• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Mike Brown, Fired

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Mike Brown is just one of a million example in sports and the workplace in general of someone getting promoted past their competency level. He was a great defensive coach, but he's a terrible head coach because he doesn't know how to manage a game or make appropriate adjustments. As a defensive coach, this wasn't an issue, but it loses games (especially playoff games) for a head coach. Brown is also pretty inept when it comes to running an offense, and thus far has seemed pretty unwilling to bring in a talented offensive coach to run it for him.

Other Cleveland sports examples are Pat Shurmur (who wasn't even a good offensive coordinator and should never have been promoted to head coach) and Romeo Crennel (see: Brown, Mike). Some guys just aren't meant to be head coaches.

For anyone on this board who works for a living, you probably see this kind of thing all the time. Everyone has a competency level, and if they're promoted past it, they're going to flop.

Shame we don't hold our coaches to such high standards. We might actually have a winner in this town.

I'd love him to have a shot at fixing our defense and instilling his defensive principles on this young team.

I'd love him to have a shot at fixing our defense and instilling his defensive principles on this young team.

QbUjD.gif

I'd put my money on the Lakers going after Jerry Sloan over Mike D'Antoni if they are serious about contending ASAP.

Sidenote: I'm happy to see that stupid looking Mr. Potato Head get squashed again.

Mike Brown is just one of a million example in sports and the workplace in general of someone getting promoted past their competency level. He was a great defensive coach, but he's a terrible head coach because he doesn't know how to manage a game or make appropriate adjustments. As a defensive coach, this wasn't an issue, but it loses games (especially playoff games) for a head coach. Brown is also pretty inept when it comes to running an offense, and thus far has seemed pretty unwilling to bring in a talented offensive coach to run it for him.

Other Cleveland sports examples are Pat Shurmur (who wasn't even a good offensive coordinator and should never have been promoted to head coach) and Romeo Crennel (see: Brown, Mike). Some guys just aren't meant to be head coaches.

For anyone on this board who works for a living, you probably see this kind of thing all the time. Everyone has a competency level, and if they're promoted past it, they're going to flop.

Brown is an interesting one... He's a defensive coordinator who came from a system ran by a defensive HC. How much of his success was due to his genius, and how much should be credited to Popovich? San Antonio didn't seem to loose much defensively without him. That said, he must be a hell of a talker in an interview, because he convinced Buss he was the guy. He also did a phenomenal job of teaching guys like James and West how to play defense effectively, and ran an effective defense in Cleveland for years. But I'm always skeptical of guys who succeed as coordinators in categories the head coach specializes in, as the coach likely isn't giving those coordinators an especially long leash in the first place.

That's crazy- They must have someone in mind to pull the trigger like they did. Mike D'Antoni seems to be the name most batted around. I guess if you don't feel the guy will ever be good enough to get the job done and you have the ability to land the guy you want now, you do it. The question is, is that really the case or did they just kick Mike Brown to the curb because he is 1-4 at the start of the season. If they are promoting retreads like Eddie Jordan or Bernie Bickerstaff, lol.

Maybe Stan Van Gundy, and Dwight Howard re-uniting in the city of Angels? That is one of the only coaching changes that could actually make the team worse lmfao. I hope they go for D'antoni though for real. His run 'n gun offense would be a hilarious failure, and would help us have two shots at the number one pick when Kobe, Nash, Jamison, Pau, and Ron all end up on the DL

People aren't seriously worried about Byron Scott going to LA, are they? For real?

With the Cleveland tenure and the limited personnel besides Lebron, it was difficult to establish conclusively that Mike Brown didn't have a clue offensively. It seemed there were multiple reasons things could have gone wrong and maybe Lebron was as stubborn breaking plays as insiders have described. However, with the players the Lakers had, more was expected. He runs first-rate defenses, but the guy can't coach an offense. I was amazed to see how little he had Steve Nash doing. Simply put, if you can't use your tools effectively and you have multiple superstars in the lineup, then there is no longer an excuse.

The Lakers don't have the time to waste that the Cavs apparently did. They have a brand name to protect. Also, no one credible can doubt that Kobe got him fired behind closed doors, but Kobe slyly took the opportunity to help his media image by defending him in public yesterday.

I wish him all the best, but this decision certainly casts a different light on the Lebron years. Perhaps a more competent offensive coach could have extracted more from the group than Mike Brown and gotten us to the promised land. Oh well, I am excited about the current team, the current coach, and the current management. No need to live in the past few years.

I credit Brown for LBJ beings the defender he is today. The guy was great game to game adjustments but in game he was just awful.

Brown is an interesting one... He's a defensive coordinator who came from a system ran by a defensive HC. How much of his success was due to his genius, and how much should be credited to Popovich? San Antonio didn't seem to loose much defensively without him. That said, he must be a hell of a talker in an interview, because he convinced Buss he was the guy. He also did a phenomenal job of teaching guys like James and West how to play defense effectively, and ran an effective defense in Cleveland for years. But I'm always skeptical of guys who succeed as coordinators in categories the head coach specializes in, as the coach likely isn't giving those coordinators an especially long leash in the first place.

Well, the Cavs were fantastic defensively with him as their coach and we didn't exactly have elite defensive personnel outside of James. I'd say he earned his rep as a defensive coach. His ineptitude on offense and his refusal to make in-game adjustments when things aren't working are the reason he is a terrible head coach, though.

Defense may win championships, but you still need a competent offense. Brown doesn't provide even that.

We would have at least one championship had we fired him after the San Antonio finals like we should have.

(sigh)

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."