• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2012-2013 Indians Red Hot Offseason Thread (Bourn signed post 1940)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pyro

Go Cleveland!
Reaction score
So, first and foremost, I would like to thank everyone, whether you liked me or hated me, I liked you or hated you, on another fantastic season here at RCF. We had our ups and downs, fun times and bad times. But we made it. The season is over, and now we can focus on the business at hand.

1.) Who is our next manager? Sandy Alomar Jr.? Terry Francona? Some dark-horse candidate?
2.) What will we do with Travis Hafner? 1 more year on the cheap? Throw him out?
3.) There is also the question of Choo. Do we trade him in the offseason, before the trading deadline? Keep him in hopes he stays?
4.) All the other holes. 1st base. Pitching. Etc.

--------------------------------------
October Starts It All For The Tribe Moves:
Indians hire Terry Francona to be their new manager. The deal is for 4 years. (10/6/12)

November Has A Lot Of Tribe Moves:
Indians trade RHP Esmil Rogers to the Toronto Blue Jays in exchange for SS Mike Aviles and 3B Yan Gomes. (11/3/12)
-Mike Aviles agreed to a 2 year contract worth $6M with the Tribe, avoiding arbitration.
-Yan Gomes' contract status is currently unknown.

Indians sign 3B Luis Hernandez to a Minor League deal. (11/5/12)

Indians sign RHP Hector Rondon to a Minor League deal. (11/8/12)

Indians LHP Nick Hagadone is activated from the Restricted list. (11/13/12)

Indians sign RF Matt Carson and CF Cedric Hunter to Minor League deals. (11/19/12)

Indians send 1B Matt LaPorta and OF Brent Lillibridge to the Columbus Clippers. They also designate RHP Fabio Martinez for assignment. (11/20/12)

Indians sign 2B Nate Spears to a Minor League deal. (11/16/12)

Indians sign RHP Jose Flores to a Minor League deaul. (11/17/12)

Indians send Fabio Martinez to the Columbus Clippers. Brent Lillibridge elects for free agency. (11/26/12)
-Brent Lillibridge is now a member of the Chicago Cubs Spring Training squad.

Indians designate LHP Rafael Perez for assignment. (11/28/12)

Indians sign RHP Fernando Nieve and RHP Kota Kobayashi to Minor League deals. (11/30/12)
Indians designate LHP Chris Seddon for assignment.
Indians claim 1B Mike McDade off of waivers from the Toronto Blue Jays.
3B Jack Hannahan and Rafael Perez elect for free agency.

December Is For Fun Tribe Moves:
Indians claim 1B Chris McGuiness off of waivers from the Frisco Roughriders. (? :chuckles:) (12/6/12)
The Cubs claim Hector Rondon off of waivers.

Indians trade CF Shin-Shoo Choo and 3B Jason Donald to the Cincinnati Reds for SS Didi Gregorious and CF Drew Stubbs. (12/11/12)
Then the Indians trade 1B Lars Anderson, Didi Gregorious, and LHP Tony Sipp to the Arizona Diamondbacks for the RHP Trifecta of Matt Albers, Trevor Bauer, and Bryan Shaw. We in Cleveland call this "Pulling a Danny Ferry/Chris Grant".

Indians sign RHP Joe Martinez to a Minor League deal. (12/14/12)

Indians sign 1B Mark Reynolds to a 1 year contract worth $6M. (12/18/12)
Indians designate LF Russ Canzler for assignment.

Indians sign C Brian Jeroloman to a Minor League deal. (12/19/12)

Toronto Blue Jays claim Russ Canzler off of waivers. Thus begins a fun saga where he goes almost everywhere in the league. Kenny Lofton is jealous. (12/21/12)

Indians sign 2B Matt Antonelli and 3B Ryan Rohlinger to Minor League deals. (12/27/12)

A New January, A New Tribe:
Indians claim our old buddy Russ Canzler off of waivers from the Toronto Blue Jays! (1/2/13)
Indians designate RHP Jeanmar Gomez for assignment.

Indians sign Nick Fucking Swisher to a 4 year contract worth $56M, with an option for the 2017 season. (1/3/13)
Indians designate LF Thomas Neal for assignment.

Indians sign RHP Brett Myers to a 1 year contract worth $7M, with an option for the 2014 season. (1/4/13)
New York Yankees claim Russ "I've Been Everywhere Man" Canzler off of waivers.

Indians sign LHP Scott Kazmir, RHP Jerry Gil and LHP Edward Paredes to Minor League deals. (1/8/13)

Indians trade Jeanmar Gomez to the Pittsburgh Pirates for LF Quincy Latimore. (1/9/12)

Indians release Thomas Neal. (1/11/13)

Indians sign LF Ben Francisco and 2B Ryan Raburn to Minor League deals. (1/21/13)

Indians sign RHP Matt Capps to a Minor League deal. (1/31/13)

February Is For Love... And Signing Old Players Like Jose Canseco:
Indians sign C Omir Santos and RF Jeremy Hermida to Minor League deals. (2/5/13)

Indians sign LHP Rich Hill to a Minor League deal. (2/7/13)

Indians sign 1B Jason Giambi to a Minor League deal. (2/9/13)

Indians sign CF Michael Bourn to a 4 year deal worth $48M. (2/11/13)

Last edited:
Re: 2012-2013 Indians Offseason Thread

You literally just beat me.

I had everything all copied and ready, and I refreshed and you were already up.

