond that: Ohio State power forward Jared Sullinger wasn’t high on the Warriors list to begin with, but now has been pushed to the bottom of consideration after receiving a red flag on his back from NBA doctors.
I’m not sure the Warriors would use even their 30th overall pick on Sullinger at this point.

* There are more possibilities for the Warriors with the seventh pick, depending on how the first six picks go and who wins the debate in the draft room.

I’m not saying there’s currently a consensus favored candidate for the Warriors—as there was last year with Klay Thompson–because I don’t believe there is that kind of clarity this year.

If mercurial Connecticut big man Andre Drummond slips out of the top six, he surely will have some support—and some skeptics—in the Warriors draft room.

Weber State point guard Damian Lillard, an Oakland product, also could be an intriguing topic of conversation for Warriors executives.

And there are suggestions around the league that Jerry West has a dark horse candidate or two, always an entertaining staple of front-office conjecture.

But for now, let’s start with a base assumption: If Harrison Barnes slips through, the Warriors would be happy to take him, and if he doesn’t, Tyler Zeller is the big-man fall-back.

Until everything changes, then changes 15 more times, until we could all end up back where we started.

If MKG is there at 4, we grab him and don't look back ..then, if we can somehow got into the 7 slot ...forget Drummond ...let's get Lamb and have our PG, SG, SF, PF positions signed sealed and deleivered for the next decade or so ... then..pair our two 2nds to get back into the 20 range in the draft and get Moultre or Melo..

Chad Ford

The NBA individual workout circuit is almost complete. By now, most of the top players have completed their workouts or will complete them by the end of the week. We'll be watching closely over the next week to see if any workouts are added or if players are asked to come in for a second workout.

Here is a look at the top six players on our Big Board, with a rundown of where they have and haven't worked out.

1. Anthony Davis
Workouts: Hornets (6/19)
Analysis: It's hard to call this a "workout." Davis went in for a visit, met with team officials, had a physical and talked with reporters. It's not uncommon for the No. 1 pick to skip workouts altogether and just do visits. He doesn't need to go anywhere else. He's the No. 1 pick in the draft.

2. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
Workouts: Wizards (6/15), Bobcats (6/18), Cavaliers (6/20)

Analysis: Unless something changes, Kidd-Gilchrist is done working out. He won't be visiting the Kings, Blazers or anyone else.

Team sources (sorry, can't take the agent's word on these) all say he looked good in workouts. He's not much of a drills guy and didn't particularly shine in those. However, I'm told he shot the ball pretty well wherever he went. Where Kidd-Gilchrist really stood out was in the competitive parts of the workouts. I heard he was especially aggressive going against Bradley Beal in Charlotte on Monday. Kidd-Gilchrist did tweak his back a little toward the end of the Charlotte workout, but was fine in Cleveland.

I'm told that his workout may have moved the needle a little in his favor during that Charlotte workout. The whole team was wowed by his competitiveness there. He's in the mix along with Thomas Robinson and Harrison Barnes at No. 2.

The Wizards have really liked him all season. But with the recent trade that landed them Trevor Ariza as part of the deal, I think it points them strongly in the direction of Beal.

The Cavs have their list narrowed down to MKG, Beal and Barnes. It's very difficult to get a read right now on which way the Cavs are leaning. I think if Beal's there, he's the most obvious candidate. They need a 2 desperately and need the shooting. If it's Kidd-Gilchrist versus Barnes, it may be a toss-up.

I don't see Kidd-Gilchrist slipping past the Kings at 5. No, he didn't work out there, but I don't think the Kings really need him to. He's exactly what they need.

3. Bradley Beal
Workouts: Wizards (6/14), Cavaliers (6/16), Bobcats (6/18)
Analysis: Beal is also done working out for teams unless someone trades into the top four.

Beal has been terrific in all three workouts, according to team sources. He's shooting the ball very well and, like Kidd-Gilchrist, is a very aggressive and competitive player in workouts.

I don't, however, get the feeling that he's at the top of Charlotte's list. It sounds to me like Robinson, Kidd-Gilchrist and Barnes all have a slight edge there. That might have to do with Gerald Henderson. The Bobcats really like him and may feel the need to add talent at a position where they need more help.

