• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Far Cry 3

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Jack brought up The Witcher 2, which is a FANTASTIC game. Very mature story and fun combat. If you don't mind dying A LOT and your a patient person, get Dark Souls. It is one of my top 5 favorite games of all time and is like 20 new.

Dark Souls isn't really my cup of tea, but it got great reviews.

Also, this is only a pseudo-RPG, but Dishonored is an absolutely amazing stealth assassination game with RPG elements. It's the best game I've played this entire year. It's about twenty hours long (provided you explore and do side quests) and has a ton of replay value. The entire last mission can be very different depending on how you play the game, and other missions are affected as well, albeit in more minor ways. It's not open world like a lot of RPGs tend to be, but each level is typically a big sandbox that lets you decide how to play it. As I said (and posted in my Dishonored topic), it's really just an incredible game that anyone who likes video games absolutely needs to play.

Much like Far Cry 3, it has various skills that can be upgraded (or not if you like a challenge) as you play. The best thing about Dishonored, though, is that it basically gives you some tools and gets out of the way. You can play the entire game without killing a single person, or you become the right hand of death and murder everyone you meet. It's also one of the few stealth games that also allows you to play it like an action game. You're not immediately fucked if you get caught (which is why I liked both it and Far Cry 3), as you have powerful weapons and combat abilities, or even the capability to quickly evade anyone pursuing you.

Dishonored was published by Bethesda, but it's not developed by them, so you don't have to worry about it being buggy as shit like every Elder Scrolls game.

Seriously...buy Dishonored. And Far Cry 3. Both these developers made fantastic games that are worthy of your money.

You must have excellent hardware to max out that game. I'm afraid I will have to dial the settings down a tad for it to run how I would like it on my aging i7 860 geforce 480 setup.

I'm getting a free voucher for this game from buying my step brother an ssd.

I also got assassins creed 3 free from a videocard purchase for my gf . Yay pc gaming.

Sent from my ass using tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I really want to like this game, but for some reason I get the impression that it's just a "go to this place and kill these guys" type of game where the missions get stale (I felt this way about GTA IV, "drive here, kill a bunch of guys, drive back", it got old really fast.)

You must have excellent hardware to max out that game. I'm afraid I will have to dial the settings down a tad for it to run how I would like it on my aging i7 860 geforce 480 setup.

I'm getting a free voucher for this game from buying my step brother an ssd.

I also got assassins creed 3 free from a videocard purchase for my gf . Yay pc gaming.

Always nice to get free shit. :)

My specs:
AMD Phenom II X6 100T @ ~3.3GHz
16gigs RAM
GeForce GTX 460

The video card is obviously the weakest aspect, but it's compensated for by the processor and the RAM. I'll probably upgrade the video card sometime in the next six months. I'd do it now, but I don't really see the need while I can still run everything on max. Or I might just build a new computer. :)

I really want to like this game, but for some reason I get the impression that it's just a "go to this place and kill these guys" type of game where the missions get stale (I felt this way about GTA IV, "drive here, kill a bunch of guys, drive back", it got old really fast.)

Well, I mean, it's a shooter. Thus, most missions are going to involve killing a bunch of guys. The main thing Far Cry 3 has going for it is the element of strategy. Most missions allow you to approach them as you see fit. Here are a few of the options the game provides you with in combat:

• Throwing rocks to distract enemies.
  • Shooting animal cages to release dangerous predators.
  • Shooting flares to draw attention to a particular spot.
  • Stealth kills, including chained kills.
  • Fires that spread relatively realistically.
  • Mines and C4, neither of which give away your position.
  • Tall grass that will conceal you from enemies.

Unlike most games, enemies won't magically know where you are if you draw their attention, break line of sight, and then move. You can use this to your advantage when you couple it with the tall grass and the various streams and rivers in the game to flank enemies. Because of the wide open nature of the game, you have tons of options when it comes to each combat scenario, and that helps keep the game fresh. It's not like Call of Duty where you basically follow a linear path from one firefight to the next, all of which are basically identical. You have options in this game, and that's part of what makes it so fun.

The multiplayer in this game; how is it?

This game has been tearing up the reviews.

It has been called "Skyrim with guns", which sounds pretty awesome. Problem is that Fallout was pretty much Skyrim with guns, and I hated New Vegas.

This game has been tearing up the reviews.

It has been called "Skyrim with guns", which sounds pretty awesome. Problem is that Fallout was pretty much Skyrim with guns, and I hated New Vegas.

The difference between this game and Fallout is that Far Cry 3's shooting is actually fun. The shooting in Fallout was fucking awful, which is why they needed the VATS system. They don't need that in Far Cry 3 because the game plays as smooth as any other major shooter.

And for the record, I liked Fallout 3, but a shooter it was not. It may have been first-person and it may have had guns, but the shooting in that game was terrible.

Dark Souls isn't really my cup of tea, but it got great reviews.

Also, this is only a pseudo-RPG, but Dishonored is an absolutely amazing stealth assassination game with RPG elements. It's the best game I've played this entire year. It's about twenty hours long (provided you explore and do side quests) and has a ton of replay value. The entire last mission can be very different depending on how you play the game, and other missions are affected as well, albeit in more minor ways. It's not open world like a lot of RPGs tend to be, but each level is typically a big sandbox that lets you decide how to play it. As I said (and posted in my Dishonored topic), it's really just an incredible game that anyone who likes video games absolutely needs to play.

Much like Far Cry 3, it has various skills that can be upgraded (or not if you like a challenge) as you play. The best thing about Dishonored, though, is that it basically gives you some tools and gets out of the way. You can play the entire game without killing a single person, or you become the right hand of death and murder everyone you meet. It's also one of the few stealth games that also allows you to play it like an action game. You're not immediately fucked if you get caught (which is why I liked both it and Far Cry 3), as you have powerful weapons and combat abilities, or even the capability to quickly evade anyone pursuing you.

