• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Are the Cavs in danger of becoming irrelevant in this town?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
edit: nevermind

Last edited:
No they weren't. That is a complete lie.

They won 50 games his 3rd year (Westbrook's second) and made the playoffs.

Then they were in the Conference finals his 4th year.

Next year is Kyrie's 3rd year, and Dion's 2nd.

cool story bro....so i was off by one year, don't have a cow. my general point is still the same - after Durant, they were still bad for a while before they were good.

The team was almost watchable with Kyrie and Dion healthy. Without them, it's pretty brutal.

No it's not. Not even close. We built a finals team with one lottery pick.

heh...sorry, but that was a special circumstance...Lebron is a Jordan/Kobe level player. A once-in-a-generation guy like that can carry a team by himself. We don't have that level of player in this current rebuild. Besides, that Cavs finals team was a fluke. They had no business getting to the finals with that garbage roster. Come on - the starting lineup had Larry Hughes and Drew Gooden, along with Boobie and Sasha Pavlovic playing over 30 minutes per game...I wouldn't call that "building a finals team"....more like they drafted Lebron, added some garbage to the roster, and got lucky. The reason that team got to the finals had nothing to do with what they "built"...it was a lot of luck and a perfect storm of circumstances that allowed them to squeak through - the East being terrible beyond belief that year, combined with Lebron and Boobie going into god-mode against Detroit.

cool story bro....so i was off by one year, don't have a cow. my general point is still the same - after Durant, they were still bad for a while before they were good.

They were bad for a year and a half.

After their 3-29 start, they finished somewhat strong and have been winning ever since.

To follow the OKC model we would essentially need to start winning within the next 20 games, and that seems light years away for this team even when they do get everyone back.

People exaggerate their tank to make us feel better about our lack of progress, but they tanked for a year and a half before the light went on.

Our situations are not comparable really.

No, they are not in danger. It's clear we are in "tank" mode with both KI & DW out. Jon, with KI & DW I think they are definitely watchable. I think they are almost watchable now, although still pretty brutal (AV, Pargo, Zeller, TT & Gee are the guys I focus in on).

Now, sell off AV at the deadline and start off the season very slow next year, then maybe we'll revisit this thread.

I will say I haven't watched too many games this year. I am not a fan of the coach or the players for that matter. I don't like the way we are drafting and developing. It also doesn't help that our best player is always hurt. I know people won't agree with me, but I would probably trade Kyrie if a team would give us a good trade.

I will say I haven't watched too many games this year. I am not a fan of the coach or the players for that matter. I don't like the way we are drafting and developing. It also doesn't help that our best player is always hurt. I know people won't agree with me, but I would probably trade Kyrie if a team would give us a good trade.

Why? That would make us irrelevant in this town for sure.

If you traded Kyrie you'd be trading a guy who will probably be a top 3 PG within the next 3-4 years. Who would you even rather have than him considering age?

heh...sorry, but that was a special circumstance...Lebron is a Jordan/Kobe level player. A once-in-a-generation guy like that can carry a team by himself. We don't have that level of player in this current rebuild. Besides, that Cavs finals team was a fluke. They had no business getting to the finals with that garbage roster. Come one - the starting lineup had Eric Snow, Larry Hughes, and Drew Gooden...I wouldn't call that "building a finals team"....more like they drafted Lebron, added some garbage to the roster, and got lucky. The reason that team got to the finals had nothing to do with what they "built"...it was a lot of luck and a perfect storm of circumstances that allowed them to squeak through - the East being terrible beyond belief that year, combined with Lebron and Boobie going into god-mode against Detroit.

I used our own team as an example, there are plenty of other cases that don't follow the OKC model. OKC is the special case that hasn't won anything and doesn't even follow their own supposed model anymore. They only have 4 players on their roster that they drafted - Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka and Collison - that's it. And they were picks 2, 4, 12, 24, so only 3 of their own lottery picks on their roster.

On our roster, we already have picks 1, 4, 4, and 17. When do we start winning?

edit: why put a ceiling on Kyrie? He was simply the best 4th quarter/clutch player in the league last year as a rookie. He needs a complete team around him. Say what you will about that Cavs finals team, but it didn't have anything close to the glaring holes this years team has.

Last edited:
In accordance with the fickle fan statement, I've tried to watch every cavs game post-lebron and without Kyrie and Dion playing i just dont care about the game even a quarter as much as when they are on. Not because i dont love Andy, TZ, Boobie and even TT, but because everyone else on the court is completely expendable and theres no connection with them when you know theyre only in place to support the tank (which is debatable, but i think most people agree sloan, CJ, etc are not long term answers). When Kyrie and Dion are back in the lineup youll see a lot more fan interaction/appreciation, IMO the starting 5 is who the fans associate with. Plus the common fan doesnt realize how damn close 90% of our loses are, they just see the record.

I agree with this 100%, when Irving and Dion were playing I followed every game, with those 2 out, I sometimes forget we even have games, it is so hard to watch, and not worth my time. I don't think this makes me any less of a fan, I still follow the team, but when you have a D-League type talent starting 3 out of the 5 positions, it is hard to watch. Bad Basketball is one of the worst sports to watch.

No, they are not in danger. It's clear we are in "tank" mode with both KI & DW out. Jon, with KI & DW I think they are definitely watchable. I think they are almost watchable now, although still pretty brutal (AV, Pargo, Zeller, TT & Gee are the guys I focus in on).

Now, sell off AV at the deadline and start off the season very slow next year, then maybe we'll revisit this thread.

we were just 2-8 before Kyrie got hurt. We're 2-9 since.

Bad Basketball is one of the worst sports to watch.

It really is brutal to watch, especially in a foul fest. I take my lady to a basketball game, and mind you she really doesn't know shit about any sports. But when you have the likes of Omri Casspi, Tristan Thompson, Samardo Samuels and CJ Miles being bone heads and hacking the opposition it really ruins the experience.

Did I really just pay 100 dollars to watch David Lee shoot endless free throws?

So fellas, take my advice, if you want to take your lady or even just your friends to see a Cavaliers game, it's best to go when we play a team that plays minimal defense and would rather outscore you than to grind you into a pulp using their defense and grit. Go to a Clippers game or a Wizards game.

Whatever you do, don't go when we play Chicago... Thibodeau's squad has ruined many a pleasurable watching experiences.

Although it won't be popular, I would give Irving one more year to stay healthy. If he can't, statistically he never will. While it would be great to have him when he is healthy, eventually the cavs will want to contend for some kind of playoff spot with the hope of winning. If you can't count on your best player to be there, can he even be your best player? If after next year he misses significant time again, I would quietly shop him and see what is offered. No, you probably wouldn't get a comparable PG, but there are serviceable ones in upcoming drafts, and if your offered a similar talent at a position of need for him, plus certainly picks, I don't see how the cavs can avoid this route if he can't stay on the floor.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."