• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Four Team Deal Sends Howard to Lakers

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Re: Three-Way ORL/LAL/Cavs Rumor

You accumulate assets (expirings, cap space, picks) in order to spend them. But to spend, you need a buyer. Im encouraged that Grant seems willng to part with all the accummulated assets for one stud player to match with KI, as opposed to just making lateral moves. At least we confirm that Grant's intention is not to accumulate assets ad infinitum....it is to strike/spend when the opportunity to acquire a Star presents itself. If the present manuvering for AB does not work out, better upgrade the servicers come the mid-season trade deadline.

i was thinking the same thing the other day...

the cavs need to weigh the possibility of bynum leaving extra cash on the table when his contract is up next year. if he stays in LA, they give him the max and he stays with the lakers. the question is, would he take a max from the rockets, knowing that they are going to be at best a perennial 8 seed during his tenure there or forego the extra year and extra cash to go to a team that actually has a shot at being a winner. houston's core group would consist of $30 million tied up in jeremy lin, bynum, and omar asik.

Let's face it. We aren't going to be a top 4 seed with Bynum added. But with rookies next year, we make still not make the playoffs. So is a 6th seed better than no playoffs and a chance of missing out big in the draft? In my opinion yes. Bynum is 24 and has been in the league for about 6 years. He's an immature veteran. If he and TT start, Zellr is off the bench but if Zeller starts, we have 2 7' footers.

Let's face it. We aren't going to be a top 4 seed with Bynum added. But with rookies next year, we make still not make the playoffs. So is a 6th seed better than no playoffs and a chance of missing out big in the draft? In my opinion yes. Bynum is 24 and has been in the league for about 6 years. He's an immature veteran. If he and TT start, Zellr is off the bench but if Zeller starts, we have 2 7' footers.

We're in an awfully weak division with rose out in Chicago.

Sam The Bullshit Whisperer
Source familiar with Lakers-Cavs-Magic talks says potential trade not dead, but in holding pattern. Teams seem to be weighing options, with Magic, in particular, seeing what else might be out there.

Orlando is not in a good situation.
Howard can basically force his way to a certain team, as teams are not going to give up the type of compensation that Orlando wants without knowing that Howard will re-sign. For instance, while Houston has the assets to trade for Howard, how can they realistically surrender a bevy of young talent and draft picks, while also taking on bad contracts from Orlando, without knowing that Howard would re-sign?? Furthermore, if the Rockets are hoping to convince Howard to re-sign, as some have speculated, forming Orlando-west, in an even tougher conference, probably isn't the way to do it. :dunno:
Rob Henigan & the Magic can play the waiting game all they want, but the situation isn't going to change. Howard will either wind up with the Lakers this summer or with Brooklyn at the trade deadline...that much is clear. There's a chance the Cavaliers could be involved, but I wouldn't bet on it. We'll need sufficient sweetners in order to play the role of 'facillitator' and Orlando doesn't seem to want to compensate us accordingly. What I think we'll see eventually is a 3-way deal involving Howard to LA, Bynum to Houston, and draft picks & young talent to Orlando.

Last edited:

Still a good team with a good record (though they lost watson, got teague)

Bucks are better

Pacers will be better

We're better than toronto but they got better.

So 2 playoff teams and 1 that just missed? Not that easy of a division.

ive been following this thread for some time now.. just want to know if ever we dont get bynum via trade this year, would it be possible to offer him a max contract next year?

ive been following this thread for some time now.. just want to know if ever we dont get bynum via trade this year, would it be possible to offer him a max contract next year?

Sure, as long as he doesn't sign an extension with the Lakers or the team to which he is traded, which appears very unlikely, at this point.

Is including Tyler Zeller the hold up? If I was ORL, I'm guessing that he's the best young player he can get out of a Cavs/Magic/Lakers scenario. I wonder if this thing will get done some time around August 6th.

My guess is the main holdup at this point is waiting out the Asik offer sheet situation. Once that's resolved Orlando will be able to see what Houston's real final offer is. After that, they will likely need to wait until 8/5 or 8/6 when some rookies can be traded for the thing to be done. I give it another two weeks. (And usually when I write something like that whatever I'm writing about happens in about two hours!)

Still a good team with a good record (though they lost watson, got teague)

Bucks are better

Pacers will be better

We're better than toronto but they got better.

So 2 playoff teams and 1 that just missed? Not that easy of a division.

Toronto's not in our division.....

Terrible outlook. Look at OKC. They went low seed, guys developed then kept moving up. Bynum would (if healthy) mean we have the best youn PG in the league (and IMHO) the BEST C in the League. And yes that makes us better than a lot of teams even if we start rookies. I'd rather see that group make a run. Then make a serious run as we fill in holes a la OKC.

