• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Puerto Rico votes to become a state (pending congress approval)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pyro

Go Cleveland!
Reaction score
I was talking about this last night, but it was glazed over, so I'll post it here in it's own thread, since it's pretty damn big news...

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — A slim majority of Puerto Ricans sought to change their ties with the United States and become the 51st U.S. state in a non-binding referendum that would require final approval from Congress.

The two-part referendum asked whether the island wanted to change its 114-year relationship with the United States. Nearly 54 percent, or 922,374 people, sought to change it, while 46 percent, or 786,749 people, favored the status quo. Ninety-six percent of 1,643 precincts were reporting as of early Wednesday.

The second question asked voters to choose from three options, with statehood by far the favorite, garnering 61 percent. Sovereign free association, which would have allowed for more autonomy, received 33 percent, while independence got 5 percent.

http://news.yahoo.com/puerto-ricans-opt-statehood-referendum-134423786.html

People saying it won't be approved because the Republicans control the House, and Puerto Rico has shown to be very Democratic in the past, but other people saying if that happens, then the Republicans can forget about winning Florida for a while because of the amount of Puerto Ricans that live there.

Hope it happens. And if it does, buy some stock in a flag company.

Regarding stocks, I looked up Annin Flagmakers which claims to be "the oldest and largest company" that makes flags; and they are private, so not really sure if there is anyway to make money off of this. :chuckles:

So does that mean they will start hanging small American flags from their rear view mirrors now?

Can I become part of the US too? We won't add too many people to the country, but Canada would be the biggest state in the country.

Can I become part of the US too? We won't add too many people to the country, but Canada would be the biggest state in the country.

as long as you bring the free healthcare with you

So does that mean they will start hanging small American flags from their rear view mirrors now?

Hahahahaha... love this post

I don't think you want to. You're probably better off your own country :gap:

I was talking about this last night, but it was glazed over, so I'll post it here in it's own thread, since it's pretty damn big news...

http://news.yahoo.com/puerto-ricans-opt-statehood-referendum-134423786.html

People saying it won't be approved because the Republicans control the House, and Puerto Rico has shown to be very Democratic in the past, but other people saying if that happens, then the Republicans can forget about winning Florida for a while because of the amount of Puerto Ricans that live there.

Hope it happens. And if it does, buy some stock in a flag company.

Yea, but you just said Puerto Rico is heavily Democratic in the first place, so I'm guessing Puerto Ricans that live in Florida and are US citizens aren't voting Republican in the first place.

Hahahahaha... love this post

I don't think you want to. You're probably better off your own country :gap:

I'm pretty sure I want to. Lower taxes, lower mcnugget prices, and maybe I could catch a few Cavs games on TV... Sounds like a win imo.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."