• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

NCAA player drops 138 points

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
this is awesome and someone needs to post "haters going to hate" picture/GIF.

the Grinell coach adapting to this style of play in my opinion gets mad props. basically 3's>2's, and more shots>less shots. They win games, they score points, they have fun. most of all the only way to beat them is to adapt to their style of play. you can hate on that all you want to be its cool.

Grinnel's system is a joke. I attended D3 basketball and if any team knows how to beat a press and slow the game way down you beat them easy. However their entire system is set up so they don't play defense.

Every minute or 2 they swap out every player except the one they targeted to get the record. That player doesn't do much on defense and very rarely crosses half court. Their whole point is to run up the score just because they can.

It would be the equal of a football team that plays no huddle and doesn't sub in and runs a very quick strike offense. The whole point of the scheme is to go out and play a YMCA style of basketball. They take quick shots to keep putting up shots. They would rather their opponents score quickly and they can then try to outscore them.

the Grinell coach adapting to this style of play in my opinion gets mad props. basically 3's>2's, and more shots>less shots. They win games, they score points, they have fun. most of all the only way to beat them is to adapt to their style of play. you can hate on that all you want to be its cool.

The Warriors never won anything past the first round of the playoffs.

This style had little to do with winning the game, they were supposedly the much better team.

But letting the other team score so one kid can chuck up record numbers? Unimpressive.

The kid on the other team who had 70 got them from uncontested layups. Having a gimmick system to win you games is one thing. Basically letting the other team score and handing the ball to the same kid repeatedly with the intent of breaking a record is completely different. Especially since they targeted a team who that isn't in the NCAA or the NAIA. They're freaking D2 in the National Christian College Athletic Association.

This is the equivalent of Ricky Davis throwing the ball off his own backboard.

If you want to get your panties in a bunch over the head coach's strategy, fine by me. I do think it's a little unfair to hate on Taylor though. He was just doing what was asked of him and anyway you look at it, scoring 138 points(with good shooting numbers to boot) at any level is pretty damn impressive. I don't get the "it's a team game" angle either. That works both ways. For Taylor and his teammates. If a guy is hitting shots like that, sometimes as a teammate the best thing you can do is just get out of the way. If he had good teammates I'm sure they were very proud of him.

Last edited:
The strategy wasn't to win the game, it was to break the record.

I can't believe people actually think this had something to do with the kid getting hot or something.

The strategy wasn't to win the game, it was to break the record.

I can't believe people actually think this had something to do with the kid getting hot or something.

Say what you want, he still had to make all those shots.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."