• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Chris Grant - Cavaliers GM

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Status
Not open for further replies.

You don't take reaches in the NBA (Thompson), even if they do in fact pan out (Waiters). Take BPA always. ALWAYS.

I agree 100%. If in 2014, there's an elite PG available with a top five pick you ALWAYS take him.

...even if the PG spot is already filled for years to come with one of the best players in the league. You ALWAYS do it.

I agree 100%. If in 2014, there's an elite PG available with a top five pick you ALWAYS take him.

...even if the PG spot is already filled for years to come with one of the best players in the league. You ALWAYS do it.

Always.

You don't take reaches in the NBA (Thompson), even if they do in fact pan out (Waiters). Take BPA always. ALWAYS.

I'm not sure this makes much sense: if the reach pans out doesn't that mean he was actually the BPA player available?

Grant's done a good job (I'd say a 7 so far):
Huge Positive that frankly overshadows everything else: Baron Davis Deal

Overall
+: Kyrie, I'm a big fan of Waiters and Zeller
+: cap flexibility. This is very underrated, the new CBA is going to be putting a hurt on some teams right when we have a lot of cap space and our best players on rookie deals
+: terrible bench. Great way to keep fan interest while also setting us up to get one last shot at a lottery pick

Meh: Thompson - he's not as bad as some people want to make him out to be but I don't see star potential in him
Meh: JJ for Casspi swap. Casspi has sucked while Hickson seems to be playing better. However, we still have the pick and no one has even tried to make the case that we would have extended Hickson if he hadn't been traded AND we hadn't drafted Thompson

-: trading away second rounders. Would have loved to have a shot at guys like Crowder in the second round

In all fairness, probably the best time to rank Grant will be at the end of 2014. That's where all the suffering and cap flexibility should bear fruit if Grant's plan works out. If we're not a true contender by then: he should be fired.

Last edited:

Tell that to Sam Presti who reached for Russel Westbrook and James Harden...

Thompson might have been a mistake, we won't know for 3-4 more years. The only player I wish he would have taken is Faried, and he would have been a MASSIVE reach at 4.
How can you hate on the guy who took Waiters, knowing he wold have the whole entire fan base against him, when Waiters is turning out to be the third best player of this draft? Waiters might actually be Grant's best pick. Irving was pretty much a no brainer... Waiters was BPA. Zeller looked like he is legit, great pick as well.

I give Grant 7,5, because thompson might never pan out... I am pretty sure he is going to make a splash in free agency this year or next. I am also pretty confident Lebron is coming back, and I am loving it :)
Irving, Waiters, Lebron, Thompson and AV/Zeller = championship

And the identity is revealed. Jigo_oi is actually Kahnnnnnnn!

Did we not take the BPA in Waiters? I've only seen three other rookies that have been as good or arguably better so far. Two of them were drafted ahead and the other is a point guard, which would have been dumb as hell to take.

I give him a 10, if we're just going by so far. He'll ultimately be judged on whether he can get this team to a winning formula.

Kinda surprised by the low grades. He pulled the trade to get Kyrie. He drafted Kyrie(which was not a slam dunk at the time). He's made other serviceable trades, has not killed our cap flexibility. He found a possible gem in Waiters.

He drafted Thompson 4 in a WEAK, WEAK draft. There were not many other sexy choices outside of him. How many others are really lighting it up? Williams the number 2 pick is shooting 33%. Other players like Faried have been surprises, there are always going to be a few like that.

Not giving up on Thompson yet, he is still very young.

The fact we still suck in year two of the rebuild mode is not a big deal (I don't count the season after we lost LeBron).

He's done a pretty good job so far, but he has a lot more work to do. So far, yeah, I'll give him a 10.

The fact he's already found a franchise player, and hasn't killed us with taking on bad salaries is a good enough reason alone to give him a 10.

Last edited:
Id give him an 8 because he's been able to cover a lot of his mistakes by his clever methods in acquiring additional assets. He had some breathing room to miss on thompson because he got the #1 pick in a trade. Even if he doesnt use his 2nd round picks well, he keeps acquiring more which gives him leeway. Even the orlando trade with 2nd round picks looks like a pretty good deal at this point. I also like the way he's managed the cap; we're in prime position to at the very least fill out our roster with competent players after one more year of drafting high, with all of our future stars still on rookie deals.

