• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Alonzo Gee: Mr. April!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Re: Cavs make qualifying offer to Alonzo Gee (now RFA)

With the way the team is constructed this year, alonzo will have a better chance to thrive with another creator in the fold (waiters)

I'm afraid we're all gonna be pissed off when we see the contract we have to match. All it takes is one stupid GM....

If it's too high, don't match it.

I hope to see Alonzo wearing Wine and Gold this coming season. If Alonzo goes to another team and we don't sign anyone to replace him at the 3, it sure will be hard seeing all of those minutes going to Omri Casspi.:banghead:

They will match any offer that isn't ridiculous. He improved immensely and showed he is capable of starting. On a serious contender he's probably a 6th man, but that's okay. He's a fan favorite and they won't just let him go.

2k is gonna be AWESOME! Irving, Waiters, Azubuike, Gee, and Casspi (draining 3's online all day)

I already created Dion Waiters (to the best of my ability), drafted Zeller, and signed Azibuke. My association is pretty fun now :chuckles:

I'm glad they value Gee. I'm fully expecting him to come back even more improved. He'll be a good starter to plug our hole at SF this year and maybe he'll actually be worthy of the position in the future seasons (I'm not expecting much more than a solid 6th man though.)

Our team is so young! Let's hope Byron can nourish them and help them grow into contenders.......

I fully expect the Cavs to resign Gee. However, if they don't view him as a long term starter, it would be unwise to retain him for a large amount of money. If the Cavs match an offer for more than 4.5 million they are conveying that they view Gee as a starting SF. I'm not convinced that he is.

the cavs shouldnt wait to match an offer, get something worked out with him. I'm not sure about the new CBA rules, but it would seem the cavs can make a nice offer by front loading the deal. Maybe give him 6M this year because they have space, bu then make the subsequent years go downward. Not sure if its legal, but they could like 6M - 3M - 3M, something like that would be good for both sides.

the cavs shouldnt wait to match an offer, get something worked out with him. I'm not sure about the new CBA rules, but it would seem the cavs can make a nice offer by front loading the deal. Maybe give him 6M this year because they have space, bu then make the subsequent years go downward. Not sure if its legal, but they could like 6M - 3M - 3M, something like that would be good for both sides.

This would be brilliant if it's allowed (anyone know? wuck?) This allows us to have more cap room when Kyrie/TT/Waiters/etc. contracts are ready to be renewed. I really want to keep him because I feel he can continue his development on the offensive end. If he adds a fairly consistent pull up J, works on ball handling, and continues his improvement from beyond the arc, he could actually be a decent scoring option in a few years. His defense alone is enough to keep him as a bench player.

I fully expect the Cavs to resign Gee. However, if they don't view him as a long term starter, it would be unwise to retain him for a large amount of money. If the Cavs match an offer for more than 4.5 million they are conveying that they view Gee as a starting SF. I'm not convinced that he is.

If they think he can be the energy 6th man off the bench, play starters minutes, and help defend the other team's best player -- then he's worth the money.

If they think he can be the energy 6th man off the bench, play starters minutes, and help defend the other team's best player -- then he's worth the money.

Gee is currently the starter at SF. If he takes another jump, similar to the one that he did last offseason, then he could become a core part of this team going forward.
Alonzo isn't going anywhere. The only way that changes is if the Cavaliers were to acquire someone they deemed to be an upgrade, like Nic Batum, for instance. With the money being discussed, I don't see that happening though.

Gee is currently the starter at SF. If he takes another jump, similar to the one that he did last offseason, then he could become a core part of this team going forward.
Alonzo isn't going anywhere. The only way that changes is if the Cavaliers were to acquire someone they deemed to be an upgrade, like Nic Batum, for instance. With the money being discussed, I don't see that happening though.

I don't see any reason why Batum would change our plans with Gee. If we do sign Batum, that frees Gee to be the 6th man, the go-to man on our second unit, and add depth to our weakest position. If we don't sign Batum then Gee is the starter.

Either way, Gee will be worth the money in my opinion.

I don't see any reason why Batum would change our plans with Gee. If we do sign Batum, that frees Gee to be the 6th man, the go-to man on our second unit, and add depth to our weakest position. If we don't sign Batum then Gee is the starter.

Either way, Gee will be worth the money in my opinion.

I think the Cavaliers will match most any reasonable offer for Gee...unless they get an upgrade at the SF spot. That doesn't mean they wouldn't have interest in bringing him back, but they would be less likely to match an aggressive offer for him.

At this point in their development, the Cavaliers want to maintain as much cap flexibility as possible and I doubt they would make two big signings at the same position (SF) in the same offseason.

I think the Cavaliers will match most any reasonable offer for Gee...unless they get an upgrade at the SF spot. That doesn't mean they wouldn't have interest in bringing him back, but they would be less likely to match an aggressive offer for him.

At this point in their development, the Cavaliers want to maintain as much cap flexibility as possible and I doubt they would make two big signings at the same position (SF) in the same offseason.

Disagree.

Gee will be signed regardless. No one is going to offer stupid money to a player with half of a good season under his belt. Gee should get a nice offer or two, but nothing that the Cavs won't match.

If we are able to find another SF or stretch 4, then that will give us even more depth. But none of that will change what we do with Gee.

The way I see it the Cavs should negotiate a deal with Gee now on their terms. They got a good deal with Andy because they took care of him on the first day of free agency a few years ago before he had a chance to talk to other teams. Don't let the market dictate the price or the structure of the deal. Too many idiot GM's like Kahn in Minnesota and too many teams with money to burn this offseason.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."