• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2012-2013 Indians Red Hot Offseason Thread (Bourn signed post 1940)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Re: 2012-2013 Indians Offseason Thread

Well it certainly wasn't a problem to find a player to replace him this year wasn't it?

Not disagreeing but the guy didn't do much this year anyway...

.228 BA, 12 HR, 34 RBI, 66 GP, .346 OBP, .438 SLG

Hardly worth the 13 million he made this year.

And honestly, all he does is bat 3-4 times a game. It's not like he puts on a glove and goes to play in the field.

Not disagreeing but the guy didn't do much this year anyway...

.228 BA, 12 HR, 34 RBI, 66 GP, .346 OBP, .438 SLG

Hardly worth the 13 million he made this year.

Nobody is saying to pick up his 13 mill option but for 1 or 2 mill plus incentives he could be an affordable option that we could be cut if he gets injured again.

It would be dumb to just let him walk if he's willing to stay for 1-2 million. We have no other options at DH, none, nada, zero. The Indians have also shown that they don't exactly have an easy time of finding somebody to replace him. Keeping Hafner on the cheap makes a lot more sense than that contract we gave to Grady. At least Hafner will suit up for 60 or so games.

Blow this shit up. There is no way to win with the caliber of starting pitching the Indians have. They need to go in full rebuilding mode and hope to build a winner in 3-4 years.

Blow this shit up. There is no way to win with the caliber of starting pitching the Indians have. They need to go in full rebuilding mode and hope to build a winner in 3-4 years.

I have to agree here and I hate It... The reality hit me finally. Unless they want to pay out money or somehow we increase payroll This Is the only option. I would keep Kipness, Santana, Chiz, and... Maybe Masterson. The rest can go... Or will go.

At least suit up for 60 games!? Seriously, come on people he missed 90+ games. Why would you even pay a million for that?

One thing to think about regarding Hafner: declining his club option will cost $2.75M by contract. If re-signed, that $1-2M (more like 2 IMO) would have to be added to this cost. Still want to re-sign him? I don't.

I think the obvious DH option would be DH by committee. Santana would DH a lot. We need OF'ers and starting pitching primarily. Probably a 1B as well. Hafner can't even play the field any more. Spend the $2.75M and cut your losses IMO. Use your resources to try and fill other areas of need.

Hafner has appeared in 429 of a possible 810 games the last five years. For a team on a limited budget such as the Indians, do you really think it's worth the 1-2 million to sign a guy who has played:

57 - 2008
94 - 2009
118 (actually not too bad) - 2010
94 - 2011
66 - 2012

We said the same thing about Grady Sizemore, and that came back to bite the organization in the ass. Sure, it wouldn't be 5 million, but should the Indians really take that risk?

Whenever he does play we seem to win and whenever he is hurt we lose. Is that just me?

Francona will be hired, the Indians will trade for a DH, Choo and Perez are both gone for hopefully something of more value and impact than a RF who can't defend and hits with marginal power and a guy who is only useful when the team is good.

Ultimately, I think it will be a lot of rearranging, but not a whole lot of substance. If they can somehow get a deal for some power at DH, LF and 1B while not gutting their already depleted minor league system, then that would be an added bonus. With Carlos Carrasco coming back, that's hopefully a guy they can count on to seal one hole with the Starting Pitching. But with the pitching, it comes down to if Ubaldo and Masterson can get their shit together. I won't be holding my breath.

I think that a team to challenge for the AL Central crown is somewhere here. If Santana, Kipnis and Chisenhall all continue to progress, Droobs gets his ass in shape and the starting pitching gets fixed along with no quit this time around, I see a 75 win team right now. Adding about 15 wins shouldn't be THAT hard...but then again, I don't have a whole lot of faith in Antonetti.

There's nothing wrong with Hafner providing veteran leadership off of the bench, and batting a few days a week for 2 mil a year.

We just paid Sizemore five million dollars this year to do jack-shit. Hafner can still be effective when he's healthy and on a hot streak.

I know it's Bleacher Report but they have the top 50 free agents and predicting where they will land and they have us landing Jonny Gomes to play DH and Ryan Madson to be our closer (if we trade Perez)

I tried applying to write for Bleacher Report and got denied, pissed me off, especially since a solid 80% of their articles are awful.

Time to cut the cord with Hafner. No, a guy who can only DH and gives an 800 OPS for 60-90 games a year is a 'luxury' this team cant afford. Since the club is rebuilding, yes, they are better off leaving the DH spot open to not only rotate guys in, but to find a veteran bat for the lineup and clubhouse. Hafner's presence on this roster has prevented the club from finding a bargain bat for a few years now, if for no other reason than they already had a full-time DH. Yes, I think the team can find a better deal, and a much more reliable player, in FA.

The club has to start dumpster-diving for overlooked, blocked or 'failed' prospects and they have to get good at it like they had been at one time. They need to develop a situation like they had back in 04-05, when the club got two blocked prospects w/ tools but flaws in Broussard and Hafner. Competition made one shine and the other was useful for half a season. This club has to do this, and Lars Anderson doesn't count. They have to find some Caseys if they want to turn this around quickly. They also need to invest their FA dollars (and they have some, regardless of what they say) in a starting pitcher or two. If they pay anywhere, it needs to be there.

I tried applying to write for Bleacher Report and got denied, pissed me off, especially since a solid 80% of their articles are awful.

90% of their site is just top 10 or top 25 lists of hot chicks. You must've had one awful resume to get denied by them. :chuckles:

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."