• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Truth And Rumors (trade deadline talk)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

caf

Some people did something.
Reaction score
2012-2013 Trade Deadline (discussion)

Hello all. Seeing as RCF has a stigma for creating threads in extreme advance I thought I would share some thoughts I have recently had after watching this Cavs team play their first few games in regards to the trade deadline.

A lot of speculation has occurred around these parts about Anderson Varejao's future. There are a few reasons for this... the Bynum trade rumors, speculation that AV will be useless by the time we start competing, etc.

However, AV is showing all us nay sayers that he is here to stay. He hasn't peaked yet. Perhaps we are seeing his peak. But with the added offensive arsenal he keeps adding, he is going to be a productive piece for 2-4 more years.

With Bynum going to Philly, as well as the never ending injury concerns, I'm not sure what the Cavs can do at this point. There is little guarantee he will sign with the Cavs this summer, and I am not so sure the Cavs may even want him anymore. Zeller and Varejao can be a very productive pair at the 5. Going after Bynum would require one of these players to be moved... would the upgrade in talent be worth the upgrade in payroll at the position? I am not so sure.

With that being said, I think we should focus less on speculating who may be leaving at the trade deadline (AV) and start focusing on who may be coming at the trade deadline. Josh Smith is a very realistic option. All signs point to Smith and Atlanta parting ways at the end of this season (if not sooner). He is only 26 years old, and has the flexibility to play the 3 and the 4, which happen to be the two weakest positions on this roster. Thompson and Gee become more rotational players and we see a major upgrade at these two positions by just adding one guy.

The versatility at the 3/4 would allow much more flexibility in our rotations (and lets face it, our rotations are our Achilles heel right now).

And don't forget who Atlanta's GM is. Danny Ferry. He wants assets, and the Cavs have more assets than they are ever going to use. At first I thought of Smith as a option for Free Agency, but seeing as the Hawks are looking to part ways with Smith, Grant could get him for quite a bargain.

Re: 2012 Trade Deadline Thread

The 2012 trade deadline was like eight months ago. You're a little late.

Re: 2012-2013 Trade Deadline Thread

Thanks to the mod that changed the thread title.

I'm having trouble imagining the Cavs will be buyers at the deadline this year, but I also didn't expect them to beat the Clippers. :chuckles:

I do think that as a small-market team, trading for top-tier talent is going to have to become part of the equation eventually.

Why give up assets now or during the season for a player like Josh Smith when they can sign him outright in the summer. Same goes for a guy like Al Jefferson.

But those are both strong offensive guys at PF that we should pair up WITH Andy, not trade Andy for.

Normally I'd agree, but I wonder if the combination of excessive amounts of cap space plus the pure magnetism of a guy like Kyrie could lead to us actually making a prime FA signing in 2013 or 2014.

Now that teams over the luxury tax can no longer execute sign and trade for top tier FA's, normal destination spots like NYC, Brooklyn, Miami, LA, Chicago, and Boston may not be options for top FA in the 2013 and 2014 FA class, due to their cap space already being filled up.

Destination matters, but money talks and Kyrie based on his short stint in the league and the respect he garnered on the USA Select team, seems to really be a star in the eye of other NBA players.

eam, trading for top-tier talent is going to have to become part of the equation eventually.

Why give up assets now or during the season for a player like _______

The main argument is that big name free agents are not going to sign in Cleveland. So you grab them in other ways. I doubt the Cavs are going to trade for a pending free agent, though, unless they have 200% assurance they'll re-sign in Cleveland.

I'm willing to remain hopeful through the 2013 free-agent signing period that Kyrie/etc. can help attract someone who can't find the money elsewhere. But I don't see the Cavs waiting much longer after that to pull the trigger.

Last edited:

Why give up assets now or during the season for a player like Josh Smith when they can sign him outright in the summer. Same goes for a guy like Al Jefferson.

But those are both strong offensive guys at PF that we should pair up WITH Andy, not trade Andy for.

I doubt ATL just lets Josh Smiths contract expire. He has trade value, and Ferry will get whatever he can for him.

And my whole post was against trading andy. Not sure where you thought i said we should trade andy for smith.

I doubt ATL just lets Josh Smiths contract expire. He has trade value, and Ferry will get whatever he can for him.

This is a good point. More than likely, some sort of deal and eventual extension is in the works with Houston, where Houston gives up some combo of Patterson, White, or Marcus plus a draft pick to get Josh Smith from Atlanta

And my whole post was against trading andy. Not sure where you thought i said we should trade andy for smith.

