• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The Bench

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
2. Forget the record. It's irrelevant.

The Cavs are 2-5. Besides Daniel Gibson, who’s been great, they’re getting nothing from the bench. And I mean not a thing.

Neither C.J. Miles nor Omri Casspi has given them anything resembling an NBA contribution at the backup small forward spot. Tyler Zeller got hurt as soon as he started coming around. Samardo Samuels and Donald Sloan look lost.

But in spite of all that, this team could just as easily be 5-2.

http://www.foxsportsohio.com/11/12/...ing_cavaliers.html?blockID=818571&feedID=3725

It's truly brutal.

The good thing we can take away from it: Our starting lineup is pretty damn good and those are the only players that will be on this team in the future.

One option would be to have Waiters (or Irving) play more minutes with the bench. For the long-term, I would prefer they played with each other as many minutes as possible, even it means some incredibly brutal bench stretches. Zeller's return will also help out, but in the end, we have a team that is so shallow that any injury (even to a bench player) is going to have a major impact. But some selective use of a ball-handling starter during competitive games could boost morale and grab some wins.

2nd option is to play the starters heavier minutes. I don't see that as being a good long-term option either, especially if it leads to injury or fatigue.

3rd option is that a bench player will step up, preferably one who can provide minutes at SF (or at least fake it). I'm not hopeful unless Miles' benching helps light a fire. Not disappointed in players I didn't expect anything from (like Walton). Disappointed in players who have a chance to step up and grab time (Leuer and others).

Are there any other options? Are there any cheap/experienced SFs out there? A cheap/experienced PG who could keep Sloan/Pargo on the bench and help Kyrie learn? I'd rather see Kevin Jones learn on the job than watch some of these guys. It is fun to watch the talent on the team start to figure it out, but I'm getting to the point of wanting to fast-forward through certain terrible lineups.

One option would be to have Waiters (or Irving) play more minutes with the bench. For the long-term, I would prefer they played with each other as many minutes as possible, even it means some incredibly brutal bench stretches. Zeller's return will also help out, but in the end, we have a team that is so shallow that any injury (even to a bench player) is going to have a major impact. But some selective use of a ball-handling starter during competitive games could boost morale and grab some wins.

2nd option is to play the starters heavier minutes. I don't see that as being a good long-term option either, especially if it leads to injury or fatigue.

3rd option is that a bench player will step up, preferably one who can provide minutes at SF (or at least fake it). I'm not hopeful unless Miles' benching helps light a fire. Not disappointed in players I didn't expect anything from (like Walton). Disappointed in players who have a chance to step up and grab time (Leuer and others).

Are there any other options? Are there any cheap/experienced SFs out there? A cheap/experienced PG who could keep Sloan/Pargo on the bench and help Kyrie learn? I'd rather see Kevin Jones learn on the job than watch some of these guys. It is fun to watch the talent on the team start to figure it out, but I'm getting to the point of wanting to fast-forward through certain terrible lineups.

While we're on the topic, when am I allowed to make a tanking thread? :chuckles:

Do Derek Fisher or Michael Redd have jobs at the moment?

The Cavs' starting lineup was a plus-17 in OKC today. The Cavs lost by 15. The Cavs' bench stinks.

This is a sports journalist? Did he dig a bit deeper?

Cavs bench players: 29 points, 12 rebounds, 6 assists, 4 steals, 2 TO's, 0 BS's.
Thunder bench players: 22 points, 12 rebounds, 6 assists, 2 steals, 6 TO's, 1 BS.

Cavs starters: 153 minutes.
Thunder starters: 172 minutes

So the Cavs bench players had a better output than the Thunder's bench. But Brooks played his starters more, managed his rotations better than Scott, and consistently had a better of mix of bench players with starters out there.

But yes, it is solely the Cavs bench fault...

While we're on the topic, when am I allowed to make a tanking thread? :chuckles:

If they fall more than 12 games out of a playoff spot...

It may not be long, even though they're 1 game out today. :chuckles:

Waiters played well today but only played for 21 minutes. So either BS is trying to teach him a lesson on the expense of the teams immediate success or he screwed up the minutes tonight. I'm pretty sure it is the first and not the later.
There is no reason to play 5 bench players at once. Especially since nobody on the bench can beat their man off the dribble. Irving and/or Waiters need to play more minutes with the bench players. Gibson is going to get cold at some point so it is only going to get uglier.
Since everybody on the bench is sucking (excluding Gibson) part of the problem has to be the coaching. The frequent changes in the bench players minutes is not good for their confidence. For example, either Casspi or Miles should get to play for the next 10 games for at least 10 minutes a game. Even if they suck! Let them get a little more comfortable on the court and find their rhythm. I prefer Casspi but I think it was premature do take Miles out of the rotation. Also, there must be at least one player that can beat their man off the dribble on the court at all times.

the rebuild must be going alright if people are complaining about the bench...

hopefully by this time next year, the biggest problem will be not having an adequate backup for a single position or the lack of a reliable fifth big.

i feel like the front office's purpose for the starters on this team is for them to provide quality, fun to watch basketball. meanwhile, i feel like the front office's purpose for the bench is to make sure we net one more high draft pick

Scott has said the bench sucks and he is trying to find someone-anyone to step up. Boobie is having what may be his best year, but any of Samardo, CJ and Sloan have been just awful. Casspi and Leuer are getting their first real minutes. i think scott will try them for at least five more games before he gives up on them entirely. If you will recall last year, Casspi started out just as awful, but got a little better as he played more minutes. But if this guys wash out to, I have no idea what scott will do.

The important thing for the Cavs is to find 5 starters. The current bench isnt really that important. Cavs right now have 3 guys who look like long term starters in Irving, Waiters,and Zeller with Thompson being a question mark.

they still need a small forward.

Once you have the starting set in place you then have a bench of GIbson, AV. Then it will be a matter of filling out the rest of the bench on a year to year basis. This is the most viable way to keep salaries under control. We have seen the knicks, Brooklyn and the heat fill out their bench with a mix of youth and low priced savvy vets.

this will be the most likely route the cavs will follow as AV gets olders and 2nd tour contracts for waiters and irving start to be given out.

The Cavs have a core of guys assembled.

Granted Thompson and or AV may be traded this year but if they are one would expect it to involve a starting small forward or one with the potential to be.

no trades and your looking at a bench with the core of Gee,AV amd gibson which is a pretty solid trio to fill around.

how the Cavs proceed though is going to have alot to do with Thompson and their longe range plans for him.

Either way the bench is a secondary concern.

Id much rather be in this situation than last 2 years of having a solid 2nd unit with a far inferior starting lineup.

the plus 17 was a mesurment of less than 20 minutes of game time.

OKC had 3 starters play more than 30 minutes. The cavs 4. Only Thompson and Waiters had overall positive +/-Nets. When he is Grading the bench he is also including AV,Irving and Gee who all three had negative 10+ nets

Last edited:
the rebuild must be going alright if people are complaining about the bench...

hopefully by this time next year, the biggest problem will be not having an adequate backup for a single position or the lack of a reliable fifth big.

Basically. We're in the perfect position right now. Our starters appear to be able to hang with any team not named Chicago, but our bench makes sure we'll end the season with another top five pick.

Chris Grant, you magnificent bastard!

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."