• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

MLB - Trade Rumors and Speculation

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Billy Beane has always said that saves are the most overrated statistic for pitchers, along with win totals. If the Indians have decided to make a move to be a better ballclub next year, I think Perez is the guy you move. He is the walking embodiment of a "sell high."
I agree with trading Perez, but I don't think that type of return is realistic. I'd love to get Belt though.

Billy Beane has always said that saves are the most overrated statistic for pitchers, along with win totals. If the Indians have decided to make a move to be a better ballclub next year, I think Perez is the guy you move. He is the walking embodiment of a "sell high."

Agreed. Plus bullpens are typically the most fluid areas in baseball than any other area. One year they are up the next for no apparent reason they are down. Same could be said for cp next year. Sell high, especially with some of his comments I can't really see him signing an extension with us.

Sharts, I didn't see that Pablo Sandoval tweaked his hammy last night. This article talks a bit about Belt's strained relationship with the fans:

http://blog.sfgate.com/giants/2012/07/24/update-on-pablo-sandoval-injury-plus-brandon-belts-blog/

Pablo Sandoval will undergo an MRI exam on his left hamstring on Wednesday to gauge the extent of his strain. That in turn will tell the Giants if they need to place him on the disabled list. We know hamstrings can be tricky. Look at how much time Matt Kemp of the Dodgers lost, but there is one positive sign for Sandoval. Bochy said the strain seems to be high up the hammie, which is better than a strain where the hamstring meets the knee.

Bochy said Sandoval will be “down a few days.” I’d be surprised if we saw him the rest of the week, including this weekend’s series against the Dodgers. I’m sure the Giants will be super-careful with an injury to one of their most important hitters.

So, for the jillionth time, the spotlight again turns to Brandon Belt, who was supposed to spend a second game on the bench tonight as part of a mental break before he had to replace Sandoval in the third. Belt had a great at-bat to start the ninth. After falling 0-2 to Luke Gregerson, he worked a walk and later scored the winning run on Brandon Crawford’s single.

Belt will not start Wednesday. Eli Whiteside is going to catch Tim Lincecum, with Buster Posey at first base. But unless the Giants DL Sandoval, bring up Brett Pill and make him the everyday first baseman (doubtful), Belt is going to get another shot to prove what he wrote in a blog today, which you can read here.

The headline reads, “Clearing up some misconceptions,” and the blog starts with, “I’m going to get right to the point. One, I have not lost my confidence. Two, I have no trouble with Bruce Bochy sitting me while I’m struggling.”

Belt felt he needed to respond in his own words to the notion that he lost his confidence in the wake of his postgame interview Sunday, in which he said his struggles at the plate have been “mental.”

Belt could clear up one misconception by letting us know who said he questioned Bochy’s decision to bench him. I don’t recall hearing anybody say that.

But I understand why he did the blog. Everyone, including the press, has an opinion on what’s wrong with Belt and, more significant, what he’s feeling. The biggest misconception he tried to clear up was that he has bad body language. Belt wrote that he always walks with his shoulders slumped and did during his 11-game hit streak. That’s just how he stands and ambles. (The harsh comments that really seemed to get his goat came in one blog written by a backup beat writer.)

Fair enough. I think it’s great when a player can speak for himself and that the Giants, through their website, give them that forum.

I’ve seen a lot of comments suggesting we’re being too hard on Belt, a newbie, but that’s comes with being a highly touted prospect. The Giants are two seasons removed from a World Series title and they’re trying to win another one. He plays a key position. There’s no place to hide.

I’m not sociologist, but I think I’m starting to understand why there is a cadre of fans who believe Belt is much better than he has looked.

Part of it is Belt’s graciousness and homespun personality. But also, it’s been so long since the Giants have developed a true power hitter — since Matt Williams, maybe — that the fans are heavily invested in Belt’s success. They don’t want to believe he’s another Lance Niekro or Todd Linden.

Believe me, Belt has a long way to go before anyone can say that. He’s had a grand total of 1,230 professional at-bats. That’s nothing.

I like the kid and, as I said on “Chronicle Live” today, I think he’s going to be OK. But he’s going to have to learn to deal with the expectations that folks have for him.

And I say this partly in jest, he’s also going to have to learn to be a better reporter.

In the blog, Belt excoriates himself for unburdening himself to us in the heat of the moment, “right after” Sunday’s game.

