• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Who is the Browns' General Manager for the 2013 off-season?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Status
Not open for further replies.
He has experience in the front office, like everyone else that's been mentioned

Nfl.com's take on the "Hot GM Candidates", posted at the end of last season:

Opportunities present themselves for hot GM candidates

By Albert Breer NFL Network
Reporter, NFL.com and NFL Network
Published: Jan. 4, 2012 at 07:23 p.m.
Updated: Jan. 4, 2012 at 07:38 p.m.

I've spent time near the end of each of the past few seasons compiling a list of rising general-manager candidates, with the thought that names like these don't generate the buzz of those on the coaching carousel.

And as I was fleshing out names about a month ago, one general manager lamented that, because there had been recent front-office turnover, chances for the next crop of young executives could be fewer and farther between. Timing, he said, was of the utmost importance for front-office types, since those positions historically don't turn over at the rate coaching jobs do.

So much for that.

While some GMs survived their clubs' coaching changes -- namely the Kansas City Chiefs' Scott Pioli, Jacksonville Jaguars' Gene Smith, Miami Dolphins' Jeff Ireland and Tampa Bay Buccaneers' Mark Dominik -- other teams whacked their GMs without letting go of the coach. So a list that once consisted of just the Oakland Raiders now includes the Indianapolis Colts, Chicago Bears and St. Louis Rams.

In light of that, we figured it'd be worthwhile to re-run the "Future GM" list from December. The original story includes a lead-in explaining why the business end of things is gaining importance in the minds of owners, and why you may see more business-side folks in discussion for these jobs going forward.

Without further delay, the list:

Russ Ball, Packers VP of football administration/player finance: Known as a good people person with an ability to manage, Ball has overseen the Packers cap since 2008 and has 23 years of NFL experience with five teams. He actually got his start as a strength coach. That diversity of experience -- and his association with a championship program -- makes him an intriguing candidate.

Nick Caserio, Patriots director of player personnel: The 36-year-old has quickly become one of the most respected personnel guys on the circuit, with steely focus and drive, and worked extensively on the coaching side as well during the Patriots' championship years. As one GM said, "He gets it." That likely would be apparent in an interview setting, but it won't be easy to pry him from Bill Belichick's side.

Caserio has Ohio ties, having been born in Lyndhurst & attending University School & John Carroll. Teammate of Josh McDaniels and London Fletcher.

Brian Gaine, Dolphins director of player personnel: Miami's instability notwithstanding, Gaine was part of constructing the Cowboys' talent-rich roster in the middle of the decade, sat next to Bill Parcells and Jeff Ireland in the draft room in Miami, and has worked both small-picture (advance scouting) and big-picture (team building) parts of an operation. Gaine is well-regarded in the scouting community.

Tom Gamble, 49ers director of player personnel: This season in San Francisco has caused a lot of folks to re-evaluate how the 49ers were built. Scot McCloughan, having already been a GM, doesn't qualify for this list, but he might get another look as a GM (maybe in Oakland), and Gamble's is another name sure to come up, with his experience in pro and college scouting, contract negotiations and coaching.

Dennis Hickey, Buccaneers director of player personnel: Promoted this year after serving for six years as the team's college scouting director, Hickey played a big part in turning Tampa Bay's roster over, from an aging group under Jon Gruden to its current state as the league's youngest team. Even though the Bucs are struggling now, there's still a strong base to build around.

Will Lewis, Seahawks director of pro personnel (Now VP of Football Operations): Lewis is another ex-Packer personnel man. He went with Ted Thompson to Seattle in 2000 and carries a pretty complete résumé. He's regarded as a solid evaluator and hard worker with leadership potential. He also brings experience as an NFL player and a coach. The Seahawks' continued improvement will only help his cause.

Pat Moriarty, Ravens VP of football administration: Another "cap guy", but one with a very interesting background. Moriarty briefly played in the NFL and was in commercial banking for more than a decade after that. He joined the Belichick Browns in 1994 and has managed the financial structure of one of the NFL's most stable rosters over the past decade, while working closely with Newsome.

-Another guy with Cleveland ties. Born in Cleveland, on Belichick's staff here.

Marc Ross, Giants director of college scouting: The 38-year-old has put together an impressive run of draft classes since joining the Giants in 2007, and was in the mix for the Seattle GM position when Pete Carroll was hired as coach in 2010. Ross was once the league's youngest college director, at 27 years old in Philly, and has a Princeton degree, which is sure to please the business side of an organization.

-As Smooth mentioned in another thread (which I quoted earlier), Ross has ties to Banner, having served as his college scouting director in Philadelphia.

Doug Whaley, Bills assistant general manager: Whaley is considered the future in Buffalo, working now at the side of Buddy Nix. The roster has improved greatly of late, despite the team's recent swoon, due to Nix and Whaley's ability to turn over every rock to find talent. Just as important, Whaley was raised in the Steeler system, so he has strong knowledge of what a championship team looks like.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d825b843b/article/opportunities-present-themselves-for-hot-gm-candidates

Last edited:
I hope whoever our new GM is has a background scouting college football players. We tried the Pro Personnel route for years, and maybe we just hired the wrong people, but none of them could draft worth a damn.

I'm not sure Polian is the best guy. He didn't have a lot of success with his first rounders in the last 4-5 years (granted they were late in the round). Plus the team was built around Peyton. Once he was hurt, the whole team crumbled like a deck of cards.

He was successful in Buffalo and built a very well rounded team, but that was 20 years ago now.

He built 3 SB contenders and if you ask anyone in Indy if it was worth it, I'd bet they'd say yes.

That being said he has a cushy tv job, but told Rizzo he'd come back for the right situation.

Last edited:
He built 3 SB contenders and if you ask anyone in Indy if it was worth it, I'd bet they'd say yes.

That being said he has a cushy tv job, but told Rizzo he'd come back for the right situation.

All true. However; he's 69 years old going on 70 and he hasn't drafted a pro bowler in any of his final 5 drafts.

He is one of the best GM's in league history. He's been successful at every stop. However; he's at a point in his life where his best days are behind him and he's not a guy you will keep for 10 years. In 2-3 years you are looking for another GM or appointing his son. Neither option seem desirable for me

All true. However; he's 69 years old going on 70 and he hasn't drafted a pro bowler in any of his final 5 drafts.

He is one of the best GM's in league history. He's been successful at every stop. However; he's at a point in his life where his best days are behind him and he's not a guy you will keep for 10 years. In 2-3 years you are looking for another GM or appointing his son. Neither option seem desirable for me

My issue with Polian is his tenure in Indy is Peyton Manning... Now, he avoided a colossal mistake by drafting Manning, but his teams pretty much sucked in the trenches and on defense for the majority of his tenure there.

My issue with Polian is his tenure in Indy is Peyton Manning... Now, he avoided a colossal mistake by drafting Manning, but his teams pretty much sucked in the trenches and on defense for the majority of his tenure there.

HE WON A RING! That's what I want. I couldn't care less about sucking on defense if we win a ring.

HE WON A RING! That's what I want. I couldn't care less about sucking on defense if we win a ring.

So poor drafts be damned, we're going to base the opinion off the title Peyton Manning almost single handedly carried them to?

No thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."