• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Danny Green and Shannon Brown

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stark

The Winds of Winter
Reaction score
I've been watching these guys play the last few years, and I really wish that the Cavaliers would of hung on to both of them.

Danny Green is the starting small forward (a position that we are just awful at) for the San Antonio Spurs, and is putting up 11.6 PPG, 1.1 SPG, while shooting 50% from the field, 47% from three point range, and 86% from the line. Also note that he is not a main scoring option, behind players such as Tony Parker, Tim Duncan, and Manu Ginobili.

A starting lineup of Irving-Waiters-Green-Thompson-Varejao looks nice, especially with Gee being able to come off of the bench, which also takes away minutes from Miles/Walton/Casspi, which is always a plus.

Shannon Brown is now on the Phoenix Suns. Most of you probably remember he existed because of the huge run that he led that ended up beating us around a week ago in Phoenix.

Brown is now 26 years of age, and is putting up 14.4 PPG and is shooting 44% from three point range. Brown has been around in the league, and is also extremely athletic, and is insta-energy when he is on the court. Brown also is a good foul shooter, at 82% this year.

If the Cavs had hung on to both of these two (not sure if they were ever involved with trades; I'm pretty sure we let both of them walk), our young core would be even more powerful and the potential would be much higher for the group.

A lineup of Irving-Brown-Green-Thompson-Varejao with Waiters, Gee, Zeller, and Gibson coming off the bench is not terrible. Still not a super-contender, but it would be way better than what we currently have.

Always thought DG was going to be good. Dont know what the fuck we were thinking. Always played with effort and showed flashes of talent in his extremely limited Mike Brown-ass minutes.

Always thought DG was going to be good. Dont know what the fuck we were thinking. Always played with effort and showed flashes of talent in his extremely limited Mike Brown-ass minutes.

Lots of people thought that. But it's not like the Cavs were the last team to waive him. The Spurs waived him once after the Cavs let him go. And they almost waived him again last December before the switch went on for the kid.

We cut Green in favor of Jawad Williams and Jamario Moon on a rebuilding year. Green will never be a stud, but Grant made a very poor choice. Maybe we should hold on to our 2nd round picks this year, I am sure one of those selections will be a hell of a lot better then Luke Walton or Omri Casspi.

Always thought both of these guys were solid players and wish we kept them. Shit I remember watching them both in college.

The problem is that he DID NOT always play with effort. It's the reason he got cut by San Antonio once and almost twice. It took cuts from multiple teams to get that light bulb to go off. Who knows if it ever would have if those events had not happened. Everyone here talks about how great San Antonio is at developing players and they almost threw in the towel with him.

Danny Green was NOT good in Cleveland. I was a huge proponent of drafting him.. was thrilled when we did.. but his shot looked awful.. his defense was terrible .. and he just didn't look like an NBA player.. and I think he would be out of the league had he not been picked up by the Spurs.

I was a HUGE Shannon Brown fan while here.. Brown always had him in the dog house.. can't blame him he looked terrible in the few minutes he did play offensively and defensively. Years ago.. when LeBron went down for 11 games with his ring finger "injury" :rolleyes: and Larry and Sasha were on the IR as well for a portion of the 11 games, Shannon and Boobie played very well together.. we went 0-11.. but Shannon had multiple double digit games.. dominated against Charlotte with 20+.

Actually found the dunk from that game.. can't believe this was 5 years ago:

[video=youtube;-K-X-OxMJz8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K-X-OxMJz8[/video]

Anyways, If I remember correctly, he stayed in the starting line up after LeBron came back.. eventually played himself out of the rotation as Devin Brown took his spot.. Cavs declined his option.. sent him packing to Chicago where he was terrible.. they declined to offer him a contract and he took an offer from the Bobcats.. he clashed with everyone there.. asking one of the coaches "why do you hate me?" or something along those lines.. eventually traded to the Lakers soon after and it just clicked.

Both guys were put in the right situation at the right time.. I don't think either would be the player they are now here in Cleveland.. so there really is not a whole lot of substance to this.

These two and players like them at least prove that yes you can find talent and contributing players in the late 1st round and in the 2nd round.
Green wasn't that good while he was here and word was he had a terrible training camp before he was cut. Might be a player who needed to get cut to work on his game and develop more. He's also in a great situation for himself too.
Looking back now though maybe it would have made sense to hold onto Green a little longer and keep him over undrafted players like Manny Harris.

I wonder how they would fare if they were part of our second unit.
It's easier to play when you are surrounded by solid veteran players, and in Green's case, part of a well-oiled system.

shannon brown is terrible...

I wonder how they would fare if they were part of our second unit.
It's easier to play when you are surrounded by solid veteran players, and in Green's case, part of a well-oiled system.

Edit

It's easier to play when you are surrounded by solid veteran players when you are bad. Good players pave their own way.

shannon brown is terrible...

Charles-Barkley.jpg

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8G0wPTUZvak" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Danny Green's greatest contribution to the Cavs was to loosen up Lebron. :06 ...classic.

These two and players like them at least prove that yes you can find talent and contributing players in the late 1st round and in the 2nd round.

You certainly can, but will they be that for the team that drafted them? And is simply waiting longer, enough? Or do we somehow have to change our player development? Or is it a league problem? A side effect of dishing out million dollar guaranteed contracts like they're Big Macs.

The new CBA is going to make it all the more prohibitive to mess around - and yet GMs are still dishing out the candy.

For instance, JJ Hickson got $4m from Portland, so even if we wanted to hold on to him, would we have been willing to match that offer just to see if things eventually clicked for him? Instead, we're spending the same $4m on Tristan Thompson and giving all the minutes that used to go to JJ to him.

Danny Green reportedly had a much better locker room demeanor than Shannon Brown.

I remember thinking that Brown was going to be the one with his head on straight. His father was a cop and he had that extra gear/physique that so few players have. I thought he was the future at shooting guard. But, his travels tell the story of Shannon Brown.

He has issues playing within the roles his coaches give him. He has all the tools to be a shut-down defender, but he really never put in the work to be better defensively. He never found his spots in an offense as a combo player. He painted himself into a corner as an offensive spark off the bench. If he listened to coaches a little more, he would have been the starting guard along with Kobe in LA's triangle or the shooting guard next to Derrick Rose. He had great opportunities...

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."