• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Will The Cavs Make a Major Move At The Trade Deadline?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thread: Will The Cavs Make a Major Move At The Trade Deadline?

• Yes

Votes: 47 24.7%
  • No

Votes: 58 30.5%
  • If you consider trading Boobie Gibson for 1st round pick in the 20's major, then yes.

Votes: 85 44.7%

• Total voters
Honestly I can't even answer the question until we start seeing who is available. The Cavs NEED another big move or two, but not for the sake of just making one. We need to see which teams start hurting and who can steal.

Also, Andy is looking more and more untradeable.

I hope I'm not alone thinking trading Andy for just picks(lottery or not) is beyond stupid. Andy can play, Andy is damn good. Andy is good for the young guys. Not just his leadership, but he makes everyone better. He is good for the development of Kyrie, Waiters, Tristan, and whomever else.

If we were to trade Andy, we better get a really good player in return. Draft picks don't guarantee anything. Look at some of the past top-10 drafts, there are loads of players who've busted. You can't just have a team full of rookies and 20 year old players. You become the Sacramento Kings.

I say no, we don't make a major trade. And I'm okay with that. We got plenty of picks to continue building with.

I agree, I would like to see a nice return from Andy, but think the best return in on Irving, and him having someone to work with and develop confidence with. It is not a number you can quantify, but Irving with Andy, is better then Irving with no Andy. I think if we move Andy it would be in the off season, or if we get such a good package we can not say no. Trading Andy has to be a 100% win for Cleveland.

This is exactly right. Trading away the very few good players we have is not good for the development of Kyrie, and Waiters.

The only way trading Andy makes sense if we're getting a good player in return. But just for picks? No, that's not the right move at all.

I hope I'm not alone thinking trading Andy for just picks(lottery or not) is beyond stupid. Andy can play, Andy is damn good. Andy is good for the young guys. Not just his leadership, but he makes everyone better. He is good for the development of Kyrie, Waiters, Tristan, and whomever else.

If we were to trade Andy, we better get a really good player in return. Draft picks don't guarantee anything. Look at some of the past top-10 drafts, there are loads of players who've busted. You can't just have a team full of rookies and 20 year old players. You become the Sacramento Kings.

I say no, we don't make a major trade. And I'm okay with that. We got plenty of picks to continue building with.
First, if the Cavs draft a player who is ultimately a bust it is their own fault. If you can't rely on them to nail a top 10 pick, then honestly I don't know how you can have a ton of confidence in them building a legitimate contender otherwise.

Second, no, you don't become the Kings. Frankly, the Kings situation isn't even comparable. They just randomly draft guys without taking fit, personality, and other aspects like that into account. Of course that won't end well. Their ownership being in shambles doesn't exactly help either, cause it's kinda difficult to win when you're the most unstable organization in the league.

Basically, your post suggested you don't want lottery picks because you don't trust the front office to A) hit on them and/or B) not draft a mismash of idiots that won't have any chemistry.

Aren't Kyrie, Dion, Alonzo, Tristan, Tyler, and next year's #1 enough young assets?

It's not about "enough" assets. It's about talent level. Kyrie is there, Dion is looking like he will be too. But at this point TT, Zeller and Gee are role players. You need them, but they are the glue to a championship team not the foundation blocks. We need at LEAST one more foundation block, hopefully two.

Trading Andy for anything below picks 9-13 is a waste in this upcoming draft. Looking at it right now (know it is early) but many guys drafted at the 20's will never amount to anything beyond the guy at the end of the bench. This is not a deep draft... I would love to get the raptors pick from OKC!

No they will not. Grant isn't the aggressive type, and is more likely to weigh a bunch of options and hold out for what he thinks is a good deal. I don't think that kind of deal will come along.

However, RCF will definitely be going berserk per usual at the deadline...

They can't get fair value for him right now. He's playing out of his mind. At this point you keep him around unless someone blows you away with an offer.

What the perameters of that deal are, I don't know. But Perkins and another mid first round pick? I dunno. But that's why Grant makes the big money. Maybe Andy earned the right to play for a title too. He's been a good soldier.

to win a title?

no.

It's not about "enough" assets. It's about talent level. Kyrie is there, Dion is looking like he will be too. But at this point TT, Zeller and Gee are role players. You need them, but they are the glue to a championship team not the foundation blocks. We need at LEAST one more foundation block, hopefully two.

This is such flawed thinking. We have 5 young players (each at different positions coincidentally) and Andy who is a very good center in his own right. Add to that another young (hopefully very talented) player and you've got yourself enough talent to compete for a championship once that young talent matures.

Not only that, the Cavs will most certainly be signing a free agent either next season or the following, who will be a big part of contention.

We have 2 very good back-court players, a nice 3 man big rotation with AV, TT, and TZ, and a very good defensive SF. If the Cavs sign a big (or SF) and draft the other, this team is 8 talented players deep. (Kyrie, Dion, Alonzo, Tristan, Tyler, Anderson, #1 next year, FA acquisition) not to mention any further minor additions via FA.

Yet we won't be contending? Good grief. We have a putrid bench because we're not going to go out and wreck our cap space on FA who would be worthless to the build of this team.

Now, it's early, so there is plenty of time for teams off to a hot start to implode (think Portland last year), but here's a list of assets that are or might be available at the deadline (based on current sketchy play, bad contracts, full rosters, or just pure guesses). Not saying whether these are assets I'd want or not, but lets start the discussion.

