• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The Job Market w/o College

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bill Walton.

Staffed Member
Reaction score
Considering the network of people we have on this site, I would like to have a conversation about possible routes to take in life to ensure a job. I went to Akron for a couple years and kinda fell into the bad habit of skipping class. The freedom was probably too much for me, but at the same time I've taken classes more recently with no distractions, but still fell into the bad habit. I'm currently enrolled, doing alright in my classes but a few of them I haven't been to in weeks. I'm no dummy, I just tend to kinda lose focus and fall back into bad patterns.

I also have been diagnosed with major depression. Seen so many doctors etc. to try to "fix" me, but the same things keep happening and after a while I think it's finally time to admit that college may not be for me. Luckily for me, I come from a very supportive family who has paid for my college tuition, so college loans and other problems many of you deal with I don't. Sometimes I know I how lucky am I and truly feel like shit for destroying opportunities others would kill for. This past semester I tried to pay for my classes on my own from money I saved. I was hoping that this could possibly motivate me to remain interested in my classes. Halfway through the semester I haven't gone to many of my classes and am barely surviving in others. For some reason, these stupid letter grades don't motivate me.

On the flip side, when I work, I work hard. I earn money, work harder than many others and try to show my worth at work. I pick up extra shifts, make good tips, and really do a great job with customers. the money motivates me. I sit back and see people I know, friends, finding jobs and making 30,000 a year or 50,000, out of college. I look at these people and know I am just as smart as them, just as social, and sometimes more professional. This sometimes hits me hard and really makes me pissed off. It all comes back to how I constantly mess up my situation. Here I am 24 and still not close to a degree, sitting at my parents house, answering the same questions. The situation has become exhausting. I sometimes wish I could just rewind my life and do things the right way, but I can't. I think if I work hard for the next 2 years maybe I can finally graduate. But then reality kicks in and I'm halfway through the semester looking to drop classes. Most of the time I just push them aside and take the F.

I'm sick of it. I'm ready to give up and just go for a job without college. Last year I applied for a job in a union, working as an apprentice, in hopes of getting a job. I made it through a mechanical test, through the interview process, but then was told I didn't make it this year and too apply again next year. That would probably come up again in a few months, so I'll likely go this route again. Basically I'm using this thread to look into some members who have gone down this road. Especially someone who have been successful without college. It's just been really tough on me mentally as of late and i think hearing other people's success could help motivate me. Any suggestions are welcomed. I'm normally more of a joker on here, but this is something I could really use. I'm pretty simple, I'm not looking for 100 thousand a year, I just want a normal life with a normal family. I just want to be like everyone else and to be able to stop answering the same damn questions.

I think you should look into two things:

(1) Sales. Any sales. Who gives a shit...just try it out, even if it's commission only.

(2) Trade school. At this point, you're talking less letter grade and more achievement and skill related reward. Look into specialties that are always hiring, but can't find qualified people. Max has posted about them multiple times.

I just named the areas that are always hiring people. Look into it.

Last edited:
those were my exact answers. Jigo and I agree.

About sales though, there's a reason why they're always hiring. People get burnt the fuck out and your salary is the first thing to get cut if the company is looking to improve their bottom line (at least in my experience).

Last edited:
you could become a manwhore, or a "professional poker player" playing 1/2 NLHE

those were my exact answers. Jigo and I agree.

About sales though, there's a reason why they're always hiring. People get burnt the fuck out and your salary is the first thing to get cut if the company is looking to improve their bottom line (at least in my experience).

Yep. Sales is stressful...but if you're in the right type of sales you can make a lot of money and enjoy what you're doing. And generally...the first sales job is the worst. Gotta be prepared for that.

Fact of the matter is...you could say what you said about almost any job. Jobs suck. :chuckles:

But...a job is a job and money is money.

You should also look into the colleges that offer 8 week classes. When I got my MBA, I was able to take 8 week session, vs 16 week, and went from a low 3's GPA, to a 3.9. Might help with your level of commitment issues. Also, most jobs just require a degree, does not matter in what. So if you get a degree, going into sales could be very lucrative.

Defiantly go the sales route. If you can see money is all that motivates you, then thats what you should aim for. You can go from company to company selling whatever you want, picking up commissions and experience. Some people relate sales to door to door or telemarketing, but B-2-B is a solid route and you can find great opportunities.

You should also look into the colleges that offer 8 week classes. When I got my MBA, I was able to take 8 week session, vs 16 week, and went from a low 3's GPA, to a 3.9. Might help with your level of commitment issues. Also, most jobs just require a degree, does not matter in what. So if you get a degree, going into sales could be very lucrative.

Same here. The 8 weeks keeps the pressure on. My GPA hasnt been less than 3.9 since summer and shortened classes.

I hated b2b. Lying to get past gatekeepers, no thanks

it was remote it service

First sales jobs suck...second sales jobs often suck too. Once you find an industry that you like and start making connections (and that's what really matters), by the third job you can generally choose your industry. You also need to document your achievements.

If you don't have a sales personality- and you'll know if you do- go to vocational school.

Look for cable and satellite tv cal centers.easy gig and pays well

I'm thinking about getting into pharm sales after school to see how that pans out.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."