As I wrote in Mock 8.1, I think Beal is a perfect fit in Washington thanks to the trade that swapped Rashard Lewis for Trevor Ariza and Emeka Okafor. The Wizards need both a 2 and a shooter, and Beal looks like the perfect fit.

If he doesn't go to Washington, I also think he's the slight favorite for the Cavs at No. 4.
At this point, I think his agent is right in that he won't slide past the fourth pick.

4. Thomas Robinson
Workouts: Wizards (6/13), Cavaliers (6/20), Bobcats (6/22)
Analysis: After Robinson finishes his workout in Charlotte on Friday, he's also done working out, I'm told.

The workout in Charlotte will be a big one for him. He's going head-to-head against Andre Drummond there. The Bobcats really liked Kidd-Gilchrist in his workout because of his aggressiveness and toughness. If Robinson can match that intensity on Friday, I think he has the leg up to go No. 2.

I don't really see Robinson going to Washington or Cleveland based on team needs.
The Wizards are loaded with bigs. The Cavs rolled the dice on Tristan Thompson at No. 4 last year and I doubt they'll bring in Robinson. He's too similar to Thompson.

I don't, however, think he needs to work out in Sacramento. If he's on the board at No. 5, I think the Kings take him, no questions asked. He'd be a very good complement to DeMarcus Cousins in the low post.

5. Harrison Barnes

Workouts: Raptors (6/14), Cavaliers (6/16), Wizards (6/19), Bobcats (6/21)
Analysis: Barnes' last scheduled workout is today in Charlotte. He had another workout scheduled in Sacramento, but he's canceled it and it doesn't sound like he's rescheduling.

Barnes' biggest workout was Thursday in Charlotte. While Robinson and Kidd-Gilchrist would give the team toughness, defense and energy, Barnes would deliver something else the Bobcats desperately need: scoring. His two years playing for the in-state Tar Heels wouldn't hurt, either. As I'm writing this, I haven't yet received word on how he looked in his workout there, but he is in the mix at No. 2.

Barnes also had a strong workout in Washington on Tuesday. He went against John Shurna and Kris Joseph and by all accounts looked great. I do think he's an option for the Wizards at No. 3 if they decide to pass on Beal or if the Bobcats take Beal at No. 2. The Wizards believe Barnes can play some 2 and desperately need a great shooter.

Barnes also is a serious candidate to go No. 4 to the Cavs. As I've reported previously, the Cavs had Barnes No. 2 on their Big Board last year behind Kyrie Irving and is an obvious fit there. The team needs more shooters and could use the help at the 3. If Beal is off the board, I think it comes down to Barnes and Kidd-Gilchrist. While reports out of Cleveland said Beal bested Barnes at their workout together, team sources say the Cavs don't put a huge amount of stock in workouts and that both players were very good.

If Barnes slides past the Cavs, I think the Kings will scoop him up at No. 5.

6. Andre Drummond
Workouts: Kings (6/14), Blazers (6/16), Wizards (6/18), Cavs (6/20), Bobcats (6/22)
Analysis: Drummond is the odd man out trying to work his way into the top five. I'm told that his upcoming workout in Charlotte will be his last, though he might have to revise that if he believes the Kings and Blazers might pass on him at No. 5 and No. 6.

I've heard he had strong workouts in Sacramento and Portland, and I've also heard that the Wizards and Cavs workouts weren't as strong. Sports Illustrated's Sam Amick reported that Robinson destroyed Drummond in the Cavs workout. I haven't heard it described that strongly, but I do think Robinson was considerably more aggressive, and thus much better. Given the age difference, experience gap and different styles, you could expect that, however.

They'll have a chance to go head-to-head again in Charlotte. I do think Drummond gets a long look at No. 6 if he falls to the Blazers. However, it's not a guarantee. The team is also high on Damian Lillard and Dion Waiters and could decide they need a scoring guard over a big man project. If he slides past there, the Warriors and Pistons are his next two places to fall.

Other workout notes:

• Dion Waiters sits No. 7 on our Big Board. Some have been reporting he didn't do any team workouts, but that isn't true. I was in Vegas to watch Waiters work out on May 22 and 23, and the Raptors' Bryan Colangelo and Ed Stefanski were in there with me on May 23.

