• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Chris Grant - Cavaliers GM

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
On a scale 1-10 with 10 being the highest what grade would you give Grant???

I give him a 5 due to the awful product we see on a nightly basis and i dont completely trust him with out future picks

On a scale 1-10 with 10 being the highest what grade would you give Grant???

I give him a 5 due to the awful product we see on a nightly basis and i dont completely trust him with out future picks

LeBron? Is that you? Why'd you do it man.....?:(

bc man, the cavs had 7 years to build a quality team around me and couldnt do it...i mean larry hughes, delonte west was bangin my moms it was awful here

Eh...I'd probably go with a 7.

Irving is the real deal, and we only got him because of a trade made by Grant. Of course, that was complete luck, but that's the NBA draft for you. It's all luck.

Waiters looks like he could be a star. He's obviously not as polished as Irving was last year, but neither is any other rookie. Once he learns how to get his shots to fall at the rim he'll be a lot more dangerous.

Zeller looked good up until he broke his face. Remember, he was in the middle of the best game of his short career against a team with a good frontcourt. If nothing else, I can't see Zeller having anything other than a solid career.

Really, the only pick that you can call a failure (right now) is the Thompson pick. And even then, I'm not really willing to call a guy a bust when he hasn't even played 82 games yet and is only 21. We all knew Thompson was a project. Whether he ever evolves into a finished product is the real question. Still, way too early to give up on him.

I agree the product on the court has sucked, but that's rebuilding for you. Would you rather go the Wizards route and bring in a bunch of mediocre veterans that eat up all our cap space (and still be, what, 0-6?)? I'd much rather see Grant stay conservative and watch this team get another top ten (or five) pick this year, and then fill out the roster through free agency and trades either next summer or the summer after.

Plus, this team is actually pretty exciting to watch when Irving, Waiters, and Varejao are on the court. The real problem is how unwatchable it is when they're on the bench.

I recall when everyone was up in arms about the prospect of Grant bringing in guys to keep the team competitive and being a treadmill team. instead he committed to his developing a youth core so now people are crying because he didnt bring in talent that would of assured a playoff spot while he is still accumulating that core.

make up your minds people.

I recall when everyone was up in arms about the prospect of Grant bringing in guys to keep the team competitive and being a treadmill team. instead he committed to his developing a youth core so now people are crying because he didnt bring in talent that would of assured a playoff spot while he is still accumulating that core.

Honestly, the only time I get pissed is when there are five bench guys on the court at once and then the team goes down by 15 or 20 points. That's not on Grant, though. That's just bad coaching and rotations.

8. He has done an excellent job at stock piling picks, and he hit on the most important one (Irving) and looks to have made a nice gamble with Waiters. We could argue about the TT pick all day, but there really wasn't an option available at the time that was obviously better than him.

A lot still remains to be seen, so in this initial phase of the rebuild I think he has done a good job.

I'm not everyone..I get the youth thing to build but as I have said before, you have to have some veteran presence to help these guys.
Also In haven't liked his thrifty use of his later picks which I have complained about.
This team assembled is going to take a lot of licks this year..there's very little talent on the bench.
The frontcourt will not produce much scoring .
Hardly any bigs to use.

I think he is clever as hell for assembling a terrible bench. The starters start at 0-0, the bench loses the lead and the starters have to fight back harder. Really a good situation. Maximizes the time that the starters gwt used to playing 120%, better draft pick cause we still need them, avoids the treadmill while still getting talent.

About a 5. Great at trades, talent evaluation still very much up in the air.

I will say this though, he will get 1 more draft, and if at that point we are still lurking around the lottery/8 seed then it is time for him to go.

I'm neutral for making the playoffs vs. tanking the season. I just like watching the Cavs play.

As for what Grant is doing, I don't think it's horrible. Of the guys who actually produce good results on our team so far (Andy, T.T., Gee, Dion, Kyrie, Tyler, Boobie), only 2 came from a previous regime. I trust Grant because it seems clear he's not interested in being some one-and-done team. He's making a contender for the future. Slowly building the assets while letting the young guys play together, he's not feeling outside pressure because he's convinced the people working with him that this project will take time. But it will go a long way in a couple of years.

So I'd give him at least a 7 or 8 based on his methods (and some mistakes drop him to that point), but the real grade comes when they feel the rebuild is done.

i can't be too critical of Grant at this point, because it's clear the Cavs were not interested in adding talent this offseason...i mean, come on - their "big get" this offseason was CJ friggin Miles. if that doesn't scream "tank mode" i don't know what does. I think they're going to try for one more good draft, then next offseason you will finally see them try to add some pieces...so i don't really think we've seen yet what Grant can do because they are still in tank mode, not in "compete now" mode. they knew before this season that their bench would be terrible. they're aiming for another good draft pick, so i guess i can't really blame Grant for that. it sucks having to watch another year of losing, but the plan will probably work out in the long run. as of now, i give Grant a 7, because it's clear this front office isn't really trying yet.

IF Grant really thought he was forming a competent NBA bench to win now the past few years, he is at a 4. I don't think that was his intention, so I give him an 7. To make an 8, he needed to hit on more D-Leaguers to develop than just Gee.

Id give him an 8 because he's been able to cover a lot of his mistakes by his clever methods in acquiring additional assets. He had some breathing room to miss on thompson because he got the #1 pick in a trade. Even if he doesnt use his 2nd round picks well, he keeps acquiring more which gives him leeway. Even the orlando trade with 2nd round picks looks like a pretty good deal at this point. I also like the way he's managed the cap; we're in prime position to at the very least fill out our roster with competent players after one more year of drafting high, with all of our future stars still on rookie deals.

I think we'll all be able to give him a much more complete grade next year; once we draft a big in next year's draft like it seems we're aiming for, we'll see a much more complete vision of the team that we're going to be in the future.

You don't take reaches in the NBA (Thompson), even if they do in fact pan out (Waiters). Take BPA always. ALWAYS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."