I think we'll all be able to give him a much more complete grade next year; once we draft a big in next year's draft like it seems we're aiming for, we'll see a much more complete vision of the team that we're going to be in the future.

The bench is awful..thats something he won't be able to cover .Looking ahead, I want tosee what he does when he attempts to make a trade sometime this season.
It'll be a bench player but I want to see what he gets.

So, Pyro wants us to hire David Kahn.

Tell that to Sam Presti who reached for Russel Westbrook and James Harden...

Thompson might have been a mistake, we won't know for 3-4 more years. The only player I wish he would have taken is Faried, and he would have been a MASSIVE reach at 4.
How can you hate on the guy who took Waiters, knowing he wold have the whole entire fan base against him, when Waiters is turning out to be the third best player of this draft? Waiters might actually be Grant's best pick. Irving was pretty much a no brainer... Waiters was BPA. Zeller looked like he is legit, great pick as well.

I give Grant 7,5, because thompson might never pan out... I am pretty sure he is going to make a splash in free agency this year or next. I am also pretty confident Lebron is coming back, and I am loving it :)
Irving, Waiters, Lebron, Thompson and AV/Zeller = championship

Jiggy was making fun of Corey because he says stupid shit like this all the time that contradicts himself. He got caught here

The Cavs thought that they were. Hell, look at the non-reaches of Derrick Williams and Enes Kanter. What the hell have those guys been doing? Thompson doesn't look like he was too far off compared to the rest of the 2011 draft class, and Waiters looks like he was possibly the 2nd best player in the draft thus far and definitely the best scorer. Really out of all of the players drafted after Thompson and Waiters, the only guys I think might end up being better than Thompson are Klay Thompson, Kenneth Faried, and Kawhi Leonard with my biggest regret being Klay Thompson, but he was just as much of a "reach" as Thompson was if not a little more so. But Thompson is still a project and has a lot of potential to become something better, IMO. We'll see what happens there.

Ok, I'm done feeding the troll.

Why does everyone keep saying Waiters was a reach? I call it hard pick after the three obvious BPA in the draft(at the time anyways) were gone.

He was on Ford's top-5 big board. He was flying up on the draft fast, we weren't the only ones to take notice in Waiters. He would have been drafted in the top-8, maybe 6 anyways.

I give him a 10, if we're just going by so far. He'll ultimately be judged on whether he can get this team to a winning formula.

Kind a stun by the low grades. He pulled the trade to get Kyrie. He drafted Kyrie(which was not a slam dunk at the time). He's made other serviceable trades, has not killed our cap flexibility. He found a possible gem in Waiters.

He drafted Thompson 4 in a WEAK, WEAK draft. There were not many other sexy choices outside of him. How many others are really lighting it up? Williams the number 2 pick is shooting 33%. Other players like Faried have been surprises, there are always going to be a few like that.

Not giving up on Thompson yet, he is still very young.

The fact we still suck in year two of the rebuild mode is not a big deal (I don't count the season after we lost LeBron).

He's done a pretty good job so far, but he has a lot more work to do. So far, yeah, I'll give him a 10.

The fact he's already found a franchise player, and hasn't killed us with taking on bad salaries is a good enough reason alone to give him a 10.

Agreed. Once we drafted Kyrie last year, guys like Kemba and Knight were no longer an option (probably the best two guys left) and we all know the uncertainty around Jonas. At this point, about the only guy I would have rather taken at #4 is Leonard, as Kyrie, Waiters, and Leonard would be a great young backcourt and compliment each other really well. I believe Waiters could be a future star and he and Kyrie can be unstoppable on offense once they learn how to play together. I loved the move to get Zeller. It's just unfortunate he got hurt so soon.

Grant started with a bare cupord. He's been able to add some really good young talent over the last two seasons, add future picks, and manage the cap space so the Cavs have a tremendous amount of flexibility in the years to come. People are acting like the guy passed up Michael Jordan to draft Sam Bowie. His only possible misstep at this point was drafting Thompson, and really it's far too early to tell on that. I'd give him an 8.5.

