• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

A closer look at Harrison Barnes

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
No, I refuse to believe the Cavs would take Barnes over MKG. Refuse to believe it. Absolutely will not believe that will happen.

No, I refuse to believe the Cavs would take Barnes over MKG. Refuse to believe it. Absolutely will not believe that will happen.

If they're both there we're going MKG. If not...let's not think about that.

I don't know why more prognosticators don't talk about Harrison Barnes to the Wizards. He cancelled with the Kings directly after his Washington workout. Barnes' reps reportedly want to angle him toward a bigger market. And he provides many of the same things the Wizards need from Beal but with much more size.

Because the Wizards are focused on Beal then MKG. Barnes is not going there.

Because the Wizards are focused on Beal then MKG. Barnes is not going there.

Yeah it would be odd to take Barnes when you just traded for Ariza. Add in that they drafted Vesely last year who is a tweener and SF is not something I see them trying to shore up.

2012 NBA draft -- Harrison Barnes latest to work out for Charlotte Bobcats - ESPN

Barnes had a smooth workout with the Bobcats, but there was one thing he wasn't able to accomplish.

He wanted to shoot with owner Michael Jordan, who also played his college ball at North Carolina and is the inspiration for Barnes' middle name, Jordan.

"I was going to ask him for a shooting contest, but he dipped out a little early," Barnes said. "But it was fun to play in front of him."

Barnes, a 6-foot-8 small forward, averaged 17.1 points and 5.2 rebounds in 38 games as a sophomore last season.

The Bobcats are coming off a 7-59 season, the worst winning percentage in NBA history, so clearly there are multiple holes to fill. They also worked out Florida's Bradley Beal and Kentucky's Michael Kidd-Gilchrist on Tuesday.

Barnes said he didn't get much feedback from Jordan, president of basketball operationsRod Higgins, general manager Rich Cho or Dunlap, who was hired this week and guided Thursday's workouts in his first day on the job.

"It would be nice to be close to where I played college basketball, but ultimately that's not my decision," Barnes said. "Obviously, they're looking to improve in every position, so it's just a matter of what they feel they need the most, whether it's a perimeter player or a big."

The Bobcats have veteran Corey Maggette, their second-leading scorer, returning at small forward, but he was limited to 32 games last season because of a variety of injuries.

Barnes was a first-team All-ACC pick last season and a second-team All-America. He has impressed NBA scouts with his prototypical size on the wing, his smooth stroke with a high release point, and his maturity.

"He played to his strengths," Dunlap said. "He shoots the ball well. He's a very good athlete and he's got a good attitude."

The biggest question about Barnes is his ability to put the ball on the floor and create. Barnes said he was hoping to prove he is capable of being more than just a shooter.

"I think the biggest thing is I'm just trying to improve my all-around game, especially putting it on the floor," he said. "That's my biggest knock. I'm definitely trying to show teams I've been working on that, putting it on the floor and get to the basket and also being able to get the ball to guys, which I was able to demonstrate today. I feel I have the ability to go to the basket, finish, below the rim, above the rim, however you want it."
Barnes also has worked out for Toronto, Cleveland and Washington.

"There's a lot of teams that are interested, anywhere from two through eight, two through 10," Barnes said. "I mean, it's all a possibility."

Grant has an elite poker face, that's all I know right now.

Chad Ford now with Barnes going to us at #4. Uh oh.

barnes is a solid pick for cleveland at 4.. he can shoot and can play defense..

I don't know why more prognosticators don't talk about Harrison Barnes to the Wizards. He cancelled with the Kings directly after his Washington workout. Barnes' reps reportedly want to angle him toward a bigger market. And he provides many of the same things the Wizards need from Beal but with much more size.

This is a good observation; some are wondering about Barnes and Washington. See this Wizards' blog, for instance:

Truth About It » Wizards 2012 Draft Plan B Might Rest In Michael Jordan’s Hands

The assumption is Beal is the target if he is there, but if not, Barnes is felt to be just as likely as, and maybe a better fit than, MKG. Just fan speculation, not a rumor or anything.

barnes is a solid pick for cleveland at 4.. he can shoot and can play defense..

42 FG%
34 3P%
72 FT%

These whopping %'s came while playing with 2 big men that will be drafted top 15 and the best PG in the nation last season..... All while having a size advantage against mostly everyone he played against.

Not impressed.

Beal shot 2% higher from the field (same from 3), and 5% better from the line all while being a freshman playing against guys bigger than him (played SF most of the year) and having no legit NBA talent surrounding him as well as two ball-hogging chuckers playing PG and SG.

Yeah it would be odd to take Barnes when you just traded for Ariza. Add in that they drafted Vesely last year who is a tweener and SF is not something I see them trying to shore up.

Barnes is arguably a better fit than MKG with Ariza there since Barnes at least does provide them with a better shooter. Someone has said that Ariza can play SG. This is of course technically true (it's presumably the position he would have played for Cleveland when the Cavs tried to sign him back in 2009), but per 82games, he played most of his minutes last year at SF, and played much better there than at SG.

That said, the Washington trade for Ariza/Okafor signals, at least for me, that the Wizards really want to win now. This view has been echoed recently by the Wash Post:

Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza do not help the Wizards’ long-term plans - The Washington Post

Ernie Grunfeld seems finally to be getting some pressure, and he clearly wants to "win" now. It's not outside the realm of possibility that if Charlotte does decide to go with Beal at 2, Washington will go with Barnes at 3.

42 FG%
34 3P%
72 FT%

These whopping %'s came while playing with 2 big men that will be drafted top 15 and the best PG in the nation last season..... All while having a size advantage against mostly everyone he played against.

Not impressed.

Beal shot 2% higher from the field (same from 3), and 5% better from the line all while being a freshman playing against guys bigger than him (played SF most of the year) and having no legit NBA talent surrounding him as well as two ball-hogging chuckers playing PG and SG.

And these incremental differences mean what come October when both of these guys are in the NBA?

Pretty much nothing.

It's a universal opinion that Barnes and Beal are pretty much both shooters who are at the top of this class. The incremental differences in their shooting percentages in college is really what's separating them talent wise?

Eh, not sure I buy that.

And these incremental differences mean what come October when both of these guys are in the NBA?

Pretty much nothing.

It's a universal opinion that Barnes and Beal are pretty much both shooters who are at the top of this class. The incremental differences in their shooting percentages in college is really what's separating them talent wise?

Eh, not sure I buy that.

Yeah, both guys are good. Hopefully the Cavs get 1 of them if they go the "scorer" route.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."