• Weber State's Damian Lillard has been doing only solo workouts. So far he has worked out for the Raptors (6/12), Kings (6/13), Blazers (6/15) and Warriors (6/17). The Hornets have been trying to get him in, but he'll come only if they agree to a solo workout. It's an interesting strategy for Lillard; I'm not sure whether it's going to help him or hurt him.

Of the teams he's worked out for, it sounds like the Blazers are the highest on him. He had a very strong workout in Portland that ended with a dinner invite from Paul Allen. The question is whether the Blazers take him at No. 6 or No. 11. With teams like the Warriors, Raptors and Hornets also high on Lillard, he might not be around by the 11th pick.

• Finally, Duke's Austin Rivers has kept his workout range very narrow. He's worked out for the Wizards (6/19), Blazers (6/20), Raptors (6/14) and Hornets (6/4). He also has an upcoming workout with the Cavs. That's essentially picks 3-11. I'm told he won't work out for the Bucks at No. 12 or the Suns at No. 13. While Rivers doesn't have a promise, I'm told he strongly believes he's not sliding out of the top 11.​

Last edited:

Sam Amick

Get your gas masks on, folks. The smoke screen is thick in the NBA draft room these days. As teams and agents continue to play their angles in an attempt to do what's best for their respective teams or clients leading up to June 28, the agendas in play are piling higher than the prospect scouting reports. As such, we caution fans everywhere to embrace the chaos that will come in the next seven days and never forget the qualifier that comes with this time of year: things change daily, if not hourly.
That being said, here's the latest I'm hearing on this draft where -- stop us if you've heard this before -- nothing remains certain beyond the fact that New Orleans will take Kentucky forward Anthony Davis with the No. 1 pick.

• As Charlotte continues to ponder its decision at No. 2, numerous executives expect the Bobcats to be approached by Cleveland (No. 4) about the possibility of swapping picks (if it hasn't happened already) in order for the Cavaliers to land Florida shooting guard Bradley Beal. While Cavs point guard Kyrie Irving is known to be a huge proponent of drafting North Carolina small forward Harrison Barnes, it appears Beal has shot up their big board just as he has so many others, and it's widely believed that he won't get past Washington at No. 3 if they don't make a move.

The Cavs have four picks (Nos. 4, 24, 33, 34), and those could be enticing to the Bobcats as assets should they decide to pursue both quality and quantity in this draft. It would make some sense, considering they're coming off such a horrific season (league-record-low winning percentage of .106) and need so much roster help. What's more, if the widely held opinion that Washington would take Kentucky small forward Michael Kidd-Gilchrist at the No. 3 spot if Beal was gone held true, the Bobcats could still get Barnes at No. 4 if that's the direction they wanted to go. For more on that ...

• If there's no movement of picks in the top five, it remains unclear what the Bobcats would do at No. 2.​

(** Most importantly, less than a week left **)

Last edited:

Wine and Gold

I'm not convinced it's 100% legit ...signed,sealed, and delivered ...but I got a call from someone today that said he heard we had a deal in place for the 2nd pick, in order to select Beal. It involved our 4 and 24... which I think is pretty pricey given that 4 could likely be MKG... BUT, that's what I heard in a call today from a decent source..​

Probballdraft (Kotoch)
4. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (SF) Kentucky

Cleveland has been linked to Harrison Barnes for several weeks and it seems like a smokescreen. Cavs GM Chris Grant has a trackrecord of selecting high-upside athletes. The Cavs covet Kidd-Gilchrist, who is the youngest player in the draft and was the emotional leader of the national champs. MKG is a tremendous athlete and great finisher at the rim but his rebounding and defense are most intriguing. Andre Drummond is a real option here as well but reuniting MKG and Kyrie Irving wins out.

24. Nicholson​

Chad Ford

Every time I put up a new mock draft (Mock Draft 8.2 was updated on Thursday), I get a lot of feedback from readers who wonder how I put it together and how it differs from the Top 100.

This is how it works: Both pieces are reported. In other words, I talk with NBA scouts and executives to get a sense of:

A. Which teams like which players (mock draft).

B. What the consensus is among all 30 NBA teams about who the best players in the draft are (Top 100).

I use the word "consensus" lightly. Often, even GMs and scouts employed by the same team can't agree on rankings of players. As hard as it is for NBA draftniks to believe, there is very little consensus within teams, let alone between them, on draft night.