More of a general statement that I'd like to see us add a guy like Smith or Jefferson with Andy, not aimed at you, as your first post was clear

I don't see the Cavaliers making any big moves at this trade deadline for a few reasons

1. Varejao has been playing extremely well. The rush to trade Andy was based off of his decline of skill at an increasing age... But he may have proven he has 3-4 more solid years left playing at a high level. No rush to trade him, if that is the FO's plan.

2. Luke Walton's contract expires after this season. He is making over 6 mil this season, and although the cap isn't really an issue for us now, it would make more sense to make moves once his disgusting contract is done.

3. The Cavs would benefit, this year, from a higher draft pick. Our starting 5, let alone our bench, is not yet playoff caliber. I'd like to see us acquire the best talent possible, this year , from the draft before we bring in a heavy hitter to boost our record.

4. The crop of free agents in the 2014 market is much more talented than the 2013 market.

The good sign is that our FO is not afraid to pull the trigger on a big name. Optimistic for the future..

3. The Cavs would benefit, this year, from a higher draft pick. Our starting 5, let alone our bench, is not yet playoff caliber. I'd like to see us acquire the best talent possible, this year, from the draft before we bring in a heavy hitter to boost our record.

Hmmm. I agree we aren't 1-6 seed playoff caliber, but barring major injuries to key players, this team is probably going to be in the chase for the 7-8 spot in the East for much of the year.

Last year we were hovering around the 8th seed for quite a long time. Sure we lost Jamison this offseason, but Dion is an upgrade over Parker. Last year it took injuries to Irving and Varejao for us to fall off the map. And that is because we had no bench, which we still don't. However, our starting five is likely good enough to allow us to 'contend' for an 8th seed.

If andy plays at his current level i have no doubt they will trade him at the deadline. Lots of teams should be interested. His abiltiy to hit that horace grant top of the key jumper makes him a legit offensive player next to a star.

The Cavs have over 11 million dollars worth of expirings.. which is very valuable..and also a multitude of picks which we already know. The Cavs will be on the lookout for big men I can only presume.

There are a few guys who come to mind who will be available. Al Jefferson/Paul Millsap/Josh Smith/Kendrick Perkins/Nene come to mind immediately. Out of those, Millsap and Smith are the only seamless fits with Al Jefferson to a lesser extent.

Some sleepers who may get moved due to contract situations or sheer unhappiness to me are: Demarcus Cousins (due for an extension next year, bad situation) and Al Horford (does he eventually ask out?) Those are 2 guys who far and away put the Cavs over the top.

This is where the expirings, picks, and young talent come into play. The Cavs can offer a variety of picks, clear some salary off the books, and include a young player like Tristan Thompson or Zeller. Al Horford and Cousins are guys you break the bank for.. but its unlikely they will be on the market this year.

Do I see the Cavs being buyers at the deadline this year? No. But, we may make a few small, under the radar moves to help us in the long run.

The more I think about Josh Smith, the more I can see that being a perfect acquisition for this team. He's not a top flight superstar anymore, but he still is an elite defender, rebounder, and athlete who runs the floor like a deer and is looking to finish. He's also got a jump-shot that must be respected out to 18 feet. Smith used to shoot a lot of threes with mixed success, but I think he can become a lethal mid-range shooter for the remainder of his career. Quite frankly, I'd give up Tristan Thompson if I could get my hands on Josh Smith. Both guys are great athletes, but Smith is just so much more of a basketball player.

Irving
Waiters
Gee
Smith
Andy
Zeller

Thats 6 Legitimate players and probably a damn exciting team to watch.

Ideally if we could sign Josh Smith in the summer and keep Thompson, we'd have a potentially great defense. Thompson and Zeller off the bench. Smith and Varejao to start. That team has some serious potential. More than even the best Hawks teams that we routinely swept in the playoffs.

The more I think about Josh Smith, the more I can see that being a perfect acquisition for this team. He's not a top flight superstar anymore, but he still is an elite defender, rebounder, and athlete who runs the floor like a deer and is looking to finish. He's also got a jump-shot that must be respected out to 18 feet. Smith used to shoot a lot of threes with mixed success, but I think he can become a lethal mid-range shooter for the remainder of his career. Quite frankly, I'd give up Tristan Thompson if I could get my hands on Josh Smith. Both guys are great athletes, but Smith is just so much more of a basketball player.

The bolded is a curious phrase. Firstly, at no point in his career has Josh Smith ever been any variety of superstar. Secondly, it sounds like you're saying that he has declined when in fact he posted career bests in PPG, Rebound Rate, Assist Percentage, and PER. Having said that, I definitely agree that Josh Smith would be a great addition to the team. I'm not really sure what sort of assets we would or should be looking to give up for him right now, but thankfully, the deadline is a long ways away.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."