• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Building with Ferry

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tornicade

2018 RBF League Champion
Reaction score
Danny Ferry took over a team that had appeared to met its ceiling competitively and strapped down flexibility wise.

Atlanta was built as a team. they never really depended on one player. Their problem has been no team chemistry. a group of talented individuals that could not play consistent ,disciplined team ball.

Que in Ferry who immediately took steps change all that.

July 11, 2012
Traded Marvin Williams to the Utah Jazz for Devin Harris.
Traded Joe Johnson to the Brooklyn Nets for Jordan Farmar, Anthony Morrow, Johan Petro, DeShawn Stevenson, Jordan Williams, a 2013 1st round draft pick and a 2017 2nd round draft pick.
July 12, 2012
Signed Lorenzo Williams as a free agent.
Signed Louis Williams as a free agent.
July 16, 2012
Waived Jordan Farmar.
Traded cash to the Chicago Bulls for Kyle Korver. Atlanta also received a trade exception from Chicago.
July 30, 2012
Traded Willie Green to the Los Angeles Clippers for Sofoklis Schortsanitis. Atlanta also received a trade exception from Los Angeles.
September 17, 2012
Waived Jordan Williams.
September 27, 2012
Signed James Anderson as a free agent.
Signed Carldell Johnson as a free agent.
Signed Keith Benson as a free agent.
Signed Damion James as a free agent.
Signed Anthony Tolliver as a free agent.
October 11, 2012
Waived Keith Benson.
October 17, 2012
Waived Carldell Johnson.
October 27, 2012
Waived James Anderson.

Waived Damion James.

While people focused on what the Hawks Loss. peopl are ignoring what they have to build around

Al Horford (26) , Jeff Teague (24), Louis Williams (26), Josh Smith (27), Ivan Johnson (28)

Now Atlanta goes into the Off season with 19 million in committed Salary and 4 players with multi year contracts.

presto instant flexibility.

If Danny loses smith he still has horford and louis Williams who has played at such a high level for 4 years people cant dismiss as readily as they did in philly.

Danny is set to revamp the roster as he did in Cleveland twice around James. only now he knows what works and most importantly what not to do.

I liked ferry honestly. I think there was a unspoken rule not to trade anything of value to the cavs during his tenure. The thing that destroyed him is that 0-3 of his major free agent signings played up to their contracts.

Ferry is a smart guy, I don't think anyone ever doubted that when he was in Cleveland. He's almost a wizard when it comes to maximizing return on trades. The Mo Williams, Jamison/Ilgauskas and Shaq deals were impressive because we had zero flexibility trying to appease LeBron, and yet we were still able to get those players for essentially a sack of magic beans. The megatrade in 2008 was big for the team as well.

But it wasn't just Ferry who grew from that time. Grant, his understudy, also learned that much. The difference is in the speed of the rebuild. Where Ferry has a lot of pieces to work with from the beginning, we had none. And we turned them into better pieces each time.

Give credit to them both for pushing it through. And Sam Presti who built the Thunder well from 2007 and on. And the entire Spurs organization where these 3 men truly received the gift of building a team.

But it wasn't just Ferry who grew from that time. Grant, his understudy, also learned that much. The difference is in the speed of the rebuild. Where Ferry has a lot of pieces to work with from the beginning, we had none. And we turned them into better pieces each time.

Give credit to them both for pushing it through. And Sam Presti who built the Thunder well from 2007 and on. And the entire Spurs organization where these 3 men truly received the gift of building a team.

Holy crap you have a freaky avatar

I liked ferry honestly. I think there was a unspoken rule not to trade anything of value to the cavs during his tenure. The thing that destroyed him is that 0-3 of his major free agent signings played up to their contracts.

So the 29 other owners colluded in order to keep LeBron down while in Cleveland allowing him to form a super team in Miami? Sorry, that makes no sense. There was no "unspoken agreement" or collusion. They just couldn't swing the home run deal.

Which is not to say I didn't like Ferry. I thought he did a good job. I just think the conspiracy theories are bogus.

Conspiracy theories are going to pop up when NBA executives goto team owners and try to dissuade them from hiring someone just because they were from the spurs organization or contact players going into a playoff series and threaten them about the way they play.

One thing Danny Ferry deserves MAD credit for is unloading MEGA busts. Nooo no I'm not talking about his pearl necklaces, or twelve ropers, I'm talking about bloated contracts.