Obviously, the draft is an inexact science. NBA teams watch prospects play thousands of hours of games. They go to practice. They go to camps. They work out players, give them psychological tests, do background checks and conduct personal interviews. All of this factors into the process and can change opinions.

Factor in the ranking wars with another age-old debate -- do you draft for need or for the best player available? -- and it's no surprise the draft can be so volatile. Many teams take into account holes at certain positions (i.e., the team has no small forward) or coaching/system preferences (i.e., the Spurs draft players who can fit into coach Gregg Popovich's system) when making their decisions.

To make sense of disparate rankings and debates over team needs, the past few years, I've chronicled a draft ranking system employed by several teams that have been very successful in the draft, which I call a tier system. Instead of developing an exact order from No. 1 to No. 60 of the best players in the draft, these teams group players, based on overall talent, into tiers. Then, the teams rank the players in each tier based on team need.

This system allows teams to draft not only the best player available, but also the player who best fits a team's individual needs.

So what do the tiers look like this year? After talking to several GMs and scouts whose teams employ this system, I put together these tiers. (Because the teams do not want to divulge their draft rankings publicly, the teams will remain anonymous.)

(Note: Players are listed alphabetically in each tier.)

Tier 1
Anthony Davis
Note: This category is usually reserved for guys who are surefire All-Stars/franchise players. Last year, we didn't have anyone here. In 2010, John Wall was the only guy in this tier. In 2009, Blake Griffin was the only one. This year, Davis is the only player in the draft to get the nod.

Tier 2
Harrison Barnes
Bradley Beal
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
Thomas Robinson
Note: Tier 2 is reserved for players who are likely locks for the top half of the lottery and are projected as either very good starters or potential All-Stars by scouts. Robinson, Beal and Kidd-Gilchrist got the nod for Tier 2 from every GM I spoke with. Barnes, who has been rising on draft boards the past few weeks after some stellar athletic testing numbers at the NBA draft combine, was on 75 percent of the lists.

Tier 3
Andre Drummond
Damian Lillard
Dion Waiters
Note: This is a smaller than usual Tier 3. These are the only three players (outside of the five mentioned already) who were consensus top-10 picks among the GMs I spoke with. Of the group, Drummond and Lillard had every vote. Waiters was on most of the ballots. Drummond is the toughest guy to peg. One team has him No. 2 on their draft board. Others are much more nervous about him and see a high bust potential. He barely missed the Tier 2 cut. Interestingly, a few teams had Waiters in Tier 2, while a few teams had him in Tier 4. That's a pretty big spread.

Tier 4
John Henson
Perry Jones III
Terrence Jones
Jeremy Lamb
Meyers Leonard
Kendall Marshall
Austin Rivers
Terrence Ross
Jared Sullinger
Tyler Zeller
Note: After Tier 3, it's very difficult to find a real consensus here. There are 10 players here for a total of five spots left in the lottery. A few players, such as Jeremy Lamb and Austin Rivers, got a few votes in Tier 3. A few others, such as Kendall Marshall, got some Tier 5 votes. But in general, this group makes up the 10-20 range of the draft. (We should note that I received some of these responses before GMs had a chance to review Sullinger's physical. He is in Tier 5 on some teams' boards now.)

So how does the tier system work?

The rules are pretty simple. You always draft the highest-ranked player in a given tier. Also, you never take a player from a lower tier if one from a higher tier is available. So, for example, if the Pistons are drafting No. 9 (Tier 3 territory) and Damian Lillard (a Tier 3 player) is on the board, they take him regardless of positional need. If they have Meyers Leonard ranked No. 1 in Tier 4, they still take Lillard even though center is a more pressing need.

This system protects teams from overreaching based on team need.

Like every draft system, the tier system isn't perfect. But the teams that run it have found success with it. It has allowed them to get help through the draft without overreaching. Compared to traditional top-30 lists or mock drafts, it seems like a much more precise tool of gauging which players a team should draft.

Last edited:

Probballdraft (Kotoch).

Do you think the Cavs and Warriors pull off the deal for Varejao/24th for the 7th? /// No I don't.

Chances cavs move up to 2 for beal? /// 10%.