Who of this list would you want? Anyone you'd add on there?

Jeff Green
Al Horford
Josh Smith
Brook Lopez
Carlos Boozer
Wilson Chandler
Danny Granger
Roy Hibbert?
DeAndre Jordan
Eric Bledsoe
Pau Gasol
Amare Stoudemire
Toronto 1st rounder via OKC
Andrew Bynum
LaMarcus Aldridge
DeMarcus Cousins
Jason Thompson
Tyreke Evans
Paul Milsap
Al Jefferson

First, if the Cavs draft a player who is ultimately a bust it is their own fault. If you can't rely on them to nail a top 10 pick, then honestly I don't know how you can have a ton of confidence in them building a legitimate contender otherwise.

Second, no, you don't become the Kings. Frankly, the Kings situation isn't even comparable. They just randomly draft guys without taking fit, personality, and other aspects like that into account. Of course that won't end well. Their ownership being in shambles doesn't exactly help either, cause it's kinda difficult to win when you're the most unstable organization in the league.

Basically, your post suggested you don't want lottery picks because you don't trust the front office to A) hit on them and/or B) not draft a mismash of idiots that won't have any chemistry.

To me, C) would be the biggest one, and that is sometimes drafts are just weak. So many on here argue that TT's pick wasn't bad just because there wasn't a whole lot to choose from. Yes, we got lucky with the KI ping pong ball, but the overall weakness of that draft is probably the only reason the LAC's didn't protect it.

I hate to say it, but it looks like this draft will be fairly weak, as well. The further a team drifts from the top, it can start getting ugly real quick like.

This is such flawed thinking. We have 5 young players (each at different positions coincidentally) and Andy who is a very good center in his own right. Add to that another young (hopefully very talented) player and you've got yourself enough talent to compete for a championship once that young talent matures.

Not only that, the Cavs will most certainly be signing a free agent either next season or the following, who will be a big part of contention.

We have 2 very good back-court players, a nice 3 man big rotation with AV, TT, and TZ, and a very good defensive SF. If the Cavs sign a big (or SF) and draft the other, this team is 8 talented players deep. (Kyrie, Dion, Alonzo, Tristan, Tyler, Anderson, #1 next year, FA acquisition) not to mention any further minor additions via FA.

Yet we won't be contending? Good grief. We have a putrid bench because we're not going to go out and wreck our cap space on FA who would be worthless to the build of this team.

You think if we add one more young player we will have enough talent for a championship? Thats crazy. We are like 10-20 moves + a bunch of luck + 4 years away from a championship.

Just because they are young and play different positions does not mean they are enough to contend. Not whatsoever. Half of them have shown to be nothing more than bench/role players, and one of two significant bright spots is still only 8 games into his career (ie: he could be playing above his head atm).

Anderson Varejao is 30 years old. I'm sorry, but he is not going to be able to play at a high level in 2-3 years. That is how long it is going to take the Cavs to actually contend. Making the playoffs is not contending, and they have a long ways to go before they can even think about the ECF/Finals. And that is when they'd START contending.

Free agency is not and has never been an option to add a significant piece for the Cavs. Yes, they might get a decent role player. They need far more than a decent role player, though.

Now, it's early, so there is plenty of time for teams off to a hot start to implode (think Portland last year), but here's a list of assets that are or might be available at the deadline (based on current sketchy play, bad contracts, full rosters, or just pure guesses). Not saying whether these are assets I'd want or not, but lets start the discussion.

Who of this list would you want? Anyone you'd add on there?

Jeff Green
Al Horford
Josh Smith
Brook Lopez
Carlos Boozer
Wilson Chandler
Danny Granger
Roy Hibbert?
DeAndre Jordan
Eric Bledsoe
Pau Gasol
Amare Stoudemire
Toronto 1st rounder via OKC
Andrew Bynum
LaMarcus Aldridge
DeMarcus Cousins
Jason Thompson
Tyreke Evans
Paul Milsap
Al Jefferson
Horford, TOR 1st, Cousins, maybe Aldridge...and....eh? I think the Toronto pick is the only one that is realistically attainable, though.

The problem with a lot of those guys is that they are either old (Amare, Pau, Boozer), bad/overpaid (Green, Thompson, Chandler), or the #1 on their current team which results in a super high asking price via trade (Cousins, Aldridge). The remaining guys have lot of red flags (Bynum and injuries, Jefferson and injuries/defense, Evans and being a headcase chucker, etc.

To me, C) would be the biggest one, and that is sometimes drafts are just weak. So many on here argue that TT's pick wasn't bad just because there wasn't a whole lot to choose from. Yes, we got lucky with the KI ping pong ball, but the overall weakness of that draft is probably the only reason the LAC's didn't protect it.

I hate to say it, but it looks like this draft will be fairly weak, as well. The further a team drifts from the top, it can start getting ugly real quick like.
That is definitely true. But that's sorta the point of acquiring top 10 picks whenever possible. Even in weaker drafts, you'll still have your pick of the group excluding the small 'x' number of players picked before your spot.

Like with TT. Yes, the draft was weaker. But they could've picked anyone except Kanter and Williams. They could've picked K. Thompson, Faried, either Morris, Leonard, Biyombo, Jonas, etc. They chose Thompson over those guys, and each one that becomes better than TT is another missed opportunity and mistake by the team.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."