• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

NCAA player drops 138 points

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tlyons

Gold Star Member
Reaction score
Jack Taylor scores 138*points

This Video is not authorized for playback on this device.
Division III Guard Nets 138 Points For Scoring Mark

After a poor shooting weekend, Grinnell point guard Jack Taylor was given the green light to shoot his way out of a slump.

It only took 108 shots for Taylor to make a mockery of the college basketball record books.

Taylor scored an NCAA-record 138 points in a 179-104 win over Faith Baptist Bible. He played 36 minutes.

"I gotta thank the man upstairs," Taylor told ESPN.com. "I was able to multiply my talents tonight."

Brennan: How Does This Happen?

When you ask yourself how some DIII kid can score 138 points, coach David Arseneault's crazy system is a good place to start, writes Eamonn Brennan. Blog

Bevo Francis of Rio Grande held the NCAA scoring record with 113 points against Hillsdale in 1954. In 1953, Francis had 116 against Ashland Junior College. Frank Selvy is the only other player to reach triple figures, scoring 100 points for Division I Furman against Newberry in 1954.

The previous Grinnell record was 89 by Griffin Lentsch last Nov. 19 against Principia.

Taylor, a 5-foot-10, 170-pound sophomore, said he entered the locker room at halftime under the assumption he'd racked up 30 points in the first half. But when head coach David Arseneault whipped out the first-half stat sheet, he realized he was mistaken.

"Coach walked in with a stat sheet and said I had 58," Taylor said. "You could see the team's eyes light up."

By the end of the night, Taylor was 52-for-108 (27-for-71 from the 3-point line) and he'd established a new collegiate record.

"There was a point during the second half where I hit a number of threes in a row -- maybe seven or eight -- I felt like anything I threw up was going in," Taylor said. "I've been in the zone before but I've never taken so many shots."

Taylor wasn't the only star of the game. Faith Baptist Bible's David Larson scored 70 points (34-for-44). But the two didn't discuss their parallel shooting success during the game, Taylor said.

"We definitely made it a focus to stop him," he said. "There wasn't any interaction."

Under Arseneault, the Pioneers press and shoot 3s like nobody else in the country in any level. They've led the nation in scoring for 17 of the past 19 seasons while ranking first nationally in 3-point shooting for the 15 of those past 19 years. But none of them have had a night quite like Taylor -- who never saw this coming.

Taylor said his previous scoring high at any level was a 48-point effort for Black River Falls High School in Black River Falls, Wis.

Taylor transferred to Grinnell after competing for Wisconsin-La Crosse last season. He said he liked Arseneault's system.

Before Tuesday's mind-boggling performance, Taylor said he worked on his shot more than he had in the past. On Sunday and Monday, Taylor said, he took a "couple hundred" shots before practice. Taylor had made just 11 of 41 shots entering Tuesday's game, struggles that inspired those extra reps.

It all paid off against Faith Baptist Bible.

"I was able to, I guess, find my shot again," Taylor said.

That's clearly an understatement.

Taylor credited his teammates for their "unselfishness" throughout the record-setting outing. He said he was proud that his mother, father and girlfriend, who all traveled from Wisconsin, saw the game.

They, like him, were in shock.

"I don't think it's settled in yet," he said.

Carmelo Anthony and the New York Knicks were amazed by the feat when they heard about it after their victory in New Orleans.

"I never heard of nothing like that. That's like a video game," Anthony said, an incredulous look on his face. "How can you shoot 100 times, though?"

He joked that from now on when someone asks if he's taking too many shots, he'll mention "that someone shot it 108 times."

Raymond Felton also was astounded by the 108 shots.

"His elbow has got to be sore," Felton said.

Information from ESPN.com's Myron Medcalf and The Associated Press was used in this report.

What a fucking ball hog.

If I was one of the other 4 players on the team I wouldn't have come down the floor on offense. Unless the team wanted him to do this for some specific reason it's ridiculous. Obviously the team was a turd and instead of him dropping 138 he could have helped his teammates score in the 20s and 30s.

If I was one of the other 4 players on the team I wouldn't have come down the floor on offense. Unless the team wanted him to do this for some specific reason it's ridiculous. Obviously the team was a turd and instead of him dropping 138 he could have helped his teammates score in the 20s and 30s.

He said on SC that his teammates kept telling him they'll feed him the ball

Having not watched the game or known any of the circumstances surrounding the performance, seems like you're getting worked up over nothing.

Eh not worked up just seems kinda lame to shoot over 100 times in a "team" game. I'm not pounding my fist on the table just saying personally I'd rather have my teammates scoring big numbers with me.

He said on SC that his teammates kept telling him they'll feed him the ball

At what point during his performance was this stated? After he scored 40? 50? 100? I don't think it was all that sweet... It isn't like he was shooting an unbelievable percentage.. He just hogged the ball. Meh.

At what point during his performance was this stated? After he scored 40? 50? 100? I don't think it was all that sweet... It isn't like he was shooting an unbelievable percentage.. He just hogged the ball. Meh.

From what he said it was during halftime when he had 58 points

Such haters. Yeah he took 108 shots, but the guy scored 138 points on almost 48% from the field and 38% from three. Good for him.

Plus he's just about exactly my size, the little fucker.

The one thing that makes this less impressive is that Faith Baptist college enrollment is restricted solely to double amputees.

Looks like it had less to do with the basketball and more to do with the shameless promotion of the school by its head coach.

http://m.deadspin.com/5962514/?utm_...source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

This is just like gaming the tax system. If it's legal and it works...why not do it? I respect the coaches strategy if it's winning him games and not against the rules.

I'm not in love with the idea of kids passing up wide-open layups in order to get it to the hot player, but three points is better than two.

Not only that...but why is the kid getting such a hard time about his percentages? 48% from the field and 38% from three are both higher than a lot of teams put up any given night in some games.

[video=youtube_share;l1jnDuPudz4]http://youtu.be/l1jnDuPudz4[/video]

I would of put him on his ass until I fouled out... The fuck?? You're not embarrassing me on the court. Then it clicked, he played against some church kids who are taught to play soft I suppose.

Just ridiculous. I have a feeling that there will be copycats out there due to the amount of national coverage.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."