Odds the Cavs add another lottery pick? /// 15%

New Mock draft: 1. Davis 2. Barnes 3. Beal 4. Drummond 5. MKG

On Drummond: This is the hardest call in the top-5. The Cavs have worked out all the top prospects and are behind the scenes extremely high on Drummond. While Cleveland would like to add perimeter scoring/shooting, Drummond has too much potential to pass on. Drummond’s size, athleticism, and abilities are very unique and for a team like Cleveland with a stable coaching staff could afford to develop him. While some are quick to dismiss him, Drummond is already a quality defender and shot blocker that will only improve as a rebounder and post scorer in the NBA. Playing alongside one of the game’s best young point guards would also accelerate Drummond’s development. Cleveland, according to a league source, has been one of the most active teams in terms of trade talks as they want to add an additional lottery pick.

Pro Basketball Draft - Mock Draft

Other draft picks:
24. Nicholson
33. John Jenkins
34. Kosta Papanikolaou​

-----

By my count, probballdraft has listed the following players as prospective #4 draft choices: Barnes, MKG, Beal, and now Drummond. With 5 days left to the draft, how many more times will this mock draft change?

Chad Ford

On Charlotte: Thomas Robinson is a bit of a placeholder right now. The Bobcats have had all the major players in for workouts, but are in the process of seeing if they'd be better off trading this pick. As we've reported the past three weeks, they're looking for multiple young assets in return.

The most likely scenario has the Bobcats swapping the No. 2 pick with Cleveland for the No. 4 pick and either pick No. 24 or picks Nos. 33 and 34. Obviously the Bobcats would prefer the 24th pick, but the Cavs would prefer to hold on to it. [COLOR="#8000000"]While the Cavs aren't the only team that's in play for the pick, they have the most realistic scenario right now and would likely take Bradley Beal at No. 2. [/COLOR]But if the Bobcats keep the pick, it sounds like Robinson has a slight edge here.

4. Harrison Barnes

Analysis: Ideally, the Cavs would like to move up to the No. 2 spot to grab Beal. But the price is high and they may decide to settle at No. 4. If they do, they have a tough choice between Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Harrison Barnes.

Over the past few days, it appears Barnes has moved ahead of Kidd-Gilchrist on the Cavs' board. The team needs shooters and feels like he's further along. They love Kidd-Gilchrist too, but it sounds like he's become a tougher sell thanks to his limited offensive repertoire.

24. Fab Melo. Analysis: If the Cavs go small with their first pick, Melo could be a nice get with No. 24. He's big and athletic and he could end up being a terrific shot-blocker. The fact that they have fellow Brazilian Anderson Varejao to mentor him is a bonus.

33. John Jenkins | SG | Vanderbilt. The Cavs are hoping to load up on shooters and need help at the 2. Jenkins may be the best long-range sniper in the draft. He has a super-quick release and is aggressive hunting for his shot.

34. Kostas Papanikolaou | SF | Greece. Papanikolaou really impressed a number of NBA GMs and scouts at the Euroleague Final Four this year with his lockdown defense on Andrei Kirilenko. Ironically, the player he's compared to the most is Omri Casspi, the Cavs' current starting small forward. Papanikolaou is a draft-and-stash prospect. He won't be in the NBA for at least one more season.

Sam Amick

What are NBA executives saying about the quality of the draft?

All in all, they appear content with the level of talent -- maybe three and a half stars out of four if we're going movie-review style. But no one expects a bevy of future All-Stars. The execs I've spoken with mention Kentucky power forward Anthony Davis and Florida shooting guard Bradley Beal as the only players who seem bound for that status. But the talent evaluators also see a long list of dynamic players who could be quality contributors for years to come.

** Less than 48 hours **

Draft News

Houston Rockets acquire Pick #18 from Minnesota in exchange for Chase Budinger and the draft rights to Lior Eliyahu.

Kings exploring possible trades for Tyreke Evans.

Lots of chatter about the Cavs trading up to #2 with different pick scenarios thrown around, but nothing has happened yet.

Givony / DraftExpress

4. Cleveland Cavaliers

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist: SF: 18, 6-7, 233, Kentucky, Fresh.

