• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

London mayor meets with NFL officials to discuss a team in Olympic Stadium

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pyro

Go Cleveland!
Reaction score
LONDON -- The Olympic Stadium is in need of a tenant, and London Mayor Boris Johnson thinks the NFL could be the right match.

Just a few days after the NFL's sixth regular-season game at Wembley Stadium, Johnson said he has held "exploratory" talks with the league about playing more games in the British capital.

"Sunday's game at Wembley, in front of over 80,000 fans, further cements London's reputation as the natural home of American football outside of the United States," the mayor's office said in a statement. "Given the ever growing popularity of gridiron on this side of the Atlantic, the mayor and his team have held a number of meetings with senior executives in the last few days to explore further opportunities involving the NFL and London.

"The talks were exploratory, we are at an early stage, but the signs are encouraging."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/...-in-talks-with-nfl-for-olympic-stadium-tenant

Let's do it.

No. That would be the dumbest thing ever. Nobody would want to play there.

EDIT: Thought this was about getting a team there, either way it is stupid to play games there.

Last edited:
The NFL should put a team in England the day that the EPL allows MLS teams to qualify for their league.

There's obviously a demand for it over there. Why not? I think it would be kind of cool actually. Great for the fans overseas.

The Browns to Australia

Get it done Jimmy

There's obviously a demand for it over there. Why not? I think it would be kind of cool actually. Great for the fans overseas.

Then they should have their own league. We didn't ask for Manchester United to play over here when soccer started getting big in the US.

No. That would be the dumbest thing ever. Nobody would want to play there.

EDIT: Thought this was about getting a team there, either way it is stupid to play games there.

It is about getting a team there. I see a lot of people saying it's stupid because "nobody would want to play there" or "nobody would show up" but you've all been proven wrong time and time again with record attendance, etc.

Instead of having a team over there, they should just have a match up over there every other week or so.

Instead of having a team over there, they should just have a match up over there every other week or so.

Why, just move a team there, that's the same as playing there every other week. I wonder if you would need 2 though. Otherwise what a shitty travel schdule.

Why, just move a team there, that's the same as playing there every other week. I wonder if you would need 2 though. Otherwise what a shitty travel schdule.

Seriously, even when they have to play division opponents the travel time would blow. The logistics would be a nightmare.

Out of curiosity...whats the general opinion of Americans in Britain? I know we generally like them and I get the impression that they embrace our culture.

Out of curiosity...whats the general opinion of Americans in Britain? I know we generally like them and I get the impression that they embrace our culture.

They think we are all fat, eat mcdonalds all day everyday, and wear cowboy boots. We think they sit around with the queen eating crumpets, sipping on tea, and never brushing their teeth.

Then they should have their own league. We didn't ask for Manchester United to play over here when soccer started getting big in the US.

I don't get the "this is ours and you can't have any" attitude, but OK. It wouldn't make a difference to you as a fan.

Last edited:
I don't get the "this is ours and you can't have any" attitude, but OK.

Did you forget how bad it hurt when the Browns got moved to Baltimore?

Put yourself in the shoes of a die hard fan who lives within 50 miles of his favorite teams stadium and has season tickets. Now imagine how bad it would suck to have your team moved out of the country where it would cost about $2000+ to travel their and back including the price of a hotel room.

Did you forget how bad it hurt when the Browns got moved to Baltimore?

Put yourself in the shoes of a die hard fan who lives within 50 miles of his favorite teams stadium and has season tickets. Now imagine how bad it would suck to have your team moved out of the country where it would cost about $2000+ to travel their and back including the price of a hotel room.
I never said anything about moving a team over there. I'm talking about playing a few games over there a year(different teams each time). As a Browns fan, I wouldn't wish any city to lose their home team(maybe Shittsburgh). Even losing teams.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."