Dishonored was published by Bethesda, but it's not developed by them, so you don't have to worry about it being buggy as shit like every Elder Scrolls game.

Seriously...buy Dishonored. And Far Cry 3. Both these developers made fantastic games that are worthy of your money.

The bolded is the exact reason I won't be buying Dishonored, however it does look great. I know Bethesda had literally next to nothing to do with the games making, but still it's a matter of principal. That principal is basically I don't want Bethesda to see another penny from me. In a few months when I can get it used, and Bethesda actually won't see a penny from me, then I will likely get it.

As for the Witcher 2 I own a PS3, and upon googling it I have not been able to find it for the PS3 only PC, and Xbox. That's really a shame if it isn't made for PS3 because the game looks absolutely great. Don't know who it is published/created by, but Bethesda can't make every game I want, can they?

The bolded is the exact reason I won't be buying Dishonored, however it does look great. I know Bethesda had literally next to nothing to do with the games making, but still it's a matter of principal. That principal is basically I don't want Bethesda to see another penny from me. In a few months when I can get it used, and Bethesda actually won't see a penny from me, then I will likely get it.

As for the Witcher 2 I own a PS3, and upon googling it I have not been able to find it for the PS3 only PC, and Xbox. That's really a shame if it isn't made for PS3 because the game looks absolutely great. Don't know who it is published/created by, but Bethesda can't make every game I want, can they?

Yeah The Witcher 2 was originally a PC game and they ported it to the 360, probably due to the similar development architecture. The developers (CD Projekt RED) are mostly a PC developers, so I'm not sure you'll ever see any of their games on the PS3 (or future Sony systems) so long as they keep making profits from their PC development. I don't know who published the game off-hand, but I do know it wasn't Bethesda.

Why do you hate Bethesda so much, by the way?

Yeah The Witcher 2 was originally a PC game and they ported it to the 360, probably due to the similar development architecture. The developers (CD Projekt RED) are mostly a PC developers, so I'm not sure you'll ever see any of their games on the PS3 (or future Sony systems) so long as they keep making profits from their PC development. I don't know who published the game off-hand, but I do know it wasn't Bethesda.

Why do you hate Bethesda so much, by the way?

Damn :(. When I was searching around for the Witcher 2 on bing it brought up a couple of articles/websites that claimed it would be coming to PS3, but there was no time table from what I saw, and one was from 2010 I believe, so it's a couple of years old already haha.

As for Bethesda I love the Elder Scrolls IV, and V, but the jerk around they have been doing to PS3 owners with relations to the DLC is disgusting, and for that I will not buy a damn thing from them again. Like I said I might go get a used copy, which if I am not mistaken doesn't doesn't provide them with any money, although i'm not too sure about how EB/Gamestop works in that regard. I know if I can get it from a pawn shop they won't see a dime.

I mean really three DLC for Xbox, and 0 for PS3, and the games been out for over a year... There comes a point where you can no longer blame the PS3 for being difficult to work with software wise, and that point was oh I don't know half a decade ago after the PS3 had been out for over a year.

I could understand if this was 2006 and they were having problems getting the DLC to PS3. The system was relatively new, and developers hadn't had any experience with it at that point, but here we are years later, and multiple titles later, and Beth is still having a problem realising what I can. You can't just develop a game for the PC/Xbox, and rip it onto the PS3 because the software is too different for the game to be efficient.

This issue really comes down to being lazy, and greedy. They're too lazy to develop the game for PS3 instead of trying to make it the same as the Xbox. They're greedy because they have absolutely no reason to change their cheaper model that they currently use. People still buy their crappy PS3 version that plays like an arcade game at times, so why should they change their model if it would cut down on their profit margin.

My biggest hope is that i'm not alone when it comes to boycotting Bethesda for PS3. I know i'm not completely alone, but there is a good chance that whatever games they release will still be top sellers on PS3 because a lot of people just don't care enough to not buy a game, and then these are the first people who will complain when Beth doesn't release PS3 DLC content, or the game becomes unplayable due to lag like Skyrim was.

What's cheaper, buying a gaming computer or building one? I'm a computer n00b when it comes to the hardware so any help would be appreciated.

What's cheaper, buying a gaming computer or building one? I'm a computer n00b when it comes to the hardware so any help would be appreciated.

I mean, you can buy a decent fully built computer that will run pretty much anything, albeit probably not the latest games on all high settings. Building a top of the line computer is a lot cheaper than having one built for you, though, so if you want a really powerful system it's best to build it yourself.

Newegg is your friend if you do decide to build. They have pretty good prices and they ship fast.

Is this game good on X360?

My PC is like 5 years old and is probably on its last leg, I'm building a new one in the next few months. But I'd like to snag Far Cry 3, it looks great. But only if the 360 version is up to par. Also, is the action as satisfying as it looks? That's a big factor in shooters for me.

Is this game good on X360?

My PC is like 5 years old and is probably on its last leg, I'm building a new one in the next few months. But I'd like to snag Far Cry 3, it looks great. But only if the 360 version is up to par. Also, is the action as satisfying as it looks? That's a big factor in shooters for me.

Haven't played the 360 version, so I have no idea how it plays. I'd recommend checking some reviews.

The action is pretty satisfying in the game. There are tons of weapons and you can pretty much approach most battles how you want. I go for stealth most of the time, but there are plenty of higher-powered weapons you can use if that's your thing. C4 and mines are fun too.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-12: "Max Strus Juice"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."