• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

This survey cannot be serious

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Just a little bit of talking points and food for thought

I would bet my life savings on there being extra terrestrial life in the universe. It is almost an impossibility for there not to be. The question is, what type of lifeform is it? Is it biological? Is it self aware? Is it just a bacteria of some sort? Who knows.

Now the question posed here assumes some type of sentient life that has visited Earth in the recent past. I would bet my life savings against it. Let me give you guys a good mental experiment on just how difficult it would be to locate life on Earth. Go to a beach and paint one grain of sand orange. Bury it and leave. Find Earth would be harder than a friend finding that orange grain of sand.

And that is just referencing the spatial improbability. There is also the temporal improbability. The universe is extremely old, and we are extremely young. Our presence has been but a blink of an eye in the grand scheme of things. So now take that orange grain of sand, and have your friend try and find it. However, this time the grain of sand is only orange for less than one second during the course of the day. Pretty difficult proposition isn't it?

imagine just one civilization in the milky way that is 1 billion years ahead of us. That's a billion years to catalog every star and planet in the milky way (200 billion or so), find the ones with evidence of life (i.e. search for evidence of atmospheric oxygen, which is caused by life and which earth has had for 3 billion years - considerably longer than the blink of an eye), and then send probes to those planets.

It's reasonable to think that there is life in some small percentage of planets in the universe.

It's also reasonable to think that some small percentage of those planets have civilizations more advanced than we are. Perhaps by billions of years (the universe is about 9 billion years older than earth).

We have actually now sent a ship outside of our solar system (voyager 1) as well as multiple ships that have landed on other planets. if we don't destroy ourselves, how far will ships originating from earth be able to travel a thousand years from now? Or a million years from now? How about a billion years from now? Over the next billion years, isn't it reasonable to think ships from earth will visit other planets where there is life?

How can you be so certain that we haven't been visited by any civilization that is vastly more technologically advanced than we are. All it takes is one time for the 17% to be wrong.

[video=youtube;_w5JqQLqqTc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w5JqQLqqTc[/video]

caf, I think along the same lines in terms of what kind of life is out there. Some type of bacteria seems very, very likely to me. And technically it would be an "alien."

Shut the fuck up, goddamnit.

If there is alien bacteria on some distant world, I'm willing to bet there is more evolved extraterrestrials somewhere, too.

imagine just one civilization in the milky way that is 1 billion years ahead of us. That's a billion years to catalog every star and planet in the milky way (200 billion or so), find the ones with evidence of life (i.e. search for evidence of atmospheric oxygen, which is caused by life and which earth has had for 3 billion years - considerably longer than the blink of an eye), and then send probes to those planets.

I see your point, but you are making a lot of assumptions. The odds are that life exists elsewhere is high, but it is still a small percentage based on the vastness of the universe. The odds that this life is sentient is much much much smaller. Which I agree with. The part I don't agree with is you assuming other sentient life exists in the milky way. You're basically starting your search right next to my orange grain of sand and ignoring the rest of the beach (the vastness of space) based on your starting location.

There are other logistics that come into play also, for instance, why does a oxygen atmosphere dictate life? Just because our atmosphere contains oxygen? We adapted to our environment. The sun radiates high amounts of visible light. Life could have formed in a region with low levels of visible light and instead 'sees' in the UV spectrum. A human hears in the 20hz-48khz range. We adapted. Whats to say that life was originated in a much different environment?

Just because we were generated in this environment doesn't mean life can't exists in a different one. Therefore monitoring for signs of our life is a much different proposition from monitoring for signs of life itself.

I see your point, but you are making a lot of assumptions. The odds are that life exists elsewhere is high, but it is still a small percentage based on the vastness of the universe. The odds that this life is sentient is much much much smaller. Which I agree with. The part I don't agree with is you assuming other sentient life exists in the milky way. You're basically starting your search right next to my orange grain of sand and ignoring the rest of the beach (the vastness of space) based on your starting location.

There are other logistics that come into play also, for instance, why does a oxygen atmosphere dictate life? Just because our atmosphere contains oxygen? We adapted to our environment. The sun radiates high amounts of visible light. Life could have formed in a region with low levels of visible light and instead 'sees' in the UV spectrum. A human hears in the 20hz-48khz range. We adapted. Whats to say that life was originated in a much different environment?

Just because we were generated in this environment doesn't mean life can't exists in a different one. Therefore monitoring for signs of our life is a much different proposition from monitoring for signs of life itself.

I agree with you for the most part. But you have to remember that you are basis some of this theory that the other life forms are technologically and physiologically similar. They may be 10000 times more advanced than us. Look at how much we've learned about the universe in just the past 100 years? Take that knowledge that we've learned and multiply it over the course of hundreds of thousands of years or even millions of years and you can theoretically think it's possible that another life form far advanced then us can know and are capable of doing much more than us.

Your grain of sand analogy works in concept, but let's say instead of a grain of sand you are looking for a dime on a beach. It is pretty unlikely you will find that dime if you are looking with your eyes and digging with your hands. But what if you have a metal detector? Still less likely, but your odds improve greatly. What if you have a super magnet? You are more likely to find that dime. We're still digging with our hands while advanced life forms may have 100 super magnets.

certainly there could be other forms of life that don't require atmospheric oxygen, but finding atmospheric oxygen seems a reasonable filter to determine planets to visit since life (via photosynthesis) produces atmospheric oxygen where there otherwise wouldn't be any. If I was looking for candidate planets to send spaceships to, I'd first use telescopes to find planets with atmospheric oxygen. All it takes is 1 planet (out of 200 billion stars or so stars) with a civilization more advanced than ours for there to be a civilization capable of finding life on earth. It doesn't even have to be a billion years more advance, but certainly if it were that is well more than enough time to locate life on earth.