The Cavs have virtually nothing on the wing going into next season and would be very happy to see Kyrie Irving's former high school teammate Michael Kidd-Gilchrist available right here. Kidd-Gilchrist could fill an immediate hole, bringing intensity and toughness that will immediately improve Cleveland's shaky perimeter defense. He's one of the most competitive players in this draft. Still very much a work in progress offensively, he would form a formidable transition duo with Irving and hyper-athletic Tristan Thompson.

Some reports indicate that Harrison Barnes could be the pick here, but according to our sources that is not the case.

24. Cleveland Cavaliers (via LA Lakers)

Andrew Nicholson: PF/C, 22, 6-9, 234, St. Bonaventure, Senior

The Cavs seemingly need everything except a starting point guard at this stage, and adding some size to the frontcourt wouldn't be a bad idea. Nicholson is big enough to operate alongside Tristan Thompson and a good enough shooter to play with Anderson Varejao.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

Detroit has traded Ben Gordon and a protected future first-round pick to Charlotte for Corey Maggette, league sources tell Y! Sports.

For Detroit, deal to ship out Gordon saves them nearly $15 million on the final two years of his contract. Maggette has an expiring deal.

The deal sends Detroit's 2013 first-round pick to Charlotte with lottery protection, sources tell Y!

According to source, the pick is lottery protected next year, top 8 in 2014, No. 1 protected in 2015 and unprotected in 2016.

Last edited:

Chad Ford

The Bobcats may not be done dealing. Sources say the team is looking at several other trade options, including trading the No. 2 pick in Thursday night's draft.

The Bobcats are looking to add multiple assets. The team has spoken with several teams, but their talks with the Cleveland Cavaliers have been the most substantive. The Cavs have the Nos. 4, 24, 33 and 34 picks in the draft. If Cleveland is willing to offer both No. 4 and No. 24, it might be able to get a deal done by draft night.

If the Bobcats keep the No. 2 pick, the addition of Gordon may end talk that they'll take Florida's Bradley Beal at No. 2. Beal, like Gordon, is an undersized sharpshooter. Kansas' Thomas Robinson and Kentucky's Michael Kidd-Gilchrist are also in the mix for the Bobcats at No. 2.

Terrence Ross in Cleveland for last minute workout tomorrow. He's not in mix at 4. He's not on board at 24. Interesting. He is a good fit.

He won't go No. 4. But he also won't be the board when Cleveland picks again, at 24. If the Cavs can't get to 2, are they thinking about moving down a few spots?

Wizards want to make Bobcats nervous that if they trade 2 to Clev for 4 & 24, TRob, the guy the Cats covet, might not be there.

Cleveland #4pick: MKG. Analysis: We'll be going back and forth on this one right up until the draft. If the Cavs don't move up to No. 2 to take Beal, this is between Barnes and Kidd-Gilchrist. Both camps are confident their guy is the guy in Cleveland. But after hearing on Monday that Barnes was, in fact, the pick, it looks like the pendulum has swung back in MKG's direction. Both guys desperately don't want to go to Sacramento. If I'm Chris Grant, I make them go one-on-one, Kwame Brown-Tyson Chandler style, on Thursday morning.

Sam Amick

As @chadfordinsider just tweeted, I'd been told earlier this evening that Washington SG Terrence Ross has a private workout in Cleveland tomorrow. Cavs - who have fourth and 24th pick - considering moving both up and down. Ross won't be there at 24.

Ross could go at 4 obviously, but Cavs know they could do a deal to move back and find more assets.​

Sam The Bullshit Whisperer

Bobcats' trade of Ben Gordon makes it less likely they draft Bradley Beal, sources say. And may make them more willing to deal with Cavs, and even take a second-round pick (Nos. 33 or 34) in a swap of 2 and 4, rather than insist on No. 24.​

Probballdraft

According to source the Cavaliers are locked in on Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. Not to say CLE wouldn't draft Brad Beal but prefer MKG to Barnes.

Alex Kennedy

Teams are inquiring about Anderson Varejao, but the Cleveland Cavaliers haven't been impressed with any of the offers they've received.​

Tom Withers

As of last evening, #Cavaliers had not spoken to the #Bobcats in days about any potential deals.

Cavaliers don't feel they have to move up to land a player they want/need. There will be a choice group to pick from if they stay at No. 4.

Givony

I'm told that as many as nine 1st round prospects have medical red-flags that could impact their standing. Could be a rough night for some. :doh:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-12: "Max Strus Juice"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."