If you want to root for a team that gets the 1st pick every year ask Donald Sterling to start another team (or wait til CP3 and Co leave).

I think we'll see a deal along these lines:

To LA Lakers
Dwight Howard
Quentin Richardson

To Houston
Andrew Bynum
Josh McRoberts
Jason Richardson
Chris Duhon

To Orlando
Kevin Martin
Shaun Livingston
Marcus Morris
Royce White
Jeremy Lamb
2 1st round picks (1 from HOU, 1 from LA)

Last edited:

Don't know if this has been said...but Dwight reportedly will not under any circumstances sign an extension because he can sign in free agency for a longer (5 year contract opposed to a 3 year) and more lucrative deal.

Same thing with Bynum. He won't sign an extension anywhere either. We could take the gamble and get him in the trade, but we would be at his mercy because he would enter free agency. If we get him, he could sign for 5 years to stay with the Cavs or sign for 4 years to another team. Likewise even if Bynum goes to Houston we have a chance in free agency and offer him a 4 year deal.

I got that info from this article btw...

Terry Pluto's Talkin' about Dion Waiters, Andrew Bynum, the Browns, Tribe and more | cleveland.com
Terry Pluto's Talkin' about Dion Waiters, Andrew Bynum, the Browns, Tribe and more
Published: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 10:11 PM Updated: Sunday, July 22, 2012, 1:47 PM
Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer
Follow

ABOUT THE CAVALIERS:

"1. There are at least 20 million reasons, and there could be more than 40 million reasons why Dwight Howard and Andrew Bynum won't sign contract extensions to help complete a trade. That's right, 40 million, as in about $40 million. Or at least $20 million, as in one year's salary.

2. Howard and Bynum are under contract through the 2012-13 season. If they are traded and sign an extension now, it can be for no longer than THREE years.

3. That's why Howard's agent has said his client has no interest in signing an extension now. He'll wait for free agency. The new labor agreement changed the rules on players signing extensions before free agency. It made it wiser for players to wait to become free agents because they can sign longer, more lucrative deals.

4. Bynum is expected to follow the same path as Howard. Why sign a three-year deal in the $60 million range when he can wait a year, and sign for more than $100 million over five seasons, depending on his decision of where to play.

5. If Bynum is traded to the Cavs, and becomes a free agent in 2013, he can sign with them for FIVE YEARS.

6. If Bynum is traded to the Cavs, becomes a free agent and wants to sign with another team...it can be for FOUR YEARS.

7. This is why every proposed deal for Howard has been a mess. He won't commit to a contract now because he can get so much more later. Yes, Howard can be traded to the Lakers. He can even say he really wants to sign with the Lakers -- but not until he's a free agent. But a lot of things can change in a year. Cavs fans know all about verbal agreements/promises/hints or whatever from when Carlos Boozer bolted Cleveland.

8. The Cavs can trade for Bynum, wait a year and hope he signs with them for five years in 2013. But there are no promises, as he could go elsewhere even if it's only for four years.

9. Do the Cavs want Bynum? Of course. He's 24, a legitimate 7-foot center who averaged 18.7 points and 11.8 rebounds for the Lakers last season. There are issues with Bynum. He has a cranky knee. He seems to float in some games. He has missed 83 games over the past four seasons because of injuries. But, yes, they want him. So do most NBA teams.

10. This from ESPN: "The longest Howard could sign an extension, according to ESPN Insider's Larry Coon, would be two years if he signed with Orlando . . . or it can be three years if he signed after being traded. If he waits until his current deal expires, Howard would be eligible to sign a new five-year deal for as much as $116.9 million."

11. The same basic math applies to Bynum. So if the Cavs deal for Bynum, they have to view him as a one-year rental and hope to convince him to sign with them in summer 2013.

12. It makes no sense for the Cavs to give up much in the way of draft picks and young players. That's what Orlando would want as part of a three-team deal sending Howard to the Lakers. If Orlando and the Lakers want to assemble a blockbuster trade and the Cavs can take on some veterans and add some drafts, they are interested.

13. The Lakers have no interest in trading Bynum anywhere unless they can get Howard as part of the deal. The Lakers are willing to take a chance on Howard for the last year of his contract, figuring he'll want to stay in L.A. and chase titles with Kobe Bryant. And they could be right. But Bynum could end up anywhere, and he wants the freedom to choose. That's why it's very doubtful he will end up in Cleveland."

This would be the first actual explanation to why Dwight isn't committing to signing an extension when/if he's traded.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."