• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2013 MLB Hall of Fame Ballot

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stark

The Winds of Winter
Reaction score
Some HUGE names on here, although I doubt many of the big names actually get in.

From the Tribe:

Kenny Lofton is the only one with a serious chance in my mind, as the former Tribe centerfielder is hitting the ballot for the first time this year.

Sandy Alomar Jr. and Jose Mesa are also on the ballot for their first run, but it's very unlikely either will get in.

Of this list, I'd personally give votes to: Jeff Bagwell, Edgar Martinez, Fred McGriff, Don Mattingly, Craig Biggio, Kenny Lofton, Mike Piazza, and Curt Schilling.

Jack Morris
Jeff Bagwell
Lee Smith
Tim Raines
Alan Trammell
Edgar Martínez
Fred McGriff
Larry Walker
Mark McGwire
Don Mattingly
Dale Murphy
Rafael Palmeiro
Bernie Williams
Sandy Alomar, Jr.
Craig Biggio
Barry Bonds
Jeff Cirillo
Royce Clayton
Roger Clemens
Jeff Conine
Steve Finley
Julio Franco
Shawn Green
Roberto Hernández
Ryan Klesko
Kenny Lofton
José Mesa
Mike Piazza
Reggie Sanders
Curt Schilling
Aaron Sele
Sammy Sosa
Mike Stanton
Todd Walker
David Wells
Rondell White
Woody Williams

Also eligible for inclusion this year, but not featured on the ballot was former Tribe closer Bob Wickman.

For Bonds, Sosa, and Clemens...I'm on pins and needles.....

Barry Bonds was a hall of famer back in 1997 before he ballooned up... Same with Clemens...

Barry Bonds is a hall of fame caliber player and honestly if you're gonna count all his records and stats and awards then he should be in the hall of fame...

Here's the thing: Baseball Writers Association of America controls the Baseball HOF. They don't make as much as broadcasters, managers, or players. This is their thing, and honestly they have done a pretty decent job of making the Hall of Fame perhaps the greatest achievement in sports. If you were a good pro football player and made some trips to Hawaii, you have a great shot at the Hall. In basketball, if you were on a few winning teams you are probably getting in. But baseball has this drawn out torturous process which kind of adds to the intrigue.

The negatives are numerous. The most glaring issue I see is that baseball writer gets into the HOF every year, and yet some years we don't see any players make the cut. I'm just doing the math over here, but there are far more players than beat writers... and people actually care about the players. Seems like it should be harder for a writer to make it in than a player.

I think the BWAA have to open the voting up to more people with more diverse experiences, and eventually they will have to. Broadcasters should be voting. I would like to see current and former managers voting. Maybe a that point you will see more steroid era players get in.

On a serious note: Bonds, Bagwell, Morris, Lee Smith, Schilling and Raines are locks in my mind. Bonds probably won't get in.

Mattingly, McGriff, Dale Murphy, David Wells make the hall of very good. Clemens had a great run from '86-'92...fell off a bit..then signed with Toronto in 1997 and refound himself (probably synthetically). Edgar Martinez will be an interesting case because he would be the 1st full time DH to be considered for the hall. 1992 was his last year predominantly in the field and he played until 2004.

Another question for you guys who are baseball fans.....what if Barry Bonds doesn't break the single season home run record in 2001, just 3 years after McGwire breaks Maris' record? Let's say Bonds comes close (67, 68) in a 2-3 year stretch (like Sosa). Does a Mitchell report happen? Would there still be widespread steroid use in baseball today? I've always thought Bonds breaking the record too quickly caused the inquires to what was going on in the game to happen.

I hope Schilling makes it. One of my favorite pitchers ever.

Roids or not Bonds was one of the greatest players of all time. And the dude had an eye like no other.

Steroids or not McGwire saved baseball in 1998 so he should be a HOFer in my book. Along with Sosa, Bonds, Clemens....they made baseball fun to watch, yeah what they did is frowned upon but those writers I bet loved writing about those players

Barry Bonds was a hall of famer back in 1997 while he was ballooning up... Same with Clemens...

Fixed. I'm sure he started way before 1997.

Fixed. I'm sure he started way before 1997.

If you want to blame steroids for his huge home run totals, then it was a few years after 1997 seeing how his totals were always consistent until 2000 and on.

With Bonds and the whole steroid thing, he still hit for average and steroids don't have much with you hitting for an average. In 04' Bonds was 40, he still .362 in 147 games, that's pretty damn good. He deserves the HOF.

All the exposed juicers can stay out. They already got their money, their in stant gratification, and like someone already noted, their numbers are still in the record books. They embarassed the game, along with the players union and owners, and yes, their punishment is they never get a special day all to themselves. I think 20 years of praise and massive contracts should be enough to soothe the wound of not being elected for unrepentant cheats like Bonds and Clemens. Let us not forget, their denials also included embarassing federal trials because these men felt it necessary to lie about their drug use to a federal court. I find it rather absurd that either Clemens or Bonds would whine about not being included when they apparently found no problem lying to save their reputation in the first place.

How about this- when these two man up, and accept their actions, then maybe they can get in. After waiting at least 5 years. Same goes for the others. Own up to it, admit it hurt and embarassed the game when the truth came out, and try to move on. Thing is, with the exception of McGwire, none of them will. And for that- well, stay away.

I'm not very educated on the process and how difficult it will be to get in. I'm curious to see where Kenny lands in. Obviously one of the greatest defensive center fielders of all time. Also a great lead off man. Epic base stealer. Obviously first ballot isn't going to happen, but any idea on where his chances lie? I could be wrong in general, I just always loved Kenny and am curious to see where he lands in this debate.

I'd be pretty shocked if the steroid crew took in more than 25 percent.

All the exposed juicers can stay out. They already got their money, their in stant gratification, and like someone already noted, their numbers are still in the record books. They embarassed the game, along with the players union and owners, and yes, their punishment is they never get a special day all to themselves. I think 20 years of praise and massive contracts should be enough to soothe the wound of not being elected for unrepentant cheats like Bonds and Clemens. Let us not forget, their denials also included embarassing federal trials because these men felt it necessary to lie about their drug use to a federal court. I find it rather absurd that either Clemens or Bonds would whine about not being included when they apparently found no problem lying to save their reputation in the first place.

How about this- when these two man up, and accept their actions, then maybe they can get in. After waiting at least 5 years. Same goes for the others. Own up to it, admit it hurt and embarassed the game when the truth came out, and try to move on. Thing is, with the exception of McGwire, none of them will. And for that- well, stay away.

Then what do we do with all the PED abusers already in the Hall? Because there are some. Players have been trying to cheat at baseball since its origins, it didn't start when Jose Canseco showed up. Steroids have been pretty common among athletes since the East Germans were experimenting in the 50s. Back in the 1800's, players were trying to find ways to increase testosterone. Mays took "red juice", players have been, admittedly, popping greenies left and right for decades. The guy who caught Hank Aaron's record breaking home run admitted to using steroids and said it was widespread.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."