Damn you Corey. :chuckles:

I always have to have the last word. ;)

1.) Who is our next manager? Sandy Alomar Jr.? Terry Francona? Some dark-horse candidate?
2.) What will we do with Travis Hafner? 1 more year on the cheap? Throw him out?
3.) There is also the question of Choo. Do we trade him in the offseason, before the trading deadline? Keep him in hopes he stays?

1.) According to Camino, the list was already narrowed down to 2 guys by Friday, Alomar & Francona. My gut says Alomar is the guy. He's interviewing tomorrow, Francona Friday.

2.) Incentive laden deal.

3.) Trade him unless Boras becomes no longer associated with him. Combine Boras with the fact that he's 1 of our very few valuable assets & the writing is on the wall, IMO.

4.) Trades (Choo, Perez, etc); The usual 'lightning in a bottle' type signings; and I honestly think Antonetti tries to get a lil more aggressive in the FA market (He needs to tweak the strategy, to say the least).

So, first and foremost, I would like to thank everyone, whether you liked me or hated me, I liked you or hated you, on another fantastic season here at RCF. We had our ups and downs, fun times and bad times. But we made it. The season is over, and now we can focus on the business at hand.

I'm gonna say Francona but if we get Alomar ill be happy
Hopefully he'd come back, i'd sign him from 2-3 million.
Trade Choo unfortunately
I'd like to get cheap but valuable players with the money we have with the 14 million we have from declining Hafner's contract

Also, does anybody see us declining Ubaldo's contract option?

1.) According to Camino, the list was already narrowed down to 2 guys by Friday, Alomar & Francona. My gut says Alomar is the guy. He's interviewing tomorrow, Francona Friday.

2.) Incentive laden deal.

3.) Trade him unless Boras becomes no longer associated with him. Combine Boras with the fact that he's 1 of our very few valuable assets & the writing is on the wall, IMO.

4.) Trades (Choo, Perez, etc); The usual 'lightning in a bottle' type signings; and I honestly think Antonetti tries to get a lil more aggressive in the FA market (He needs to tweak the strategy, to say the least).

I agree with you about Alomar. This Francona thing just screams of every major free agent they've been in "talks" for. Things are getting close, we have a chance, nope not going to happen bring in the next choice. They're going to play up Francona's previous relationship with the tribe and say they're close to a deal, in the end it will go to Alomar.

Choo needed to go at the deadline this year, failing that he needs to go this year. There's just no chance that he's going to stay, get what you can for him.

Antonetti is absolutely going to have to get more aggressive. Be it through trades or free agency, he has to do something. If the team continues to falter like they did last season he's going to be the next scapegoat on the list. Though in this case it's actually much more his fault.

1) The Indians won't make a big name player splash. However, I think they will regarding the manager in order to restore some level of fan support. Francona is ultimately hired.

2) I think the Indians learned their lesson with Sizemore. I don't see Hafner coming back. I think he might just want to retire.

3) I think we end up keeping Choo. He is our best offensive outfielder and given the sudden rebound seasons by Baltimore and Oakland, I think the Indians end up keeping him.

4) Our glaring offensive holes are 1B and LF. I don't see any names worth spending large amounts of money on. The Indians will sign a few journeymen types in hopes one or two will stick.

I think the Indians have a somewhat large decision to make regarding our future. There are two paths. One path is trying to find quick fixes and patch our holes and try to be a good team soon. This includes keeping Choo, Perez etc and using prospects to find talent now.

The other option is to look down the road and trade Choo, Perez, etc. And develop our lower level talent. I think if Francona is hired, he will have a stronger desire to try and compete somewhat soon.

1) The Indians won't make a big name player splash. However, I think they will regarding the manager in order to restore some level of fan support. Francona is ultimately hired.

2) I think the Indians learned their lesson with Sizemore. I don't see Hafner coming back. I think he might just want to retire.

3) I think we end up keeping Choo. He is our best offensive outfielder and given the sudden rebound seasons by Baltimore and Oakland, I think the Indians end up keeping him.

4) Our glaring offensive holes are 1B and LF. I don't see any names worth spending large amounts of money on. The Indians will sign a few journeymen types in hopes one or two will stick.

I think the Indians have a somewhat large decision to make regarding our future. There are two paths. One path is trying to find quick fixes and patch our holes and try to be a good team soon. This includes keeping Choo, Perez etc and using prospects to find talent now.

The other option is to look down the road and trade Choo, Perez, etc. And develop our lower level talent. I think if Francona is hired, he will have a stronger desire to try and compete somewhat soon.

Keeping Choo makes absolutely no sense unless they have an inkling that they can keep him. Scott Boras is his agent, he's a grade A asshole. Essentially their choices are trade Choo or watch him walk for nothing.

Keeping Choo makes absolutely no sense unless they have an inkling that they can keep him. Scott Boras is his agent, he's a grade A asshole. Essentially their choices are trade Choo or watch him walk for nothing.

And the last time the Indians did something that made sense was?

No way in hell Hafner should stay. Guaranteed DL, I wouldn't sign him for $5. Anyone that says we should, you're an idiot.

No way in hell Hafner should stay. Guaranteed DL, I wouldn't sign him for $5. Anyone that says we should, you're an idiot.

And who else is going to play DH?

And who else is going to play DH?

Anybody that can swing a bat... it's not like they'd be much worse than what we got out of Hafner, anyway.

Anybody that can swing a bat... it's not like they'd be much worse than what we got out of Hafner, anyway.

Well it certainly wasn't a problem to find a player to replace him this year wasn't it?

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."