That being said, this offseason will go a long way to defining Grant's legacy in Cleveland as a GM. The Cavs have a ton of cap room, a bunch of picks (possibly a high lotto as well), and some young developing players. I like what Grant's done so far, but that can definitely change at the end of the year.

I'm not sure this makes much sense: if the reach pans out doesn't that mean he was actually the BPA player available?

Grant's done a good job (I'd say a 7 so far):
Huge Positive that frankly overshadows everything else: Baron Davis Deal

Overall
+: Kyrie, I'm a big fan of Waiters and Zeller
+: cap flexibility. This is very underrated, the new CBA is going to be putting a hurt on some teams right when we have a lot of cap space and our best players on rookie deals
+: terrible bench. Great way to keep fan interest while also setting us up to get one last shot at a lottery pick

Meh: Thompson - he's not as bad as some people want to make him out to be but I don't see star potential in him
Meh: JJ for Casspi swap. Casspi has sucked while Hickson seems to be playing better. We still have the pick and no one has even tried to make the case that we would have extended Hickson if hadn't been traded AND we hadn't drafted Thompson
-: trading away second rounders. Would have loved to have a shot at guys like Crowder in the second round

In all fairness, probably the best time to rank Grant will be at the end of 2014. That's where all the suffering and cap flexibility should bear fruit if Grant's plan works out. If we're not a true contender by then: he should be fired.

I agree with most of this. Just wondering what is a contender to you? A team that can make a deep playoff run? A team that has been to the finals? I think "end of 2014" is less than 2 years from now, that sounds a little early to expect us to be fully in contention if we're building through the draft. But if there is only one or two more high draft picks followed by a flurry of FA signings and maybe trades perhaps it's possible. I was thinking this thing could take some time to build. More than a couple years.

I'd give him a 7 or an 8. He's being patient, not spending and talking himself into marginal players in free-agency. He's cut some great deals so far, without getting Baron Davis' toxic contract, we don't have Kyrie Irving.

Without unloading Ramon Sessions (who was gone already) we don't get Tyler Zeller. If he signs guys to outrageous contracts, then we become the Timberwolves and Uncle Drew starts making demands and talking about a future outside of C-town.

We'd be looking at a rebuild of Tristan Thompson and Dion Waiters plus some second round sewage.

Without the foresight to nab Alonzo Gee out of nowhere, we have no perimeter defense.

His only questionable decision was trading Hickson for Casspi. I'm convinced that Hickson would have been a terrible influence on our youth, because Hickson himself was corrupted by LeBron. Hickson does not give consistent effort, and that's not a cool message to be sending to the young bloods. Hickson would have made us marginally better, but again it's a Timberwolves situation, he's good enough to win you a few more games but he's in no way a foundational piece. Hickson might get you to the playoffs, but do you really trust that bone-headed, stone hands, attention deficit having PF? I know I don't. It was better to get rid of him, he'd only be taking playing time away from our young players. What better way to drive the tank than bringing in Casspi?

And for everyone calling for his head on the Thompson pick, get real your opinion is very short sighted. YES, Thompson looks like shit some nights and is stuffed at the rim constantly. I don't expect him to become Rodman, but he can be a serviceable player that can frustrate the other team, rebound, run the floor, catch lobs.... He's probably never going to be great, but nobody in the 2011 draft after him was great besides Kyrie. The jury is still out, and as far as I'm concerned, Varejao is hindering Thompson's impact on the game. I really think Tris-Chin needs to come off the bench at the end of the year. I'd love to see a lineup of Irving, Waiters, Gee, Andy and Zeller starting at the end of the year.

The bench will be Sloan, Boobie, CJ, Samardo and Tristan.

No GM hits on everything. Even the vaunted Sam Presti has made some bad draft picks (Jeff Green, Daniel Orton, that whiteboy country bumpkin center I forget his name)

The real test of Chris Grant will be spending all of that cap space that he has worked diligently to amass. If he can bring in some quality pieces and have another elite draft he'll be right up there with Presti. If he flounders away our cap on crap and blows a couple more draft picks he'll be right up there with Danny Ferry (marginal at best GM).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."