• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Jon Leuer (assigned to D-League again, 1/3)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

wuck

Hustling on the inside
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
From a few outlets:

Cavs will sign Jon Leuer, waived earlier this week by Houston.

Other teams (including the T-Wolves) put in a waiver claim but the Cavs priority (worse record) nabbed him first.

----

Leuer - 2011 2nd-round draft pick of the Bucks, traded to Houston during the off-season.

6' 10", 230lb, PF, 23 years old, on the 2nd year of a cheap 2-year contract. Averaged 4.7 points in 46 games in 2011.

Last edited:
re: Cavs Sign Jon Leuer (claimed off waivers)

:shifty: ....... :headbang:

confirmed Jerry Zgoda ‏@JerryZgoda

Wolves put in a waiver claim for Jon Leuer but Cleveland got him first

First look at your new Cavalier!
[video=youtube;bKC2JYQf5_0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKC2JYQf5_0[/video]

Last edited:

Very nice under-the-radar move.

Got a stretch four for 754k.

I almost topped the Wuckbot.

Better luck next time?

not a bad signing (claiming?) at all but the front court sure is getting crowded...

I like this move. I think he can be a decent piece off the bench.

Re: Cavs Sign Jon Leuer (claimed off waivers)

confirmed Jerry Zgoda ‏@JerryZgoda

Wolves put in a waiver claim for Jon Leuer but Cleveland got him first

First look at your new Cavalier!
[video=youtube;bKC2JYQf5_0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKC2JYQf5_0[/video]
Not the song I was expecting in a Jon Leuer highlight mix.

I'll take him in the early battle over Luke Harangody for the Great White Hope...

not a bad signing (claiming?) at all but the front court sure is getting crowded...

Yeah, I wish Leuer played SF, but his contract is so cheap that the Cavs can afford the risk and let them fight it out in training camp.

I hope that won't prevent the Cavs from putting in other waiver claims...

Last edited:

Move over Gody. Another prime FA is coming to Cleveland.

Last edited:

This is a good pickup, IMHO. He's the guy I wanted the Cavs to get with the #32 pick in the 2011 draft, mainly because he did so well in the Hollinger draft rater. He had him as the 14th best prospect in the draft.

I was pretty disappointed by the #32 pick in the 2011 draft. I figured that if the Cavs didn't take Valanciunas, they would take Leonard and Leuer. Instead it was Tristan and a trade. Now 13 months later, that trade is looking like a win. The Cavs got Leuer anyway and that trade will probably give them two high second round picks in the next two years. Sometimes this stuff just works out. Let's hope Tristan ends up also being a winning move.

I don't think this is the end of Harangody. Probably just means he plays at the 3 more.

If I'm not mistaken, the Cavs will be able to make him a restricted free agent next year if they keep him.

John Hollinger said:
+ Stretch 4 with good outside shot. Very tall for position. Not physical.
+ Smart player with good handle for size. Not a dynamic athlete.
+ May struggle to guard NBA 4s. Suspect lateral mobility and needs strength.

Leuer was a nice value pick at No. 40 because of his potential as a floor-spacing big man who makes 3s. Additionally, his college stats are better than they look -- Wisconsin played at a near-comatose pace, which greatly watered down its players' stats. Leuer is a much better rebounder than his numbers suggest, although as an outside shooter his percentages are more good than great.

Nonetheless, the key for him will be at the other end. Leuer has to show he can competently defend against NBA power forwards. Otherwise, he's Brad Lohaus. Leuer has the length to do it, but it's not clear if he has the strength or lateral quickness.

I don't see the Cavs picking up E'twan Moore. They already have better small guards.

Last edited:

This is the type of signings a rebuilding team should make. Cheap young kids who can become nice role players. No Batum or Ilyasova to big contracts.

Leuer won't take us to the 8th or 9th seed, but may later become a nice player.

Nicely done Cavs FO.

This makes me want a trade for a certain center even more. Leuer would look quite nice next to said center...

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."