Larry Hughes and Joe Johnson were considered two of the biggest recipients of outlandish, untouchable contracts. I'm convinced at one point, I saw Larry Hughes miss about 400 jumpers in a row, over a period of 3 months, his jumpshot was on par with oh lets say a Wally Szczerbiak at age 40 suffering from gout. People thought Hughes was untouchable, I for one thought we were going to have to swallow that contract and just accept the fact that nobody in their right mind would trade for Hughes and his toxic contract.

Ferry'd

Joe Johnson is widely considered to have gotten the most ridiculous contract of the past 5-10 years. It's no knock on Johnson, he is a very solid player, but to pay him like Shaquille O'Neal in his prime was just idiocy by the Atlanta Hawks. And yet again

Ferry'd

He really has unloaded some crazy toxic contracts that were widely considered untouchable.

One thing Danny Ferry deserves MAD credit for is unloading MEGA busts. Nooo no I'm not talking about his pearl necklaces, or twelve ropers, I'm talking about bloated contracts.

Joe Johnson is widely considered to have gotten the most ridiculous contract of the past 5-10 years. It's no knock on Johnson, he is a very solid player, but to pay him like Shaquille O'Neal in his prime was just idiocy by the Atlanta Hawks. And yet again

Ferry'd

He really has unloaded some crazy toxic contracts that were widely considered untouchable.

Man and if he dosent get this stupid offer he goes to chicago and who knows maybe lebron stays ringless

I'm not sure Ferry would agree he "learned a lesson" (presumably from the summer of 2005). But I think it safe to say that even though he lacks the superstar he had in Cleveland, he likes his situation in Atlanta better, at least once that he got himself out from under the Joe Johnson contract. Ferry turned down the Philly job (and perhaps others) before eventually taking the Atlanta job. I sense he would have been fine staying on in the San Antonio FO till the right situation presented itself -- he was dealing from a position of strength, which (incidentally) shows that there are a lot of people around the league who appreciate his work in Cleveland. (Personally, I am inclined to believe he couldn't realistically have done much better with the Cavs, and that the team he assembled had a very good chance to win in his last two years, though on less charitable days I still blame him:chuckles:

I think he learned a lesson. his plan was to get the team athletic and younger to surround around lebron but they were pressured to tget guys like jamison and shaq who eally had no impact in the playoffs. In other words. Ferry will build the team his way not the "players" way

I think he learned a lesson. his plan was to get the team athletic and younger to surround around lebron but they were pressured to tget guys like jamison and shaq who eally had no impact in the playoffs. In other words. Ferry will build the team his way not the "players" way

Any pressure he put on himself. He dictated his terms to Gilbert when he took the job (full control, no Larry Brown as President), and supposedly he resigned when Gilbert started forcing decisions down his throat.

Yes, he wanted to build a younger core around James, but he didn't get that done when he had cap space, and he didn't get it done when he had draft picks, and he didn't get it done when James was entering free-agency.

It certainly wasn't for a lack of trying, and maybe he'll have better luck this time ... but if he was supposed to be tanking, he's not doing a very good job of it. They have 5 players who are 26 or younger this season, and they had 5 players last year. He's brought in a lot of veterans, and they seemed headed for a 50-win season.

By comparison in the two seasons when we won 60+ games, we actually had 11 players who were 26 or under - albeit some of that was due to turnover.

Ray Allen didnt think seem to think Ferry was in full control.

as fars as your speculation he resigned because gilbert was down his throat more than not speculated he resigned because of lebron and being tired of the club being at lebrons mercy.

dont try to sugarcoat lebrons influence on personnel decisions during ferry's reign or that it want a factor in some of the teams decisions.

Ray Allen didnt think seem to think Ferry was in full control.

Ray Allen didn't think James was all that. At least that's what he said at the time. His comments since have oddly drifted.

as fars as your speculation he resigned because gilbert was down his throat more than not speculated he resigned because of lebron and being tired of the club being at lebrons mercy.

The buck stops where?

dont try to sugarcoat lebrons influence on personnel decisions during ferry's reign or that it want a factor in some of the teams decisions.

What? Were they supposed to tank for lottery picks rather than building a team that could contend and finish with the best record in the league for two straight years? When you have a talent like James you either build around him or you move him.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."