Truth be told, after our postgame session with Bochy we walked into the clubhouse and saw a very downcast Belt sitting at his locker staring into the ground. We did not go to Belt right away, choosing to give him some time and space. In fact, we did not talk to Belt until about an hour after the game, after he had showered and dressed. He was one of the last three guys in the clubhouse, and we joked about making him miss the bus to the airport.

If the Tribe trades Perez for an MLB-ready hitter or two, would you consider it selling? It would make sense both short- and long-term if you think about it.

Don't get me wrong, Perez/Pestano are the MVPs of this team so far - but there are quite a few relievers in the upper levels of the system / already on the MLB roster that have potential - and ZERO bats that do.

If the Tribe trades Perez for an MLB-ready hitter or two, would you consider it selling? It would make sense both short- and long-term if you think about it.

Don't get me wrong, Perez/Pestano are the MVPs of this team so far - but there are quite a few relievers in the upper levels of the system / already on the MLB roster that have potential - and ZERO bats that do.

I wouldn't consider it selling. Perez is a quality pitcher, no doubt but I really don't think his value is ever going to be any higher.

With Pestano ready to take over closing duties and the collection of bullpen arms Cleveland has, if the FO could get a major league ready bat (or two), I think you pull the trigger.

Long term, Cleveland's deficiencies seem to be on offense, not on defense. They really need a marquee offensive player moving forward. If you can potentially get that for Perez, I think you do it.

If the ownership isn't committed to trying to win this season, in a wide open division, then you might as well start planning for next year (for the 100th time).

Holy shit. I'd do that for the right package.

CBS Sports' Jon Heyman was told by a Twins source Thursday that Josh Willingham will not be traded.

"What are we, someone's farm club?" asked the source. Willingham has been extremely productive this year and is making just $7 million in each of the next two seasons. The Twins have no real motivation to move him

LOL.

As for Shields...He has been mediocre this year relative to last year (so it seems, I have no numbers to look at right now)..BUT it all depends on the players to give up in the deal.
I am all for trading Perez though..

^ This. People forget that Perez was dangerously close to losing his job to Pestano to start the year but an implosion can happen at any time. If we can get Belt + extra, I do it without hesitation. We already have a potential replacement in Pestano, Perez is making $4.5M this year and that figure is sure to jump in arbitration. Seems like a good move for us both now and in the future. We need another bat much more than we need 2 studs at the back of the bullpen.

James Shields? Sign me up.

But man, we need some fucking hitters.

Sharts, I didn't see that Pablo Sandoval tweaked his hammy last night. This article talks a bit about Belt's strained relationship with the fans:

Update on Pablo Sandoval injury, plus Brandon Belt’s blog | San Francisco Giants: The Splash | an SFGate.com blog

Belt is the dictionary definition of: "needs a change of scenery". Bochy has screwed with him ever since I can remember and was still giving Aubrey Huff ABs over him as Huff was hitting a buck fifty. He's been in a mental funk all year and it has Bochy written all over it. What he needs is a team that can give him an everyday job and has confidence in him. I'd love to see him with us even if he is another lefty.

^ This. People forget that Perez was dangerously close to losing his job to Pestano to start the year but an implosion can happen at any time. If we can get Belt + extra, I do it without hesitation. We already have a potential replacement in Pestano, Perez is making $4.5M this year and that figure is sure to jump in arbitration. Seems like a good move for us both now and in the future. We need another bat much more than we need 2 studs at the back of the bullpen.

Giants fans think they need another big bat as well... but the fan base is split on Belt. I think it's in the Giants best interest to lock up a consistent bullpen with a "win now" approach. That was the secret to winning it all in 2010. Their bullpen ain't what it used to be without Wilson.

No matter what, I see the Tribe and Giants as quality trade partners.

But man, we need some fucking hitters.

It's really debatable what we need right now. The pitching has been hit or miss, but the offense has been as well. If the starting pitching continues to give up these massive amounts of runs and makes you feel like we're out of it in the 1st inning, then it doesn't matter who we have hitting. However, when the pitching has been good, the offense has sucked.

Either way, I will be happy with whatever we do, even if that includes selling. I still love this team, and I will still and forever love Indians baseball.

Eww. James Shields is overrated as hell. Aside from last year, his ERAs have been: 4.84, 3.85, 3.56, 4.14, 5.18, 4.39. Now don't get me wrong, I'd take that over some of the slop we're putting out there now *here's lookin' at you Derek Lowe* but I wouldn't give up the farm to get him. At least his contract is reasonable though.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."