I agree with you for the most part. But you have to remember that you are basis some of this theory that the other life forms are technologically and physiologically similar. They may be 10000 times more advanced than us. Look at how much we've learned about the universe in just the past 100 years? Take that knowledge that we've learned and multiply it over the course of hundreds of thousands of years or even millions of years and you can theoretically think it's possible that another life form far advanced then us can know and are capable of doing much more than us.

Your grain of sand analogy works in concept, but let's say instead of a grain of sand you are looking for a dime on a beach. It is pretty unlikely you will find that dime if you are looking with your eyes and digging with your hands. But what if you have a metal detector? Still less likely, but your odds improve greatly. What if you have a super magnet? You are more likely to find that dime. We're still digging with our hands while advanced life forms may have 100 super magnets.

I completely agree. Spatial travel to us is still in it's infancy (i.e. traveling less than the speed of light). I also agree that we can not even fathom the technology another civilization has. But the lack of evidence is what makes me believe extrateresstrial live hasn't visited earth during our stay.

For instance, what is the greatest threat to human extinction? No matter how advanced our civilization gets, no matter how many asteroids we can deflect, we are directly linked to the lives of our sun and Earth. We are already over populated and that over population is increasing. That is one of the inherent instincts of life (to live and propagate).

It seems extremely silly to me that a culture would come to Earth that has numerous resources and leave. Regardless of how alien life evolved, the Earth contains a large variety of elements in quite a large abundance. For another civilization to not utilize these materials for their own benefit after discovering them makes little to no sense what-so-ever. For human life to continue we must find another hospitable planet with a variety of resources. If we found another Earth-like planet that we could harvest it's resources... we would.

What makes more sense, a superior race visiting Earth and allowing inferior beings squander numerous valuable resources... or, that we were never actually visited at all?

I'm convinced that there is just a certain segment of the population that always votes for the ridiculous answer on these polls. Essentially 50% of the population sits down and goes:

Aliens? Real and among us. See OP.
Evolution? Fake and full of holes. http://www.gallup.com/poll/21814/evolution-creationism-intelligent-design.aspx
Global warming? global BULLSH*T! http://www.gallup.com/poll/153608/global-warming-views-steady-despite-warm-winter.aspx
Obama's religion? Don't know/Muslim http://www.gallup.com/poll/155315/Many-Americans-Cant-Name-Obamas-Religion.aspx

And perhaps the scariest poll in my mind is when people are asked whether they would vote for an otherwise well qualified candidate who was ___, what is the most hated group? Blacks? Psh, only 4%. Gays? No, only a mere 30%. Muslim? Psh, whatevs. No, the greatest feared group is Athiests at 43%. http://www.gallup.com/poll/155285/Atheists-Muslims-Bias-Presidential-Candidates.aspx

I completely agree. Spatial travel to us is still in it's infancy (i.e. traveling less than the speed of light). I also agree that we can not even fathom the technology another civilization has. But the lack of evidence is what makes me believe extrateresstrial live hasn't visited earth during our stay.

For instance, what is the greatest threat to human extinction? No matter how advanced our civilization gets, no matter how many asteroids we can deflect, we are directly linked to the lives of our sun and Earth. We are already over populated and that over population is increasing. That is one of the inherent instincts of life (to live and propagate).

It seems extremely silly to me that a culture would come to Earth that has numerous resources and leave. Regardless of how alien life evolved, the Earth contains a large variety of elements in quite a large abundance. For another civilization to not utilize these materials for their own benefit after discovering them makes little to no sense what-so-ever. For human life to continue we must find another hospitable planet with a variety of resources. If we found another Earth-like planet that we could harvest it's resources... we would.

What makes more sense, a superior race visiting Earth and allowing inferior beings squander numerous valuable resources... or, that we were never actually visited at all?

There are more than enough lifeless planets with resources for aliens to have to take what we have. If we find life on a couple of dozen of the trillions of planets in the Milky Way, are we going to harm those planets?

Note that I am not trying to say we have to have had visitors from other planets, but am simply trying to show it is reasonably possible.

Last edited:
How did they lift those blocks at the Temple of Jupiter in Lebanon? Three of the blocks are at least 1,000 tons, one is over 1,200 tons....that's 240,000 lbs. We have nothing today that can lift that.

He knows how...

im-not-saying-its-aliens-but-its-aliens.jpg

According to Dan Akroyd, aliens already live amongst us, possibly disguised as humans :chuckles:
Actually, this explains a lot about the lack of common sense in the world today.

How did they lift those blocks at the Temple of Jupiter in Lebanon? Three of the blocks are at least 1,000 tons, one is over 1,200 tons....that's 240,000 lbs. We have nothing today that can lift that.

He knows how...

im-not-saying-its-aliens-but-its-aliens.jpg

Psh! This man and his juice can!

BcASn.png

Sorry Dave, I had to! :chuckles:

Aliens are people from the future trying to figure out what happened in the past. More evolved humans with big heads and large screen adapted eyes. All of this is a simulation to figure out the past. We are here to figure out what the hell happened. Still uncleAr

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."