• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Who is the Browns' General Manager for the 2013 off-season?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Status
Not open for further replies.

DCunleaded

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Piggy-backing off the discussion for potential Head Coaches for next year; I think the chance for a new GM to start the Haslam/Banner era is a topic definitely up for discussion. For the record, I'd like to keep Heckert; he has methodically improved the team the past few years. I don't like all of his moves, but I think a new HC is more likely than a new GM. Anyways, here are a few potential guys I've dug up. I won't include anyone who is currently employed as an NFL GM, but you can imagine JH3/Banner will talk to anyone they think is the best.

Much tougher than finding head coaching candidates BTW. Feel free to add, comment, or call me a dick.

Tom Heckert: NFL GM for since 2006, very familiar with Banner and current staff. Currently has final say on Browns' roster. Has done a solid job of improving the Browns'; however, Banner/Haslam might not think Heckert has what it takes to assemble a Super Bowl roster, which would leave ole Heck out of a job.

John Spytek: Currently the Browns' Director of College Scouting. There was a really nice article in one of the CLE papers on Spytek, but I can't find it. Came with Heckert from Philly, I think he might end up with a promotion if Heck leaves; not sure if he is ready for GM job yet.
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/staff/john-spytek/f1a160fc-2861-4261-8966-b72e5a8f34a4

Omar Kahn: Currently Director of Business & Football Administration Pittsburgh Steelers. A 35 year-old with a bright future, he has spent 7ish years with the Steelers' business/negotiation side, after being in the Saint's football operations division. He seems more of a salary cap guy/negotiator, so that seems to be a bit of duplicating fields of expertise with Banner.

Louis Riddick: Currently Director of Pro Personnel Philadelphia Eagles. Another guy with ties to Banner. Former NFL player started up the ranks as a scout, then got a promotion with the Redskins, and then went back to a scout in Philly for a few years before he received his current title. 43 years old.

Rick Mueller: Currently Player Personnel Executive with Eagles. I was just scouring wiki looking at the current Eagles FO staff, and found this guy. After checking out his resume in passing, I came away pretty impressed; he has a pretty extensive body of work for a 44 year-old.
Check him out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Mueller

Tom Donohue: Currently Senior Football Advisor with Eagles: Former GM in Buffalo and Pittsburgh, I'm not a huge fan but he might be in the mix because his relationship with Banner. He also might have that Pittsburgh methodology that Haslam is looking for. He sure as shit fucked up the Bills for a while IMO.....

That's all I got for right now. Knowing that I prefer Heckert staying on board, I can get behind a hire like Mueller or Riddick. If/when I dig up more potential guys, I'll post them.

Smooth mentioned a couple potential names in the Haslam Thread:

If they do look for a new GM, just a few names to throw out there:

Marc Ross (Giants, Director of College Scouting): he has been a name on GM radars for some time now and has helped oversee a very good personnel department in New York... He has ties to Banner, serving as a scout and Scouting Director under him before..

Jason Licht (Patriots, Director of Pro Personnel): another name that has bandied about in GM searches for a while, he's been thought of at every stop (PHI, ARI and now NE)... He has ties to Banner in his last few years in Philadelphia...

Scott Cohen (Jets, Assistant GM): was hired away from Philly at the end of Banner's reign in Philly, he spent 7 years with Banner as his Director of Pro Personnel... I haven't heard his name much with GM searches but that doesn't mean anything for his ability..

Bill Polian... get it done Haslam. Quit sitting on your hands!

Floyd Reese will be in play I think.

I'm a Heckert guy, as well. The difference between before and now is that I trust the guys in place now to make a sound decision regarding the organizational make-up. If Heckert stays, I'll be happy. If not, I'll just do my homework to understand exactly why the FO made their decision.

Michael Lombardi, former Senior Personnel Executive of Oakland Raiders, former Director of Pro Personnel for Philadelphia Eagles and Cleveland Browns

I'm not sure Polian is the best guy. He didn't have a lot of success with his first rounders in the last 4-5 years (granted they were late in the round). Plus the team was built around Peyton. Once he was hurt, the whole team crumbled like a deck of cards.

He was successful in Buffalo and built a very well rounded team, but that was 20 years ago now.

although i don't see it happening with Banner coming in, i sure hope we keep Heckert while reading some of the names (Mike Lombardi...are you kidding me?)

I'm going to buy a rope and look for a tree with strong limbs if we bring in Mike Lombardi.

I really, and I mean REALLY wish we'd retain Heckert. It made me so mad to see Holmgren's burger loving ass step all over his toes in the early rounds. He deserves a draft to himself for once so we can see what he can really do. He inherited the LEAST ATHLETIC NFL roster by a wide margin when he came to town, now we've some talented players, and we're going to fire the guy? Straight up bullshit if you ask me.

Jason Licht would be the guy for me.

No way Lombardi is brought in. Bill Simmons may think of highly of him, but that's not necessarily true around the league.

I havent heard but why do people hate Lombardi?

Have to throw Stu Jensen's name in the mix as well.

I'll throw in our Director of Player Personnel Jon Sandusky in as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."