• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The Jonas V thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Here's what The Bullshit Whisperer just tweeted:
Sam The Bullshit Whisperer @SamAmicoFSO 10 Oct
Asked scout at Raptors-Pistons game to describe Jonas Valanciunas' debut in a word. He bounced between "soft" and "scared."

Say what you will but no one ever called TT "soft..."

Asked scout at Raptors-Pistons game to describe Jonas Valanciunas' debut in a word. He bounced between "soft" and "scared."

Hm. Sorry to be racist against my own race but, the skinny white kid from Europe with "potential to be very skilled" looks soft against NBA guys? Shocking. :chuckles:

It's only his first NBA action and things obviously change...he could get comfortable and add a few pounds of muscle (but not much with that frame). But he looked soft to me since the first time I saw tape of him. I still figure he'll be that way throughout his career. Sometimes you can't fix "soft".

Those two could be the reincarnation of the Wallace Brothers. Eerily similar skill sets.

Except that 'Sheed is an All-World defender compaired to Monroe. I agree though, Detroit will be a handful whenever they figure out their PG situation.

Tristan & Klay Thompson, Biyombo, and Leonard were all part of a clump of players expected to go in the #7 to #12 range.

JV was who everyone expected the Cavs to take if Williams and Kanter were off the board. Knight didn't make sense unless we planned to pull a Kahn and draft him to trade him. Vesely was an option ... just not a good one due to lack of skills.

So, all those guys were reasonably in play as opposed to someone like Faried who everyone let slip in the draft.

Leonard was a nice pick for a contender like the Spurs, but I'm thinking he wouldn't be seen in the same light if he was expected to be the #1/#2/#3 option on a team.

The Bullshit Whisperer has been completely against Jonas from the start and takes every opportunity to take a shot at him. I read another comment where either a scout or front office executive totally disagreed with this assessment.
It's going to take some time before anyone can make a complete judgment on all these young players. I've haven't agreed with all of Grant's draft decisions but I'm willing to give them some time.

The Bullshit Whisperer has been completely against Jonas from the start and takes every opportunity to take a shot at him. I read another comment where either a scout or front office executive totally disagreed with this assessment.
It's going to take some time before anyone can make a complete judgment on all these young players. I've haven't agreed with all of Grant's draft decisions but I'm willing to give them some time.

So where is this comment?? I posted something.

Jonas Valanciunas, the Raptors’ fifth pick in the 2011 draft, also continues to generate a buzz with his play just three games into his tenure in Toronto. The big Lithuanian brought his teammates on the bench to their feet with a first-quarter play that saw him pump fake twice before blowing by Okafor for a one-handed dunk.

“He is a very strong player and very active,” Okafor said of guarding Valanciunas. “He is a difficult player to play against because he is high energy and is always moving, always doing something.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...s-raptors-to-win-over-wizards/article4619915/

[video=youtube;rs5-bg9PZ7g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs5-bg9PZ7g[/video]

I liked it better when we could give RaptorFan a hard time about draft lottery results.

Looks like Jonas has put on some more weight.

Let's dial that back in the regular season when opponents can be bothered to send other guys to defend him. lol

Beating a rusty Okafor off the dribble and then dunking it home against nothing is something that Tristan would do day and night.

Looks like Jonas has put on some more weight.

First thing that jumped out at me.

He is anything but a string bean anymore and looks like he will be a load down low in the future if he keeps bulking up. Still has good athleticism it appears though even with the added weight.

He will be a different mold of Euro if he keeps adding size as he will be a 7 footer that looks to bang and hang out around the post as opposed to hanging out on the perimeter which is what many of them end up doing.

First thing that jumped out at me.

He is anything but a string bean anymore and looks like he will be a load down low in the future if he keeps bulking up. Still has good athleticism it appears though even with the added weight.

He will be a different mold of Euro if he keeps adding size as he will be a 7 footer that looks to bang and hang out around the post as opposed to hanging out on the perimeter which is what many of them end up doing.

Ahem....
i

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."